Stay at Home Moms

The SAHM Book Club: Let's Get Started!!!

The SAHM Book Club

This group is for all moms and moms-to-be who would like to read more books in 2009 as well as to get recommendations from others and maybe even offer a bit of encouragement to those needing some motivation. 

**This group is open to anyone, at anytime, just reply to this post and let us know you?d like to join the weekly check-in!  Then, pick up a book and start reading! **

You can choose any books that you like and set your own goals for 2009; there isn?t a required reading list nor are you required to check-in each week but we?d like to encourage you to so that we can all share the books we loved and help each other stay away from the ones we didn?t! 

The only rule is NO SPOILERS when recommending the book to others or participating in weekly check-ins - try your best to be brief and vague.  :)

Current Particpants:
Aimee0289
aras3k
baby_lance
BlessedMommy723
brightning
EnglishMajor03
gatogrrl
GirlGenius
ithadtobeyou
JDCSKF
jenn7200
Littlemermaid
mich2004bride
Mnheidi
Mrscollecton2b
Mrsnemitz
ncsubride
Rach03k
Sept17.05Bride
Stacy625
tmrtink
TobeMrs.Shavers
tonysbride2b
xabbyz

1.    Let?s set a reading goal for 2009!  How many books would you like to read this year?  I?ll put that number by your name and we?ll track our progress together!

2.    Do you already have a book in mind that you are going to start with or that you have already started reading?  If yes, what is it?  If you already have a list of ?to read? books, share it here!!!

[Poll]

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

Re: The SAHM Book Club: Let's Get Started!!!

• I'll commit to 2 books a month = 24 books in 2009.  I've already read 2 and I highly suggest them:

Three Cups of Tea

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

• I would love to join! I'm a book-aholic so I'm trying for about 75 books this year!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I will commit to reading 12. Wish i could do more- but i just don't see it happening. And this comes from someone who used to read three books a week. Blah.

hmm-

I am open to reading anything and everything.

I loved the 'other boelyn girl' -- however that is a really long one!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I will try to read 24 books this year (2 a month). 

I have already read: 

Fearless Fourteen (Janet Evanovich) and I am currently reading Plum Spooky (also by Janet Evanovich).

Kerri

• I'll commit to 25 books. 

What I've started is We Took to the Woods (Louise Dickinson Rich).  It's kind of like Little House on the Prairie, only written for adults.  This woman and her husband moved to the middle of nowhere in Maine in the 1940s.  In the funniest scene so far, she's making dinner for a logging camp and ties her 4 year old to a tree to keep him safe -- that wouldn't go over so well these days!

Next up is The Line of Beauty (Alan Holinghurst). My husband just finished this and loved it.

• I will commit to 40

Right now I am reading Pretenses by Lori Wick

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Sounds good!  How about 12 books for me, hopefully I can surpass it.  It's hard finding time to read between laundry, dishes, and a baby!

I've read Multiple Blessings, I got it as a Christmas gift from my SIL.  I never really watched Jon and Kate Plus Eight, but it was a decent book nonetheless.  Makes me appreciate my ONE baby!

I'm in the middle of the first Twilight book, but am getting stuck.  Too "vampiry" for me!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Please add me!!  I will commit to 20 books this year.  I will have a newborn in May so that may set me back (lack of sleep, feedings, etc.)  I will do my best though!!

I have been wanting to read "The Shack" and "A New Earth". 

Happy Reading!!

Beth

• Can those of you who are reading currently, give a brief synopsis of the book so I know whether to add it to my list?  I think that would be helpful, I'm always looking to broaden my reading horizons which normally consists of chick lit!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 1.    How many books would you like to read this year?  I think before I said I'd commit to 20 for the year.

2.    Do you already have a book in mind that you are going to start with or that you have already started reading?  I don't really have a list, just whatever i feel like reading. I'm also in a IRL book club - the next book we're reading is Olive Kitteridge. We just finished One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus, which I HIGHLY recommend!
  • I'm in so long as we don't have to read any Twilight books!
  • What a great idea! Please add me. I just started reading The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb.

https://www.amazon.com/Hour-I-First-Believed-Novel/dp/0060393491/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233017104&sr=8-1

• I would love to join you ladies!  I'm hoping to read 25 books this year. 

