August 2014 Moms
Options

Registry Question- Bottles/Nipples

Just a quick question for you all. I saw on the registry checklist at BRU that it was recommended to register for bottle nipples with various flows. STM's+, are they necessary? Or are the nipples on the bottles sufficient? I'm trying to stick to the basics and wasn't sure which direction to go on this one. Thanks in advance!

Re: Registry Question- Bottles/Nipples

• Options
    Great question! I thought the same thing when I saw the checklist. I ended up just registering for 2 different types of bottles and that was it...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't remember registering separately for nipples, but the Avent and Dr. Brown's bottles that I received had slow flow with them.  I can't remember when we switched to medium and high flows, but I didn't register for things I wouldn't really need right away.

• Options
    aelhuntaelhunt member
    edited April 2014

Yes. You will want to have slow flow at the beginning and move through them as the baby gets older. I used 1s, 2s and we tried to skip 3s but 4s were too fast so we got the 3s and then moved back to 4s.

DD would get too much at once and it would spill out and make a huge mess or she would spit up because she wasdrinking too fast. IMHO they are a nonnegotiable.

'I loved you for a thousand years and I will love you for a thousand more'

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We only used slow flows.  My oldest was switched to all formula at 7 months, and he still used slow flows the whole time.

My youngest was breastfed until 16 months, and we of course used slow flows whenever he got a bottle. 

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Options
    We used just the basic Slow Flow / Newborn size nipples for the entire year she was taking a bottle.  It was breastmilk though so we wanted to make sure she took her time and wasn't over eating.   

Totally a not necessary thing IMHO. 
    CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy #3 after two prior losses in 2013

EDD 8/18 

• Options
    MC03 said:
    If you plan to breastfeed most breastfed babies only use slow flow so I would just buy bottles with slow flow nipples and nothing extra, if you plan to formula feed those babies generally do switch at some point. However the nipples really are not expensive and since you aren't even sure at this point what bottle LO will like I would just register for bottles and forget any extra nipples. Yeah, you might need them later but that is an easy thing to pick up yourself once you need them and know exactly what you need.
    Yep all of this!

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
    5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
    DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

• Options
    Great, thanks everyone!!
  • Options
    When I got back from registering at BRU I immediately called my girlfriend (FTM and infant daycare teacher) and asked her about bottles. She basically gave me the same advice... To just stick with a breast pump "starter pack" like Medela or something and go from there. Although I did register for two glass bottles just out of curiosity - plus I can imagine glass is a little safer to heat up than plastic And i hear peope swear by the glass ones...
    has anyone tried/use glass bottles??
  • Options
    We used the slowest (non-preemie) flow, the ones that came with J's bottles, until he was about 9 months. Then he kept collapsing the nipple and DC suggested moving to (I think?) stage 2. He never got to the fast flow ones. Some breastfed babes never go past the newborn flow at all.
  • Options
    Daycare requested faster flow nipples for their convenience, not for DD's good, around when she was 8-9 months old. They wanted her to eat faster so it would be easier for them. I declined since I didn't want them to waste any more breastmilk than they already were wasting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"