2nd Trimester
Options

Constantly scared of contracting some infection

I am 20 weeks pregnant and I’m constantly scared of contracting a bad cold/infections etc. I was in the office today and one colleague came super close to me to talk to me for a good 15 min. I later learned he very recently came into close contact with people infected with Covid. I was really mad that he came so close to me, knowing I’m pregnant! Now I’m really worried :( I read about the risks to the baby online and that gets me even more worried. (I had 3 shots of the Covid vaccine but I still got Covid after that and it hit me quite hard, wouldn’t want to catch it or any other infection while pregnant, mostly because of the potential risks to the baby)
i guess my question is: how do you all manage the irrational fear that any infection could be bad for baby? :( You can try to protect yourself but you cannot control others actions.
Sorry for the rant.

Re: Constantly scared of contracting some infection

• Options
    lqbtqmommylqbtqmommy member
    Look, this is not an irrational fear. I've had covid during both of my pregnancies and it wasn't fun. And I ended up on aspirin throughout the rest of each pregnancy. My first baby was born healthy and my second still seems to be healthy on my 20 week scan. I work a job that puts me into contact with illness every day. All you can do is try your best to make healthy choices for yourself and avoid all the situations you can that carry increased risk. If you are doing what you can and still contract an illness, fortunately modern medicine has a lot of things to help reduce risk to the baby. I try instead to think of the positives of building immunity and antibiodies for my baby. The fear of harm to your child doesn't stop when they're born either. They will get sick and it's terrible to see them struggle even with normal childhood illness. You still will have to let them into situations where they might get sick. 

If the fear is becoming overwhelming, please talk to your OB. Sometimes anxiety can amplify normal, healthy fear. But you are not alone and we are all doing our best out here to have healthy pregnancies.
  • Options
    It's a reasonable fear. 
    If you get covid when pregnant, baby will have the antibodies so that is a plus. It isn't fun while pregnant though for sure. Our immune systems are pretty amazing. Even more so is the power of your mind. Try meditating, it may help with the anxiety. 
    Your feelings are valid as are your fears. 
    I got covid with my 3rd in 2020 before it was a "thing". I was sick as could be. Terrified to go to the doctor. With that baby I went maybe 4 times as you couldn't go with children because of the rules. Baby was healthy as can be. Never gets sick. Everyone around us will have covid and he and I will test negative same with my last baby whom I got it with. Some things are better for baby in the womb. A newborn sick or baby sick is way worse than the safety of inside mom.  
    Sending healthy thoughts your way. 🙏