Pennsylvania Babies
Options

When did you start wearing maternity clothes?

I swear I am going to need maternity clothes by next week.  My pants are all getting uncomfortable and I really thought with me being so tall that it would take longer for me to show.  Maybe it is still bloat but if I wear a tighter shirt you can definitely see a small bump.  I've been eating really good since I got pregnant so it can't all be fat either.  Just wondering if I am way early or what.  Do those belly bands really work? 

Re: When did you start wearing maternity clothes?

• Options

I started wearing some pants early on, like 8 weeks because I had gained 15 pounds with Raymond that I hadn't lost so all my pants were tight before I got pregnant again.  Especially jeans.  Don't feel bad if you need to wear them at 12 weeks.  Once you start wearing them you will never want to not wear them!  So comfy!!!

I personally did care for the Belly band.  I tried it a few times and just didn't like it but I know some people love them.

• Options

I didn't have to start wearing maternity pants until about 16 weeks or so.  I am 5' 8" and it took me forever to start showing.  I also have some extra weight, so I think that attributed to my late showing too.

I didn't try the bands, so I can't help you there.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never tried the Bella bands - I was a fan of the rubber band trick (loop the rubber band around the button, through the loop and back around the button). That worked for me until about 20 weeks, until I started wearing maternity pants. I realized how wonderful it was to never unzip or unbutton and I haven't gone back!

I really like how the Old Navy panel pants fit, especially their jeans. I didn't have much luck with Motherhood Maternity. Now that I'm later in the pregnancy I can't stand the shorter (2-inch or so) banded pants. I feel like they always slip down the back.

Happy shopping!
  • Options
    Oh, and I bought some of the cotton dress pants from NY & Company that did not have have zippers or buttons - I can still wear them. They still make me look professional, but they feel like pajamas. They also come in short, regular or long, which I need for my short legs!
  • Options
    If I didn't have looser and longer shirts, than yes I would have needed something by 12 weeks.  The bella band was my lifesaver with pants.  I think I was able to wear many of my regular pants until 28-30 weeks because of the band.  I have read that they don't work for everyone, but they sure helped me.  Good luck!
  • Options

Yeah I think I may just try buying one pair of pants and see what happens. 

Sara, that's funny because I am 5'10" so I really thought it would take much longer for me to need maternity clothes.  When the pants that are normally huge on me are snug (like today) it's soon time for me to look into maternity stuff. 

• Options
    I had to start wearing maternity pants at 8 weeks, but I was having twins lol.  Shirts I think around 12 weeks.  I didn't like the belly bands, but I know lots of people love them.
  • Options
    I started wearing maternity pants at 9 or 10 weeks because of the bloat. Like pp said, they are AWESOME. So comfortable when you have the early pregnancy bloat! I started wearing maternity tops at around 16 weeks, but I really didn't need them until 20 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I loved the Belly bands! ?I wore them almost the whole pregnancy, even with some of my maternity pants because some of the Old Navy ones did not have belt loops so I needed something to hold my pants up. ?That is my advice, for the under the belly pants, if you are going to get them, make sure they have belt loops! ?Or they will fall off! ?I probably started wearing maternity with Eli around 8 weeks or so because i was so sick i could not have things touching my body. ?Plus, I was really excited to show off that iw as pregnant. ?This time I'm 7 weeks and i am starting to feel that my ?pants are a little tight, but only a few pairs because most of my jeans were big already because of losing so much weight after having Eli. ?Have fun! ?You'll be sick of the maternity clothing by the end, haha.
  • Options
    I'd say around 10 weeks or so, but I can't remember exactly.  I also did the rubber band trick until I was about 20 weeks.  I loved maternity pants so much that I was afraid I'd forget to zip my regular pants when the time came.  Somehow you remember.  I guess it's like riding a bike!  Haha!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Probably about 16 weeks but I did the rubberband through the button hole trick for a while.  I highly recommend a Bella Band.  I think I'll use it even more for support as I get bigger.  Try Tomorrow's Child behind Applebee's on the Carlisle Pike for maternity clothes.  I found a lot of nice stuff there.
  • Options
    I am one of those avid bella band lovers. I used mine for so long..it did the trick for me. I was never really a fan of maternity clothes, so the bella band was my lifesaver. I don't think I really started wearing maternity clothes until around the 20 week mark.
  • Options

I started around 14 weeks.   They were so much more comfortable than any of my pants with zippers.  I had one pair of low rise jeans that I was able to wear a little longer, but I gave up on those and gave into the comfort of the elastic! 

• Options
    I am still wearing regular clothes but I can't wear everything still.  I was overweight to begin with.  I gained a few lbs before my first appt at 10ish weeks but haven't gained anything since although the weight is moving around a little bit.  I have heard good things about the band. Better to be in maternity pants than uncomfortable!  I already have a small stash ready to start the second I start getting to that point.
  • Options
    I think I wore my first pair of maternity pants at 15 weeks but could still fit into most prepg ones at that time.  I bought a bella band type sleeve from motherhood and honestly, didn't care for it for very long.  It held up a pair of too big maternity pants and I wore it over unbuttoned prepg jeans once but maternity pants were more comfortable.  Same with the rubber band trick - that was fine until I needed to use the bathroom and felt it was too much work.  Maternity pants were much easier...no adjusting, undoing to use the bathroom, etc.
    {Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I I started mixing in maternity pants around week 10ish. I found some good deals on pants at Kohl's and really appreciated the elastic waist! I was and still am all about comfort. I stopped messing with the rubber bands pretty quickly and just wanted to wear something that felt good. I didn't try the belly band, but like I said, I just wanted comfort...and my elastic pants were! If you're feeling ready, I say go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"