Birth Stories

Newbie question

I have a while to go before I give birth but my doctor induces all 1st time parents at 39 weeks. I have heard that being induced makes labor alot more painful... is this true?

Re: Newbie question

• Yes.  I wouldn't let anyone induce me unless it was medically necassary!  I've never heard of a doctor doing this!!

You may want to call around to other OB's and ask their opinion on that.  Why 39 weeks?  That's not normal!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • WHOA--- why would they ever induce you at 39 weeks? That honestly does not seem normal at all. You should really question that.

Most Drs want the babies to "bake" until they are at least 39 weeks. Induction can be painful and it is something I would not want to do unless deemed medically necessary.

• Loading the player...
  • I think your doctor is an idiot and you need to find a new one. Induced labors are more painful, have a higher likelihood of c-section (and/or other medical interventions).

This is NOT normal, it's NOT what's best for your child or you, and only is so your doctor can plan his deliveries around his golf schedule.

That makes me really, really angry.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You may want to find another doctor.. this situation sounds bad. Your baby and your body will decide when the right time is!

Start now learning more about birth and your options so you can make informed decisions about what is best for you. 

Check out Our Bodies, Ourselves Pregnancy

and if you're interested, watch the Business of Being Born trailer by clicking the baby head in my signature.

• If your doctor uses the standard 40 week calendar (so, you would be 2 weeks pregnant at the time of conception), that that sounds very off and not good for mom or baby.  If by some chance your doctor goes by gestational age (so a 38 week pregnancy) then 39 weeks isn't that unusual as a lot of doctors will induce 1 week after your due date.  I'd get that clarified ASAP!  Hope that helps!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also have a ways to go before delivery but was curious about what to expect when the time got close and asked at our last visit. Our Dr said she would induce at 39 weeks if the cervix is ready and we wanted. Otherwise she would wait. If we hadn't delivered by 41 weeks she would still induce. On another note, all of my friends have been induced (five + within the last two years) at or around 39 weeks. So I don't think your Dr is that far off base. The biggest thing is you should like and trust your Dr. Lets face it, labor is going to hurt no matter what. Having high trust in your medical proffesional is important.

• imagemeperry0170:

I don't think your Dr is that far off base. The biggest thing is you should like and trust your Dr. Lets face it, labor is going to hurt no matter what. Having high trust in your medical proffesional is important.

Actually, her doctor is VERY far off base. It's not just about the pain, its about being able to MANAGE the pain, among other things.

His policy of induction at 39 weeks (seemingly regardless of any medical necessity) means that the baby's lungs couldn't be properly developed yet, or worse. Also, inductions where your cervix isn't "favorable" most often lead to c-sections.

Pitocin-induced contractions don't ebb and flow like normal contractions, which makes labor a lot more physically exhausting with no breaks.

Please, please do some research on this subject-- the American Medical Association has says this practice should be discouraged and is not in the best interest of the baby or mother.

The average first time pregnancy is 41 weeks, 2 days, not 39 weeks.

I would absolutely be hauling ass to a new ob/gyn when that's his standard practice. There's no reason for it except for him to make more money.

• Thank you all for the advice. I will for sure be taking this up with the doctor and most likely looking for a new one. I had been doing alot of reading and became?concerned?since most due dates given are obviously just close guesses... especially in my case (I am really irregular and have not had a period since june 2008). My husband and I want the best for our baby just like everyone else. I was also concered about not having the option for a natural med free birth if that is what I chose.?

?

Again thanks all so much for your input it is much?appreciated. ?

• Hello i was induced on my due date My labor went well. I was given tablets not pictocin. But I knew I wanted to get an epideral. If you do not want an epideral I would ask your dr why he wants to induce you. especially before your due date. And I would make sure you feel comfortable with your dr because if you do not then it can effect your birth experience. First I had an awful dr that was so mean and cold and then I looked around and found a wonderful, warm, kind dr that was what I needed. Good luck I hope you have a safe delivery.

from,

Renee

• Due to super-imposed pre-eclampsia, I was induced at 36w4d (according to gest. age u/s done at 6 weeks). After 15 hours of being induced, I was only 5 cm. Every time I had a contraction, his h/b would drop significantly. I had an emergency c-section as a result. I would highly discourage an induction, unless it's medically necessary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• There is a certain line of trust you can have with your doctor.  If you do not feel comfortable about the situation, you need to stand up for youself & baby & don't be afraid to question their reasoning.  I would not be comfortable with a doctor if they said that to me right in the beginning...how would they know if the baby will be ready to come out by then? They usually will let you go overterm to allow your body to start the labor process on it's own.  I would find a new doctor.  I work in the medical field & doctors are not always right or may do things unnecessarily, follow your gut instincts.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageazucenalgp1984:
    ...my doctor induces all 1st time parents at 39 weeks...

