D.C. Area Babies

Great Beginnings vs. Buy Buy Baby -- delivery charges? service?

The crib that I think I want is available at both Great Beginnings and Buy Buy Baby.  I've heard great things about the service at Great Beginnings, both in the store and for delivery and set up of the furniture, but I don't know anyone who had a crib delivered from Buy Buy Baby.  Any thoughts on Buy Buy Baby's delivery service?  Any idea what each store charges for delivery and set up?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Great Beginnings vs. Buy Buy Baby -- delivery charges? service?

• I'm interested to hear the answers to your question! ?Also, I have a "piggyback" question - how is the selection at BBB compared to Great Beginnings? ?We're looking for a good quality, but inexpensive crib and didn't have a whole lot of luck at BRU. ?Do you (or anyone) recommend one or both of these stores for what we're looking for?
  • I got our crib from GB, so can only comment on them. ?Their service was amazing. ?The guy who helped us in the store (Joe) was really wonderful and even remembered us when we came back in the store about 3-4 months later! ?The delivery service was $75 for delivery and set up (to DC), and they did a great job and even drilled extra holes and showed us how to transition the crib mattress lower.?

The cribs are definitely a little expensive at GB - more than BBB, but we liked the selection a lot better at GB and went for one of their less expensive but still nice models. ?Both are worth checking out. ?Good luck!?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, emack!

Fun2Dream -- Also check out IKEA for less expensive cribs.  Baby Bargains mentions the Hermelin and Sniglar models as good options for less expensive cribs and gives IKEA an A rating.  I think someone here (maybe crazydcbride?) has an IKEA crib.

• We are actually supposed to get our nursery furniture that we ordered from GB delivered next week (yay!). One thing that isn't huge, but could even out the delivery cost a bit is that when you have something delivered to VA from GB, you don't have to pay sales tax.

A good friend of mine did get her baby furniture delivered and set up by BBB and she said they did a great job, but I'm not sure what the charges were. 

• We had all of the nursery furniture delived from GB.

Crib, 6-drawer dresser, 2 night stands, hutch, bed rails and toddler rail.

I just happen to have my nursery notebook right here :-)

We did get 20% some of the items we ordered using coupons from competitors. Ask if you HAVE to get the coupons...I have heard you don't HAVE to.

As for delivery...it includes set up: $65 for the first piece and $10 for each additional.

Delivery was great! I was told it would be 10-14 weeks for it to arrive and it was 2 weeks! They held it until we were done painting. The guys who brought it in were clean (covered the floor and carpet), prompt and very nice! They put everything where we wanted it and set everything up beautifully!

• No experience with the delivery, but we just ordered our crib from BBB this past weekend- yes, I know, it's late. But we got our AP Industries lollipop crib for $250 (after using a $500 off coupon). Other prices I've seen for the crib are closer to $400, but I'm not sure if GB has our crib or not. I really like BBB compared to BRU, but my experience with GB is more limited.
  • GB is awesome.  HUGE selection, extremely knowledgable staff and great service.  I went to BBB after visiting GB and hated it,  jmo of course.  We got our crib and glider from GB and paid no sales tax since we live in VA.  Be sure to check out their clearance section.  I found the exact crib I wanted for $300 less, all b/c it was listed as a different color on the box.  My friend got a gorgeous glider in that section at a faction of the cost.  They are prob pricier than BBB, but you can use coupons.
  • We got our furniture from GB.  I think delivery was $50 or $60 for the first item and then each additional piece is an extra $5.

I'm not sure what the other postie's budget is, but we got the Bonavita Peyton convertible for $420ish - it turns into a full bed.  But I think the drop-side in the Peyton line is in the $290 range.  I think it is really sturdy furniture and Baby Bargains gave it an A-

• We've gotten all our furniture from Great Beginnings and while we haven't had anything delivered yet, I found the entire experience so far to have been great.  Delivery was $75 for the first item and then $10 for each additional big item - and we've got about 3 separate orders on our shipment.  Weve gotten a few other little things like our mattress and there's no delivery fee for it as well.  

From what I was told when we went to BBB for a rocker, delivery was more expensive you can't keep adding things to your order.

• imagebh2720:

We are actually supposed to get our nursery furniture that we ordered from GB delivered next week (yay!). One thing that isn't huge, but could even out the delivery cost a bit is that when you have something delivered to VA from GB, you don't have to pay sales tax.

A good friend of mine did get her baby furniture delivered and set up by BBB and she said they did a great job, but I'm not sure what the charges were. 

It's true that you won't have to pay sales tax to GB, but technically you are supposed to pay the tax on your VA tax return.  It goes on the line about online & out-of-state purchases where you didn't originally pay a state sales tax.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"