July 2014 Moms
Options

AW- Is this name "asking for it"??

Re: AW- Is this name "asking for it"??

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have friend who used Rowdy as a middle name and his first name is quite common. I like it for a middle name.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    It's NMS but it's not completely out there either. If I had to teach this kid, I'd never love the name but could probably get used to it.

Unless your surname makes it something weird like Rowdy Mann, in which case you're just being mean.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I like it. I have a cousin named Rowdy. He is a precious 1 year old. There is also a Clint Eastwood character in a movie that's name is Rowdy Yates.
  • Options
    I just can't think of a professional person being named rowdy. It's awful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
  • Options
    I would use it as a nickname only. Maybe it's because I'm used to the New York professional world. People with serious jobs here for the most part don't have names like that. A nickname that he can use or not as an adult depending on how he feels about it just seems much better to me.
  • Options
    I would use it as a nickname only. Maybe it's because I'm used to the New York professional world. People with serious jobs here for the most part don't have names like that. A nickname that he can use or not as an adult depending on how he feels about it just seems much better to me.
    @brooklynesque  Yes, I can definitely see your point. 

I've been trying to talk DH into the name Wilder.  Kinda has the same vibe, but slightly more sophisticated.  For those of you who hate Rowdy, do you like Wilder better?

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 

• Options
    Wilder has the advantage that it doesn't sound as much like a dog's name, imo, but it still doesn't sound like a person's name.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    Haha, ok. I met a "Wilder" at a party in high school and thought he was such a cool, fun guy.  Also, I love Gene Wilder.  Doesn't really matter, though, I don't think I'm going to be able to talk DH into it anyway!  :)

FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!

• Options
    What about as a middle name so you could call him that and if/when he grows out of it he can fall back on his first name?

• Options
    I would go for Wilder before Rowdy. And FWIW, DH actually likes Rowdy, which is strange coming from someone who doesn't like any of the new/modern names.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Who says your kid will want to grow up and work in an office setting? He might be into sports or art or building things. There are so many paths to take in life and I don't think a name like Rowdy will prohibit him from achieving his full potential. Maybe Rowdy doesn't seem like the name of an accountant but this kid might not pursue that type of career even if his name is Mike. He may choose to become a contractor which can be just as profitable and fulfilling of a career. Who knows the name may be perfect for him.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't hate Rowdy as much as some people, but Wilder is much better. I think because you're in the South, you can get away with either. I think there are "real" names out there that are worse. Name your kid what you'd like - I have a feeling that in 20 years, we won't be seeing as many "professional" names in the business world.
  • Options
    iris427 said:
    Honestly a name isn't going to keep you from a job, if you work hard towards it. Will you have to work a little harder to distinguish yourself? Sure, but it isn't the end of tr world. Especially, as business culture and American culture shift to be more progressive. If YOU like it, go for it.
    I don't think it will keep you from a job, but it will keep you from a lot of interviews. When has been shown in studies. 
    Yep.  People do get judged by their names in the real world.  That has been shown in studies again and again.  And honestly, I think it's hard enough for boys in today's world where they have to sit still in school for hours, kids are getting diagnosed with behavioral problems right and left, etc., without having a name that literally labels them as a loud troublemaker right from the start.

Someone else in this post asked why we need to take baby names so seriously?  Because this is an actual person you are naming who will have to live with this name.  It's not a pet puppy.  You should take that responsibility somewhat seriously.

But to each their own, it's your kid.
    @iris427 I'm literally just curious if you think a doctor would diagnose a child with a behavioral problem and take the name of the child into that consideration.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    pfeilele said:
    I have a feeling that in 20 years, we won't be seeing as many "professional" names in the business world.
    True story. All you have to do is take a a quick survey of the names at your local preschool or playgroup ... It's getting to the point where it's almost weirder to have a traditional name like Robert or Michael.

• Options
    pfeilele said:
    I have a feeling that in 20 years, we won't be seeing as many "professional" names in the business world.
    True story. All you have to do is take a a quick survey of the names at your local preschool or playgroup ... It's getting to the point where it's almost weirder to have a traditional name like Robert or Michael.
    I wonder what percentage of the overall names are the Top 10 names, since they're 95% traditional (minus Jayden). I know that the name list is a lot longer now than it was 50 years ago, so the popular names are much more diluted than Mary and William were back in the day. 

Does that make sense?

This has nothing to do with OP just me thinking through my fingers. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    Wilder > Rowdy

but still NMS. 

Would he be called "Wild"??? Then that still doesn't get rid of the rambunctious connotation associated with Rowdy. ::shrug::

• Options
    ETA:  Are you guys southern?  For some reason I feel like nobody would blink an eye at a yuppie person named Rowdy in/from the South!  ;-)  
    Yes, we are from the south  ;)

I'm from the South & the only person I knew named Rowdy was a guy in California that couldn't hold down a job. So I vote no.

• Options
    I keep reading Wilder to rhyme with Wilbur or Wilmer and then I remind myself it's Wild-er and I want to scream "more wild!"

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    Yup, it's "more wild". :)
    While I can see how some people could have a problem with the connotations of rambunctiousness; that's kind of the idea, actually. We don't see it as a negative thing, we see it as meaning more like "fun loving". Well, that's DH's stance, at least....I'm still hanging out on the fence.
    I do really like the idea of the naming our kid something that means "fun loving" :)

• Options
    I like Wilder much better than Rowdy FWIW.

• Options
    Yup, it's "more wild". :) While I can see how some people could have a problem with the connotations of rambunctiousness; that's kind of the idea, actually. We don't see it as a negative thing, we see it as meaning more like "fun loving". Well, that's DH's stance, at least....I'm still hanging out on the fence. I do really like the idea of the naming our kid something that means "fun loving" :)
    What dictionary are you using?
    Yeah, there's that....do you know of any other names that mean fun-loving that I could suggest to DH?

• Options
    Whatevs I think it's cute.
    BabyFetus Ticker

image image

• Options
  • Options
    My first thought was actually Laura Ingalls Wilder. Not Gene.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. :) If you and your DH LOVE it, then who cares? If your kid hates it, then they can change it.

With that said, I do think Wilder > Rowdy. My college mascot was named Rowdy, so all I think about with that name is a roadrunner.

Also, we're naming our son Ryder, which I don't think is too weird, but according to some people in this thread, it's awful.

I'm also from Texas so we must not be "sophisticated" I guess.

:-??

To each their own.

• Options
    LOVE the name Rowdy!  I'm going to name my behbeh Douche.  Pronounced D-wah-sh.  It's not the same as fun-loving, but I get what you mean because I know my son is going to like pretty-smelling vaginas.

You're cute.... 8-|

• Options
    @whitestofknights   Welcome to July '14, nice to meet you  ;)

• Options
    Thanks @PregsMcSnoozalot!!!!!!!!!  Nice to meet another free-minded mamma!!!!  I think you and I are going to be besties because WE know how to name babies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"