Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

What about children in outgrown car seats?

SIL has my newphew in the carrier he is 13 months and about 25 lbs (definitely over 30 inches). How do you get her to see that its DANGEROUS!

Re: What about children in outgrown car seats?

• Options
    Ask her point-blank why she hasn't moved him up.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
  • Options
    good question
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd ask.  some seats go up higher than my snugride (22lbs).  maybe she's still within the limits? 
    Mommy to Seth (4) and Catherine Anne (13 mo.) Excited to welcome a third child in March of 2013!
  • Options

She claims she does not have the time to go get a car seat right now.  MIL is in hospice at a nursing home and SIL spends all her time with her there. 

Also, she said it will be expensive for her since she has to get one for each car (both her and DH drive the kids around).  But, when I told BIL he said they never bothered getting convertibles for the other kids (currently 15, 10, and 4) so he said they will just leave him like that. 

• Options

imagejoecubed:
    I'd ask.  some seats go up higher than my snugride (22lbs).  maybe she's still within the limits? 

If you see my nephew and the car seat you know that he is way over the limits for the carrier.

• Options
    Yeah do you know what seat it is?  My Graco SafeSeat goes up to 30 lbs. and 32 inches
  • Options
    That's really sad :( If you've already said something, I'm not sure what else you can do. But that's incredibly selfish and negligent on the part of your SIL imo.
    Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker,Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker image
  • Options
    imageluciagdelopez:

She claims she does not have the time to go get a car seat right now.  MIL is in hospice at a nursing home and SIL spends all her time with her there. 

Also, she said it will be expensive for her since she has to get one for each car (both her and DH drive the kids around).  But, when I told BIL he said they never bothered getting convertibles for the other kids (currently 15, 10, and 4) so he said they will just leave him like that. 

What? They left their other kids in the carrier until what age? 

• Options
    I'm sorry you are in the position, but I'd suggest that you keep trying to talk to her.  maybe they can just get one convertible?  we ended up doing that.  DS hasn't outgrown his snugride yet, but we noticed that he seemed to be getting close so we went ahead and bought a britax.  now we have the "luxury" of having a seat in each car, but we will just trade cars when necessary like we did when we just had the snugride.
    Mommy to Seth (4) and Catherine Anne (13 mo.) Excited to welcome a third child in March of 2013!
  • Options

imagevanillacourage:
    Ask her point-blank why she hasn't moved him up.

I agree with this.

Some people we know still have their almost 2 year old in his infant seat!!!  I've only heard this through others, but if I actually see this myself, I plan on saying something.

• Options
    imageluciagdelopez:

So, the problem is both your SIL AND your BIL.  I would ask them why $100 and convenience is worth their child's safety.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
  • Options
    I would just go buy him a convertable seat.  I would rather use my money and buy him a seat than have something happen to him.  Money is money.  A childs life is precious.
  • Options
    imageugabrat@yahoo.com:
    imageluciagdelopez:

Basically once the carrier was way too tight then they just let them ride in the car freely w just the seatbelt. According to other BIL this was at a year and a half. She has the 4 yr old that IMO should be in a booster riding w just a seatbelt.

I hate to gossip about her but I just dont understand her thinking. Other BIL told her the same thing (to get a booster for the 4 yr old and a convertible for the 13 month old) and she just blew him off...her own brother!

I guess I was hoping there was a brochure or something I could send her.

• Options

imagecarrann82:
    Yeah do you know what seat it is?  My Graco SafeSeat goes up to 30 lbs. and 32 inches

Mine goes to 30 as well

• Options

imageluciagdelopez:

www.kyledavidmiller.com

just posted by summerly, along with a bazillion other sites in the RF posts below.

• Options

i don't know.  i might offer to go get it for her (to be reinbursed) if she didn't have time.  idk how to argue the saftey being worth the expense without becoming confrontational...

if it helps, this is the one i got:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012746

it has pretty much all of the benefits of the britaxes.  side impact, no threat slide-adjustable harness, adjustable headrest, latch connectors, and it's rear facing to 35 lbs.  it even converts to a booster later to hold a child up to 100lbs.  with a 15% coupon at bru, it's like $170.

just worth putting it out there.

edit:  the latch connectors make it incredibly easy to transfer from car to car.  we only have one and it gets transferred from my car to dh's to my mom's on a weekly basis.  it takes all of 2 minutes to install.

