1st Trimester

my finger's too fat for my wedding ring!

I haven't taken my engagement & wedding band off in probably 2 months... and when I tried to take them off the other day to clean them... they refused to budge!  I tried again several times over the next few days (and even stuck my hand in ice water to make my fingers smaller).. but it appears that my finger is just too fat.  how delightful.  Right now, the rings are not tight, I can still twirl them around, but i can't get them past the chub before my knuckle.  I'm afraid that as I progress in my pregnancy my fingers are going to swell and then someone is going to have to cut off my finger!!! (kidding.. sort of). 

Has this happened to anyone?  Can I get the rings cut off my finger?  Or should I just hope for the best and leave the rings on?

Re: my finger's too fat for my wedding ring!

• This happened to me when I was pg with #1. It was in the last couple of months of my pregnancy though. I got my e-ring off but not my weddng band. I kept it on (it didn't hurt or feel like it was cutting circulation) until after I had DS and the swelling went down. I was afraid of having to get it cut off in the event of a c-section. But other than that I didnt worry about it.

Right now, it's so early that you will probably bloat on and off and have days where your rings will be tighter than others. Take them off if/when you can, if you are worried about it.

• I have days when mine are difficult to get off, but so far they still come off.  I usually take them off while my hands are wet if I can't get them to come easily.  You can get them cut off at a firestation, but try to slide them off using a lubricant first!
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried any kind of lubricant?  Like Vasolene.  Rub all around your finger and try to get it under the ring.  You're only 5 weeks pregnant so I can't imagine that your swelling would be permanant at this point.  Maybe it'll go down.

When I was little I chewed a ring around my finger and it got stuck. I hid my hand for a day and a half before someone noticed that my finger was purple.  They took me to the hospital and the ring was cut off.  My finger was kept in place.  Not that you want your ring cut off, but you should be able to get it repaired if would really come to that.

• your first tri swelling should go down....but I wouldn't keep them on, tends to get bad again in 3rd tri.  I bought a "fake" for my pregnancy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • you might just be bloated.  A good portion of the 1st Tri my rings were really tight. I thought I was going to have to stop wearing them, I was very upset. 

But, now they are fitting normal again. 

• Toward the end of my preg. with DS my Dr made me take off my ring because my fingers were so swollen. She told me if I didn't I might risk having to have them cut off.(rings that is not fingers LOL) (Yikes) So I took it off. It wasn't a wedding ring with my DS so I didn't care if I didn't have a ring on. This time around DH already went out and bought me another ring (fake) but it looks nice in a bigger size so I can swap them out when and if need be.
  • I took my rings off this morning because my hands have been swelling when I sleep and makes my finger real painful.. I'll see how the bloat goes.. but may keep them off for the duration

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFruit Ticker 
      image image
  • Me thinks they are too tight, regardless of you being two minutes pregnant. Take them off.
  • imageMrsL.inMarch:
    Me thinks they are too tight, regardless of you being two minutes pregnant. Take them off.

LOL

Lillian Annette, can't wait to meetcha! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I thought windex worked for getting off rings.
  • My MIL had to get hers cut off when she got pregnant with DH, so she is always warning me about that! I think I will put them on a necklace sometime in 3rd tri.?
  • imageFMIL&MOB:
    I thought windex worked for getting off rings.

Yes, Windex works wonders for this! It's pretty amazing actually!

• Mine too!! I went and bought a cheapy replacement because I feel naked without wearing it!!
    VOTE on my Name List Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hopefully swelling will go down soon. But I would take them off in or before 3rd tri, because I know that alot of people swell then. I go nuts when I cant get my rings off, like really crazy I will have a panic attack. I had a necklace on that tied and I couldnt un-tie it and I flipped, I ended up cutting it off with scissors. So I will be taking mine off before I cant get them off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"