2.  I just sat down to read "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" by Alison Weir.  It was whose research Philippa Gregory ("The Other Boleyn Girl") based her character's on (I think:).  I loved "The Constant Princess" and "The Boleyn Inheritance".  Both were great reads. 

Anyone read the Wideacre series?  Worth the read?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1.    Let?s set a reading goal for 2009!  How many books would you like to read this year?  My goal is 20 books this year.  I already read 'Breaking Dawn'

2.    Do you already have a book in mind that you are going to start with or that you have already started reading?  If yes, what is it?  I am about to start reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer
  • I really like this idea. I'll start by saying I'll do 12 this year. Being pregnant with a 9 month old and an 11 year old, doesn't leave a lot of free time.
  • I will commit to 50.

I just finished The Shack for MOPS book club and then I read Chelsea Handler's My Horizontal Life yesterday. So funny but not very thought provoking! ;)

• 1.    Let?s set a reading goal for 2009: I decided a few weeks ago to challenge myself to read 100 books this year. I'm also blogging about it, just to give myself some structure. (www.rachelreadingbooks.blogspot.com)

2.    Do you already have a book in mind that you are going to start with or that you have already started reading?: Right now I'm on book 9, I'm reading "Emma" by Jane Austin. I have quite a few on my "to read" list.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would like to be added (I replied to the other post as well, but a little late).

1. My goal is going to be 30 books this year.

2. I am going to start with 'Mother Nurture' by Stephanie Hirsch. 'The Seekers Guide' and 'Broken Open' by Elizabeth Lesser are next on my list.

• Ok I will commit to 15 and hopefully I will be able to surpass it. I used to read one about every 2-3 wks but since I am taking a class online at night I don't think I'll be able to commit to much more..but maybe I will be able to!

I recently read:

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, which is part of the Outlander series, so I plan to read the next one in that series next. The series is about a woman who travels back in time from 1940's UK to 1700's Scotland and falls in love with a guy there even though she is married to another man in the 1940's. Sounds hokey but they're pretty good.

I also recently read The Secret History by Donna Tartt, that was my first one for this year. I did not care for it, it was very dark, had to do with homicide and drug use by college students and I didn't like how it ended. Very creepy. If you are into creepy stuff you might like it.

I can't wait to see everybody's suggestions! I also plan to try to read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, since someone told me it was really good.

Happy reading girls!

• Hi

My measly goal will be 10 books. 

I'm already toward the end of Crime and Punishment, which has been really good. 

• 1. I'd like to read 36

2. I'm currently reading, How to Raise an Amazing Child by Tim Seldin...great if you're interested in Montesorri.  I'd like to read the Olive series by Carol Drinkwater, but I got The Olive Season (2) instead of The Olive Farm (1)

• My goal is 12 books.

Right now I'm reading Snow by Orhan Pamuk. It's about a poet who returns to his hometown in Turkey to investigate a series of suicides by women forced to remove their headscarves, and also he hopes to marry a former love.

Up next will be Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. I've loved all her other stuff, so I bought this one.

• I'll commit to 12 books!

I recently finished Who Murdered Chaucer by Terry Jones, which was excellent if you're into that subject matter, and just started re-reading Chaucer - His Life, His Works, His World by Donald Perry.

I am a Chaucer dork, as you can see. I'll go with something a little more interesting to the rest of the world for the next one.

• imageEnglishMajor03:

Hi

My measly goal will be 10 books. 

I'm already toward the end of Crime and Punishment, which has been really good. 

I'm down for 10 as well; I'd love to read more, but I'm stuck reading a bunch of dry-as-hell boring crap for school instead. 

I just finished re-reading I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max (and can't wait for the movie!).  

I started, failed, started again, and finally gave up on Geek Love by Katherine Dunn.  I'm generous and will give a book 100 pages to grab me, but it failed.  A lot.  

• My wimpy goal is going to be 12 books. I read slowly to begin with, and with my little 3 month old Bean don't know how focused I'll be. HOWEVER, depending on how I do the first month I might re-evaluate my goal!!! I'm off to the library to FINALLY read the Secret Life of Bees-before I see the movie that is!
  • Please add me! I commit to 12 this year. I am currently reading eat, pray, love!

