May 2014 Moms
Options

Stupid question about bassinet and bumpers

With DD we used the bassinet in the PNP, but she hated it and had reflux so we moved her to the Rock N Play for several months. It was great, but I worry about the flat head issue, and going back to sleeping flat was a pain. A friend just dropped off a PB Kids wicker bassinet for us to use, but it has a bumper.

https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/bassinet-and-mattress-pad-set-2014/?pkey=bcribs&

Am I crazy, or isn't that totally not recommended anymore for any sleeping area? Not trying to start a huge bumper debate, just checking if there's any reason to believe it would be OK in a bassinet for the newborns but not OK in a crib... Of course my instinct say to put it in the garage and get something else, but I thought I would check with you all first to see if I'm missing something.

Re: Stupid question about bassinet and bumpers

• Options

Bumpers in a crib once baby is rolling around at night =/= padding on the side of a bassinet.  Neither is okay once baby is rolling around, both seem like NBD when baby is still a stationary blob sleeping three feet from you.  That's just my thought on the thing though.

That's what I would think as well.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'd see if I could take off the bumpers and just use it without. But I'm super paranoid and can't hand;e the thought of using bumpers at all. 
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    danabsddanabsd member
    edited April 2014
    It's about adequate circulation. If the bassinet has enough the bumpers should not be an issue. As pretty as it is I personally wouldn't use that.

And FFS, RNPs do not cause flat head.

• Options
    Aren't the bumpers on that removable? My mom ordered that bassinet for us (haven't got it yet, on backorder) and the bedding set that came separate includes a bumper, which we won't use. I'm assuming you could just remove the bumper on yours instead of getting something else. 
  • Options

First of all, that is very pretty! Second, you can probably remove the bumper if you feel that it isn't safe. I would be a little worried about LO rolling into the wicker (assuming she is still in there when she begins to roll) because it seems scratchy. You can always have custom mesh bumper made if this ever becomes an issue, or you can even make one yourself.

https://liberatedmind.com/2011/05/breathable-crib-bumper-a-tutorial/ 

I say if you like the bassinet enough to spend a little time with it you should get it!

That One Gal From Alaska :)

• Options
    A friend of mine is letting us borrow the same bassinet. She gave it to me without all of the bumpers and skirt. I plan on using it like that. I agree it's about air circulation. 

Wow I didn't realize it was so expensive! I had better make sure my crazy 3 year old stays far away from it!
    <center>  </*center>

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    We went to a few hospital classes and the visiting pediatrician and instructors all said the same thing - no bumpers. Gave a bunch of literature that's all google-able... :-) Pretty bassinet though, I'd just take the bumper out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our bassinet doesn't have actual bumpers, but it does have a pretty heavy liner. I'm comfortable with it, especially in the early months while the baby isn't mobile and is only a foot from our bed, and also because we use a ceiling fan that keeps the air circulating well.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    Thanks ladies. We have decided not to use the bassinet (scared of the bumper, and wicker alone seems weird for baby), so we'll try our PNP bassinet and see how that goes. At least Amazon has one-day shipping for a RNP or something if this LO doesn't like the PNP!

• Options
    drjwjdrjwj member
    I don't think that's a stupid question at all!  I wanted a bassinet and never could find one that seemed super safe to me so we  are just planning on using the PNP for now.  They all seemed to have some sort of thick lining or bumper-like material!  It's not just about circulation, it's about if they squirm over and get next to it and can't breathe, which is why the mesh ones aren't sanctioned by the AAP either.  I am extra paranoid when it comes to SIDS though.
    Married April 2009 
    TTC since May 2010 
    2011 Unexplained IF
    Spring 2012: Tried Clomid x3 with TI, BFN 
     IUI #1 with clomid Sept 2012 BFN 
    IUI #2 with clomid Nov 2012 BFN
    IVF #1 with half ICSI, 2 embryos BFN
    IVF/ICSI #2 May 2013 BFN
    FET Aug 2013  beta #1 247, beta #2 866!!!!!!!

Due date 5/15/14!!!

imageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    drjwj said:

I don't think that's a stupid question at all!  I wanted a bassinet and never could find one that seemed super safe to me so we  are just planning on using the PNP for now.  They all seemed to have some sort of thick lining or bumper-like material!  It's not just about circulation, it's about if they squirm over and get next to it and can't breathe, which is why the mesh ones aren't sanctioned by the AAP either.  I am extra paranoid when it comes to SIDS though.

Me too. A good friends of mine had her daughter die of SIDS (in a safe environment while at day care) so I am reeeally paranoid.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"