Baby Names
Options

The name Reed..common? where? opinions....

I love the name Reed & I'm kinda curious how common it is & where its used most frequently & just people's opinions on it. I live in Cleveland, OH & have honestly never heard the name other then on TV shows. What do you ladies think?imageimageimage

Re: The name Reed..common? where? opinions....

• Options
    Jags8Jags8 member
    edited April 2014
    I really prefer the Reid spelling. I know one Reid who is like 27. It's not my naming style, but it's just fine.

Edit spelling
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I prefer Reid too. The only one I know IRL is 30, but I see it often on TB. I really like it.

ETA: I currently live in Washington state and have lived in numerous states in the western US.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love Reed/Reid (prefer the latter spelling). I'm in the South and rarely hear it here.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Options
    I prefer the Reid spelling. I went to high school with one (he'd be 35 now). I don't know any others.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    We have a Reed College here, and its filled with mostly pot heads. Therefore, Reed has a negative connotation in my book. I've never actually met a person named Reed though. 

• Options
    It's our top boy name. I prefer Reid. I've never met one IRL.

• Options
    ashie624ashie624 member
    edited April 2014
    I have a friend whos sons name is Reed. He turned one in Feb. Were in WI.
    July 13 Siggy Challenge December'14: Christmas/Holiday Movie
    Bonus: Ugly Sweater

photo 89022d03-637e-4c13-aa0a-686e2c5d2bd8_zps58cec4a3.png
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I've never seen or met a Reed.  I have a friend with a son that used Reid, but it's the middle name.
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    I grew up in upstate New York and it was never popular (only last names). Currently living in CIncinnati and still know no Reeds!
    Due September 12, 2014!
    It's a BOY!!
  • Options
    I prefer Reid.
    ~Married 12.09.12~
    ~NTNP #1 since 11.14 - Current Cycle: 2~
    imageimage

• Options
    1A1A member
    I know a Reed that is about 3, lives in the midwest. And my almost 2 yo has Reid as his middle name in the north east. I like the name
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I know one baby named Reed I live in the Midwest and do not hear it often although I only know a handful of babies.
  • Options
    I went to HS with a Reid and I really like the name. It was my top choice but DH vetoed. He doesn't like surnames as FNs and Reid is a surname to him. We do know a couple of people with the LN Reed.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • Options
    emmy236emmy236 member
    edited April 2014
    I'm a mommy to a Reed (currently live in the South but originally from NY). We get tons of compliments on it and he's the only little Reed/Reid I know. I have only know two others. One is my dad, whom my little guy is named after and then one guy in college so he's probably 30-32 now. When I hear people explain why they used the name usually have a link to it as a last name. My father is named after my grandfather's friend whom he fought with in WWII. His friend was killed before my dad was born and my grandfather wanted to honor him. The guy I knew in college said it was his grandmas maiden name.
  • Options
    Funny thing...if we were to use the name Reed/Reid I would probably use Leslie as the middle name because it is my fathers name. My father was also named after my grandfathers friend who died in WW2. Thank you for the input..love this name :)
  • Options
    I have a 5 y/o named Reed.  It is definitely not common around here, but he is not the only one in our town.  We met a little boy named Reed at music class once and a friend of mine named her baby boy (1 y/o) Reed.  I am obviously partial to the Reed spelling.  It just looks right to me, but I grew up with it since it was my dad's mn and his mother's maiden name.  
  • Options
    Reid is my favorite boy name right now. I am in Pennsyalvania and know a family with the surname and one 5 year old with this name.
  • Options
    I have a Reid - obviously I preferred the i spelling. I've met a few others of all ages, but I've been really happy with it as a name almost everyone recognizes, but few people actually have. 
  • Options
    I know a few Reid/Reed's that are under 3. I don't think it's overly popular though. I like the name Reid, but dislike the Reed spelling. I feel like reed is a noun and Reid is a name.
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    I do not know any one by the name Reed unless you count a child on my soap opera name Reed.
    (Me)
    (32)
    Jonathan Hunter (Adopted)
    (2-27-10)
    TTC #1

• Options
    In 2012, there were 39 baby boys named Reed born in Ohio. That means it is exactly as popular as names like Louis and Trent. It is slightly less popular than Finn and Bryan (40 boys) and slightly more popular than Oscar, Maverick, and Trey (38).

Reed is not the most popular spelling in Ohio, though. There were 63 baby boys named Reid born in Ohio in 2012. If you add those together (102 boys), Reed/Reid ranks around #130 for boys in Ohio, similar in popularity to names like Weston (102 boys, Jude (104), Max (105), and Leo (106).

Year-to-year, Reed is most popular in Midwestern and Great Plains states like Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Missouri, and Ohio, along with New Hampshire.
  • Options
    I like Reid a lot. Great name.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Options
    ashie624 said:
    I have a friend whos sons name is Reed. He turned one in Feb. Were in WI.
    I grew up in Wisconsin, and one of my good friends is named Reid.  He's now 31 or 32. 

I like the name, but I do think it's one that really needs to fit with a last name.  I think it needs a longer (2 or 3+ syllable) last name.  Otherwise it could sound a bit silly. 
  • Options
    I like the name and prefer the Reid spelling, but if we use it as a mn it will be Reed since it is a family name.
    image     image

image    image

• Options
    We loved the name but I think it's off the list because of how it flows with our last name.
    CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy #3 after two prior losses in 2013

EDD 8/18 

• Options
    I don't know any Reid's. I am from IL.

#2 BFP 8/23/14, EDD 5/1/15, M/C 9/17/14 - Forever in our hearts <3

• Options
    Thanks a lot thats actually very helpful :)
  • Options
    bromios said:
    Fairly common in marshy areas.

I've never actually met a person named Reed IRL (have lived in NM, MI, IL, and the UK), and I kind of feel like the name is silly, but a lot of people around this board seem to like it with the spelling Reid. 

Edit: OP, I may be lukewarm on this name choice, but I am laughing hysterically at pretty much your entire siggy.
    This literally made me laugh out loud.  Tea almost came out my nose.

OP - I agree with a number of the posters that Reid is the more common spelling, but I think the name is great!
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"