No doctor should do anything to all patients.  He should treat them as unique individual cases.  If my doctor told me this was standard and he does it to "all" patients, I would stand up and walk out.  He is aiming for his own convenience, not the best outcome for your baby. 

• Please read this book "A thinking womans guide to a better birth" by Henci Goer. It explains the reasons why medical interventions are are done by your doctor. It has helped me understand all the terms so that I can make decisions about MY child's birth myself. Also so you can have an educated conversation with your doc about it. Good luck!
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageangelina477:
    Please read this book "A thinking womans guide to a better birth" by Henci Goer. It explains the reasons why medical interventions are are done by your doctor. It has helped me understand all the terms so that I can make decisions about MY child's birth myself. Also so you can have an educated conversation with your doc about it. Good luck!

I also highly recommend this book. Unless there are medical indications for inducing it should be avoided. A normal pregnancy lasts anywhere between 37 and 42 weeks....Some babies need longer to cook than others. If mom is okay and baby is okay then there is no need to induce. Making a baby come out before they're ready can lead to a bad outcome. Trust in your body and trust that your baby will know when he/she is ready to be born.

• imageangelina477:
    Please read this book "A thinking womans guide to a better birth" by Henci Goer. It explains the reasons why medical interventions are are done by your doctor. It has helped me understand all the terms so that I can make decisions about MY child's birth myself. Also so you can have an educated conversation with your doc about it. Good luck!

I cannot recommend this book highly enough.  It is the reason I am delivering at a natural birthing center and not setting foot in a hospital unless our lives are in danger.  It will open your eyes not just to the facts about birth, but also medical culture in general and how we need to be critical consumers who don't just swallow whatever a person in a white coat tells us. 

• I agree with everyone else you need to research this and question your doctor. I have never heard of this....seems to me this is for his convenience. My first child came 6 weeks early on his own...it was so scary. Because he was early my DH got overly anxious and impatient with the 2nd and mentioned induction at one of my dr appt. The dr said NO until after my due date. It should only be done if medically necessary or if you are past your due date and she said at least 1 week past. Our baby girl came on her own at 39 weeks. After having one so early I just wanted baby girl to be healthy and cook as long as she needed to fully develop. That is what is most important. My sister-in-law and several other friends were induced and seemed to be begging for an epidural really early. It can also end in a c-section if you don't progress enough and if your body is not ready you won't.

It doesn't matter what the dr says sometimes you have to do what you feel is best for you and your baby.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I am not pregnant, and will not be until the summer however, I would question this statement. If a Dr. told me this was their practice, I would not be a patient of theirs. Since you are so far maybe express your concerns and stay with them through delivery but find a new ob/gyn for your next baby. GL!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • While I agree that there should never be a policy for all patients... inducing 1 week past EDD is not crazy. Babies can DIE from letting them go 10 days or more past EDD.

The EDD you're given at the beginning may well be wrong as it is based on last menstrual period, but it will get updated at your first ultrasound and THAT EDD will be pretty accurate as to when conception occurred. As in no more than a couple of days off.

Yes an induced delivery will hurt more, but if you're sensible and get an epidural who cares? You won't feel it. And hey, like a pp said - it HURTS LIKE SHYTE anyway... induced or not. Let's not split hairs.

I don't like the sound of a one-size policy any more than anyone else but I think induction 1 week after EDD is pretty common and mostly pretty sensible for most women. If the baby is small or there's some development issue you'll probably know about it by then and going a little longer might be a good idea. But honestly I know of no baby who has died because of a post EDD induction. I know of babies who have died in utereo because the mum or Dr would not induce until past 40 weeks.?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"