Houston Babies
Options

How do I stop the biting?

I know that he is too young to understand what he is doing. But, it HURTS !! I cant discipline him. But, he likes to bite. And, he does it to everyone. I'm afraid my kid is going to be the one that bites all the other kids in school

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

I give him things to chew on but, it doesnt seem to help

Re: How do I stop the biting?

• Options
    When I was nursing Joshua I would tap him on the nose when he bit me and I would tell him "no, that hurts."  I think that would work.  What is he biting?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Is he biting people?  If so, our pedi told us that they do that for attention.  When you tell them no, then you give them the attention they are seeking.  Negative attention is still attention.  Pedi suggested that we walk away for a few seconds and ignore him.  After a couple of times, DS realized that he would not be getting any attention from us if he bit us, so it stopped.   

If he is biting while breastfeeding, I would try what Charlotte suggested.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

my best friend's son was a biter. yes, it's all about attention... the ignoring is a great option, imo.

what my friend did, at the suggestion of another friend, is watch to see when he would bite and try to prevent it as much as possible so it didn't become a habit. it got better but it did take a long time. in fact now he is 27 mos and still bites when he gets frustrated. some kids hit; some kids bite.

• Options

DS was biting for a couple weeks - it was when he was getting tired and needed to go to bed.  I'm not sure why but luckily that didn't last for long.

He has done it for attention before when I was busy with someone else or playing with another baby/kiddo - I would pick him up, tell him no and then set him down on the floor by himself and walk away.  After a couple times doing this he has stopped.

• Options

Karey - I think it might be because he is tired. 99% of the time it is when I am rocking him for a nap or bedtime. I usually pull him away and tell him no. I guess I will just have to give it time. He hasn't bitten anyone else except me and DH.

Thanks everyone !

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"