May 2012 Moms
Options

garden updates

Any progress this week?

I put up turkey wire fence to block of the "front" yard (it's technically the front yard but off to the right as the house is off center on our lot). I don't think this will keep the deer out but it will make it easier because we won't have to worry about the dog running off when we are in and out of the back fence. I moved some edging rocks to make a new small garden. Picked up some organic soil and a couple of two hook shepherds poles for either pots or topsey turveys for tomatoes and strawberry plants. Luckily the mosquitoes haven't come out yet because they are awful around here. Our indoor sprouts are doing amazing. Might actually risk putting some of them out next week and will plant more inside in case we get frost again. The spaghetti squash are getting much to big for the starter trays. I totally want to call in sick tomorrow and do more work, but I probably won't since we are still short handed at my job...but it is tempting.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: garden updates

• Options
    Our garden is mostly volunteer plants, eg tomatoes and pumpkins that grow from ones we composted. I'm bummed to say that the neighbors cat dug out our only squash.
  • Options
    All my spring plants (potatoes, carrots, lettuce, spinach) have tiny seedlings popping up. I have the itch to plant the summer stuff (tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, squash) but think I need to wait another couple weeks, especially since I do them from seedlings instead of seeds.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    GromMom said:
    Our garden is mostly volunteer plants, eg tomatoes and pumpkins that grow from ones we composted. I'm bummed to say that the neighbors cat dug out our only squash.
    Awesome! I call those "bonus plants" and they usually do better than my intentionally planted seeds.

• Options
    Volunteer tomatoes tend to carry the blight so be careful.
    Well we still have frost in the ground so too early still!! When I get back from my trip I'll plant seeds inside so the day after Easter :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    I had to look up blight because I didn't know what it was, funny thing is that fuzzy fungus or whatever killed many plants we planted before we got the volunteer plants. The one we have now has probably given us 30 lbs of tomatoes and is over a year old. Its also about 15 feet in diameter because dh doesn't stake his tomatoes and just let's them grow wild. I have to day that the tomatoes are all ugly and really only good for sauce but whenever we get about 15 tomatoes dh makes a delicious sauce. I wonder if this why other plants we have bought haven't fared so well. We have a poinsettia in the same bed as the tomato that also got that weird lead fungus
  • Options
    @GromMom heirloom tomatoes are usually "ugly" (e.g. weird shaped) but tastier than standard tomatoes. Is that what yours may be?

• Options
    I wish I lived some where warm!!!
  • Options

@GromMom heirloom tomatoes are usually "ugly" (e.g. Weird shaped) but tastier than standard tomatoes. Is that what yours may be?

I don't think so because these are not that tasty, I mean they're not bland supermarket tomatoes in winter treating but they are not just picked from the garden, juice running down your arm because you had to bite into one good if you know what I mean :-)

• Options
    Sounds like a cross or hybrid from what you had planted! You wouldn't get a heriloom seedling if you had planted one before.

The blight kills tomatoes from the end by the stem down, and the plant itself gets black lesions on it.

Fuzzy fungus is different if white it's powdery mildew if black it could be a few things.

Ps it's only 29 here this am.... So no planting here! :(
  • Options
    Ah, its that white stuff. I'm learning quite a bit here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"