• Please add me to your list. I'm defitnely looking for more "mentally stimulating activities.: Not that Blue's Clues and listening to Laurie Berkner don't count!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • imageNotwifezilla7:
    Please add me to your list. I'm defitnely looking for more "mentally stimulating activities.: Not that Blue's Clues and listening to Laurie Berkner don't count!
    I forgot to add my goal and what I'm currently reading.
    I just finished American Girls About Town- A collection of short stories from various chick lit authors. I think I'm heading to the library when DD wakes from her nap. My goal is 20 books this year.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Add me to the list, please. 

I'll commit to reading 25 books this year.  

I started this horrible book called The Nature of Monsters by Clare Clark.  Needless to say, I've set it aside and started Jodi Picoult's Vanishing Acts.  I love it. 

• I'm going to try to read 12 books this year.  I'll compile a list and get back with you.  I'm supposed to be swapping some books with my SIL this weekend.  So I'll update you on the book I'm starting on Monday.
  • I have been averaging 2 a week, since fininshing grad school in Dec., so maybe 50 books this year?

I am just about to start My Sisters Keeper

• I would like to join.  I don't have any recommendations but I am always looking for good books to read.
  • I just got done reading the last of the Twilight series. I know some don't like it, but I thought they were all great books. I also read Glitter Baby by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, it was really good.

I think i'm going to to state James Patterson's - Cross next. Anyone read it?

• I'm going to commit to 20. I'm in a bookclub IRL but have only read/gone to half the meetings. Hoping to be better about it.

I've already read The Magdalen. It's an Irish bestseller based on the Magdalen laundries in Ireland. It's an account of one woman who went through it. It's sad but a good read and I like to research the books a little after reading and I found out that the last real Magdalen laundry closed in the 1990's!  For shame! 

I also just finished reading Funny in Farsi (a memoir about growing up Iranian in America - very funny and a quick read).

Mrsnemitz, I loved One Thousand White Women - definitely recommend it. And I can't remember who was going to read Bel Canto but I love that story too!  I don't know what I'm going to read next.

• Please add me to the list.

I'll commit to reading 25 books this year.

Last week I finished The Shack and I'm almost done with How Starbucks Saved My Life.  I loved the Shack and would like to know what other readers thought about it.  The Starbucks one is interesting but not a very exciting story.  Kind of cool to hear about this 60+ year old guy's experience working there.

• I'll join! I'm going to be having our first baby in May, so I don't know how well reading will go after that, but I'll shoot for at least 25 books. I have an MPhil in Literary Studies, so reading is obviously my passion :-)

Right now I'm reading The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread by Don Robertson. My DH originally picked it out and really liked it, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's nice so far, but not really my style. It's about a young boy in 1944 Cleveland, and follows his journey on foot to visit his friend on the other side of town. If you prefer plot-driven novels, this one probably isn't for you. However, if you like character-driven novels that follow the emotional and intellectual development of a character, I would recommend it.

Other books I've read this year are mainly pregnancy and parenting-related, and most were gifts from my parents. Unfortunately, they were also by Dutch authors, so unless you can read Dutch (I am originally from Holland), I'm afraid I can't really recommend them. My favorite has been a book about instilling common etiquette in children aged 0-4, written by the former nanny for the Dutch royal family. If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to post a condensed version ;-) 

• 1. My reading goal this year is 100 books. ?I might not make it though since dd is due in a couple weeks, but I'm going to try. ?

2. I've already read 8 books this year. ?Right now I'm reading The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. ?I'm not sure what I'm going to read after that.?

imageimage
  • I use to always have a book in hand but the last year i think i've only read a hand full i'll commete to 2 a month

• I would also love to join. I think I'm going to aim for 24 books this year. Two a month.

I'm about to start The Godmother.

• I just finished a book last month---so I guess that doesn't count :-)

I have started another one already though.  I would like to commit to five books this year.  I have other priorities that won't allow me to commit to more than that.

The book I'm reading now is called "Flip the Script" by Aisha Ford.  The one I just finished and would recommond is called "Divas of Damascus Road" by Michelle Stimpson.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"