Working Moms
Options

Lunch Ideas

I need to start bringing my lunch. It makes so much sense, and is healthier and cheaper. I guess I'm tired of the same ole sandwich. Any healthy lunch ideas y'all have?

Re: Lunch Ideas

• Options
    Dinner leftovers, soup, quesadillas, personal pizzas
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love leftovers! And salads. Also, frozen pizza is a huge weakness of mine, though I guess that can't count as healthy! Lol. I've been terrible about bringing lunches lately, and I need to get back on that horse.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love dinner leftovers @jf198400, but I have a big family so leftovers are most of the time, non-existent. And I love Pizza as well, but the lean cuisine @MommyAtty. I just have to remember to grab them at the store.
  • Options
    i eat a lot of dinner leftovers for lunch as well.

any kind of salad with whole grains is really tasty: https://www.bonappetit.com/tag/grain-salad-recipes
    they hold up well and can be dressed at home.

dole also has these new bagged chopped salads that are really good. they have crunchy vegetables in different combos- like cabbage, carrots, kale, etc. there are also kits that come with dressing. they're somehow more satisfying to me than a regular salad.

• Options

Since DS and I eat dinner at different times still, I will sometimes make something in the crockpot on a Sunday night and put it in serving-sized containers for the week Monday morning.

This week I did vegetarian chili with sweet potatoes.

• Options
    I try to incorporate any random small amounts of leftovers into my lunch in salads, wraps, or burritos.  I also cook chili and stew with the intention of having leftovers.  I portion into ziploc bags and freeze flat.  In the morning, I stick one in my lunch bag along with a microwaveable container. 
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    tricia560 said:
    Microwaved "baked" potato with cheese, and possibly veggies.  If we make bacon on the weekend, I save a slice or two for my potato...not exactly healthy, but worth it.

We also plan meals intentionally to have left overs, and set aside our lunch portions before serving up dinner.  We do homemade spaghetti sauce with pasta for dinner, then maybe a baked ziti the next night, then take leftovers from that to work.  Make extra pot roast or meatloaf, or a huge stir fry with extra rice.  If we do Mexican food one night, I save the extra meat and beans and either make a taco salad or do a quesadilla.

Any of the above can be more or less healthy, depending ;-)
    A roast sounds so good right now and I think I am going to make one here soon. lol I think I need to start using my crock pot more bc when I do, I always have a ton of food left. Or when DH and I pre make casseroles, there seems to be a lot left. And I am so loving the meatloaf idea as well.
  • Options
    ss265ss265 member

I like the Kashi frozen meals - I feel like they are somewhat more healthy than other frozen meals you might find. They are really low in calories though (usually 300-400) so you might get hungry a couple of hours after eating them.

• Options
    I make big batches of soup and freeze in smaller portion. Thaw for a few servings. I bring lots of leftovers. I also often bring a tub of hummus with veggies and crackers. Throw in a yogurt and snack bar, and I'm all set.
  • Options

I usually have leftovers or a salad.  I am going to experiment soon with making and freezing burritos that I can heat up at work.  My husband was looking for more grab and go lunches.  Also thinking of making fruit or veggie cups on the weekend and leave them in the fridge for the week to grab and go as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I like to make soup or chili and have leftovers for lunch. Today I have a hummus wrap and some vegis. I always think that making a salad is too much work, but it actually doesn't take too much time.

I've actually found that if I designate one day a week to buying lunch that I'm more motivated to bring a lunch the other days.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Options
    Leftovers, usually.  I pack my leftovers in smaller portions, so I also take some fresh fruit, a cheese stick or babybel, some crackers, and maybe a granola bar.  We plan meals specifically to have leftovers for lunch.  I'm weird and don't like sandwiches.....
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    Trader Joes has some decent frozen lunch items. I like the burritos.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    I love the Taylor farm salads....I get two bags a week. I also pack apples, trail mix, protein bars. Leftovers too! I try to eat only one time a week, I hate the food options and its so expensive!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ss265ss265 member
    thedash said:
    Trader Joes has some decent frozen lunch items. I like the burritos.

Trader Joes also has these packaged salads that are surprisingly filling. Great for a quick lunch if you don't feel like packing your own salad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"