• Options

Well, I'm not sure about a brochure, but it makes me absolutely SICK to think of even a 4 yo riding freely in a car. My 4 yo is in a Marathon with plenty of room to grow. He grew out of his seat in DH's car (Evenflo Triumph from a few years ago) and I still won't put him in a booster. A 5 point harness is still so much safer.

It REALLY pisses me off that people are that selfish and nonchalant about their child's safety. It she'll actually use the seat, yeah, I'd buy her one too.

And btw, it is still ILLEGAL for any 2, 3, or even 4 yo to be riding without a carseat, so I would think that would be motivation enough.

• Options
    And btw, I'm NOT jumping on you, so I hope it doesn't come across that way. I just think it's really sad that your SIL would be so negligent :(
  • Options
    imagejoecubed:

imageluciagdelopez:

www.kyledavidmiller.com

just posted by summerly, along with a bazillion other sites in the RF posts below.

I was just going to say show her a video.  I would also just keep on her to get him in a bigger seat. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    yeah, if you can afford it, i'd say buying her one as a gift would be the least confrontation way to ensure she has the proper safety seat.
  • Options
    imageluciagdelopez:
    imageugabrat@yahoo.com:
    imageluciagdelopez:

Basically once the carrier was way too tight then they just let them ride in the car freely w just the seatbelt. According to other BIL this was at a year and a half. She has the 4 yr old that IMO should be in a booster riding w just a seatbelt.

18 months and riding in NOTHING?  This is ILLEGAL!  I would call the cops or CPS.
  • Options
    imageSummerly2:

Well, I'm not sure about a brochure, but it makes me absolutely SICK to think of even a 4 yo riding freely in a car. My 4 yo is in a Marathon with plenty of room to grow. He grew out of his seat in DH's car (Evenflo Triumph from a few years ago) and I still won't put him in a booster. A 5 point harness is still so much safer.

It REALLY pisses me off that people are that selfish and nonchalant about their child's safety. It she'll actually use the seat, yeah, I'd buy her one too.

And btw, it is still ILLEGAL for any 2, 3, or even 4 yo to be riding without a carseat, so I would think that would be motivation enough.

My old boss used to try to get me to pick up his then THREE year old without a car seat in my car!!!!!  THREE YEARS OLD!  He said, "Just strap  her in!"  I told him I was absolutely not comfortable with it and insisted I always use his car to pick her up... until I realized he had no car seat in his car, just his wife's!  This man is no pauper, either... just didn't care, apparently.

• Options
    thanks for all the feedback ladies.  We just bought a car seat and have a bunch of other expenses with DC#2 on the way so unfortunately we cant afford to buy my nephew one. But, I will definitely keep hounding her.
  • Options
    And really, this relative can't afford $40 for a Cosco Scenera for just one car????  Just drive the kid around in that car for the time being!  Jeeeeez.  Put it on a credit card if money is that tight... ask for money from someone!  Something!
  • Options
    imagecitygirl_:
    imageSummerly2:

My old boss used to try to get me to pick up his then THREE year old without a car seat in my car!!!!!  THREE YEARS OLD!  He said, "Just strap  her in!"  I told him I was absolutely not comfortable with it and insisted I always use his car to pick her up... until I realized he had no car seat in his car, just his wife's!  This man is no pauper, either... just didn't care, apparently.

That's sick. I really can't help but putting stuff like this on the list of child abuse. Sorry.

I just feel bad for these defenseless kids :(

• Options
    imageluciagdelopez:

idiots!  It's completely illegal here- we have to have our kiddos in the proper carseats/boosters until they're 9 years old. I'm not 100% sure what the penalty is, but from what I hear, it's pretty steep.

And if she doesn't have time, she should have thought about that before having kids.   It takes 10-15 minutes to pick up a carseat, she could do it on her way home- no?

DS 06.26.08 DD 10.23.10
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"