Oregon Babies

Kaiser Ins

Hello Ladies!!  Im wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences dealing with Kaiser...we're trying to concieve and debating switching our health insurance to Kaiser....I live more on the west side so I would probably give birth at st vincient....thanks for any imput!!

Re: Kaiser Ins

• I currently have Kaiser and did throughout my pregnancy and have mixed feelings about them. The things I love include the inexpensiveness of services, ease of seeing a doctor last minute if needed, the advice nurses tend to be helpful, and I loved my midwife. I don't love the long wait in the waiting room at times and I don't love dealing with membership services. In my opinion, they're not helpful at all (took calling three times to ensure they added my son to the insurance, even though my HR had faxed the form repeatedly). Also getting the forms from them to get short term disability is kind of a pain.I delivered at St. V's and LOVED it! My labor nurse was amazing, the labor rooms were huge and relaxing, and had their own showers. They only have one jacuzzi tub from what I could tell, but I didn't much like it anyways. My postpartum nurses weren't in and around as much as I would've liked, but I'm kind of independent, plus by the time the second one was on shift word had gotten out that I am a nurse, so I think the assumed that I didn't need much and would ask if I had questions. The Midwife who delivered me had a med student with her, who I let do the delivery, which actually was a great experience because he could do the technical stuff with her guidance while she could pay more attention to coaching me and helping my husband with suggestions of things that might help soothe the pain (i went med-free).That got really long, but hope it helps!
  • Thanks for the insight.  I've had kaiser in the past and didn't love it....But the price difference for giving birth is quite a difference atleast on my plan options.  Definatly something to contemplate.

• Loading the player...
  • I love it.  THe nurses are great, the advice nurses are also awesome and I really haven't had much to complain about.  Unlike the pp, I never really had long waits in the waiting room and our DD was added immediately. Although, I guess if I really think about it, sometimes I felt like the doctors were a bit impersonal and were in a rush to get us/me in and out during my appts..  Could just be me though.  :)  Either way my OB was Sandra Reed and also Rhonda Chick.  I saw Dr Chick when Dr Reed was booked up (which she got booked up a lot because she was only part time).  Both doctors are out of the Beaverton office and were really great overall.

I also gave birth at St V's and it was great there too!!  The nurses (especially the younger ones) were super friendly and super helpful.  I wish the chair/bed thing was more comfy for DH, he hated sleeping there but thank goodness it was only for 2 nights.  Dr Reed was not on duty the night I gave birth and had a midwife help instead.  That was okay, but she was a little off to me.  Again, could have been me since I was on drugs (good stuff!!).  :) 

Good luck with everything! 

• Did you like the doctor you saw up untill the delivery?  Or the 2 drs you saw?  This whole midwife thing makes me a little nervious...

• Oh yes, I definitely liked both the doctors I saw!  Dr Reed is an OB while Dr Chick is a FNP.  They were both great.  At first I was a little weary that I was going to have to see 2 different doctors during the pregnancy process, but it actually wasn't that bad and both pretty much knew by reading through each other's notes what was going on.  (I had a pretty easy pregnancy though, so that could've helped in the 2 doctor thing...)  I googled both doctors actuallly and their names came up with good "reviews" if you will.  Hahah.  Dr Reed has been doing the OB thing for a really long time and is very experienced.  I remember our first appointment with her--she was just real and didn't sugarcoat anything.  She got our humor and we got hers.  I/we were very comfortable with her. 

The midwife thing....yah....again, it could have been the drugs, but the nurse that helped me deliver was more vocal in helping me push than the actual midwife.  Again, that was all fine anyways since I was on the epi, but in retrospect, I just didn't have a good vibe from the midwife.  Although, I believe the midwife did have a big part in not letting me tear while DD was coming out.  When you're there, in the moment though, you just don't care who was delivering or even in the room for that matter, I just wanted DD out and I was willing to do anything to get her out.  :)  But---every woman deilvering is different.  :)  So just do what makes you feel comfortable.

• I actually also saw Rhonda Chick at the Beaverton office and LOVED her! As far as the midwife thing goes, I learned while at St. V's that during the day, Kaiser has a doc on call but during the night it's always the midwives who have a doc as back up for c-sections if needed. ?I don't know if that's only at St. V's, but that's what they told me. ?The only bad thing about Rhonda is that she doesn't have priviledges from Kaiser to deliver babies, only to be in clinic, which I didn't know until my 3rd trimester. ?Even with that said, with #2 I'll definitely be going back to her. ?
  • I too have Kaiser, actually work for them as well. And so far, everything has been great. I see Kate Beadle at Interstate, and she is awesome. Always willing to spend time with my husband and I to get answer's to our many questions. We even had to do fertility treatments, and once we got through the red tape, all went very smooth and most was covered.

I will deliver at St. Vincent's and they had no problem with it!

• Thanks ladies so much for your imput!  I feel way more at ease about this whole process now.  And its great to have some names of Drs for recommendations for once I get my BFP!!  Thanks Ladies!!

• I see Paula Blacketor at Sunnyside/Mt. Tabor (but it sounds like you wouldn't be headed out there). She is awesome and super friendly and will answer any question you have...she has even responded to my emails at 5:30pm on a Friday evening. I do recommend finding someone you like and making sure you can get appointments with them...I started there mid-pg because my dh started working for them and I think I saw most of the staff there before finding Dr. Blacketor.

Delivering at Sunnyside was a good experience. I was the only one there when I came in which was a bonus. :) My midwives were awesome: totally all about following my birth plan but really hands on and assertive when my dd started to have major decels and they needed to get her out emergently.

I didn't so much dig the post-partum staff, though, as they were pro-"in-room". Normally, I would have been all over that except my dd wanted nothing but to be held all night long and dh and I hadn't slept in 40 hours! I kept falling asleep with her in my arms and was afraid I would drop her. I had to practically beg them to take her for 2 hours and then they came in my room, flipped on the lights, and plunked her down in my arms. We went home the next morning because at least my MIL was there and would take her so we could crash.

GL!

• Wow, I am glad I found this bored! I've been trying to figure out what I was going to do! I have Kaiser and live out in Hillsboro, which means I have to go to Beaverton to see someone. There isn't anyone in Hillsboro it would appear.

Did anyone go see an OBGYN/Gyno prior to TTC to have a check-up? Or did you all just talk to your primary? My husband and I are planning to start trying in the next 6 months or so, and with my family history I want to go talk to someone. So any insight would be helpful! :)

• Their customer service is hands down cr&ppy. But they are CHEAP and do things by the book, so you know you're getting decent western medicine care, if that's what you're into.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"