Breastfeeding

How can you speed up feedings?

My DD eats every 3 hours. Lately, she will want to eat for up to 2 hours. She will suck slowly the whole time. If I break her latch she starts routing again. When I even START to break her latch, she sucks really fast. I think my milk supply is fine. I can feel my boobs fill up, then become soft when she is done. When I pump in the middle of the night. I get 6oz in a 15-20 minute session. She still will not latch without a nipple shield.  She also has multiple food allergies, so her weight gain is very slow. I am scared to pull her off to soon because she needs to gain. What's going on? Is she still getting any milk after she has nursed that long? How can I help her become more efficient? Do you think I should contact a lactation consultant? Thanks!

Re: How can you speed up feedings?

• Do breast compressions while she nurses.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Ditto the pp post try breast compressions while nursing. Check out this link from Kellymom.com on breast compressions.

https://www.kellymom.com/newman/15breast_compression.html

BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would make an appointment with an LC. In the meantime, though, you can try doing breast compressions while she's nursing.

Also, the nipple shield may be slowing down her nursing. Have you tried using it for the first five minutes, just to prime the nipple, and then breaking her latch just long enough to remove the nipple shield?

My DD needed a nipple shield to latch onto my left breast (I have one inverted nipple) at first, but we only used it for about a week, and never longer than 5 minutes at a feeding.

HTH

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"