School-Aged Children
Options

Concerns About Children's Safety in School

Hello everyone, I am a parent who is deeply concerned about the safety of children in schools, especially in light of recent events. I want to ensure that my child is in a secure and protected environment while they are away from home.

I'm looking for advice and recommendations on how to address safety issues in schools. What are some proactive measures that can be taken to enhance security on school premises? Are there any effective safety protocols and procedures that schools should implement to safeguard students?

Re: Concerns About Children's Safety in School

• Options
    cscrzldbgcscrzldbg member
    edited March 5
    Just a kindly FYI, your question will likely result in highly, and politically, charged responses. 

There are a few different safety concerns in schools today and everyone rates the level of risk differently or if they even view it as a concern.

There are the physical ones: bullying, sexual assault, violence. And the non physical ones: ideology, cyber, mental/emotional. Just to name a few.

It may be a good idea to specify in what area you have a concern. While I think you may be referring to physical safety, you're questions could apply to any of the topics.
  • Options
    cscrzldbgcscrzldbg member
    edited March 5
    One of the best ways to protect your child is to be involved. You cannot address that which you do not know.

Personally, I think that the problems leading to some kind of physical harm to others stem from the mental health of the perpetrator. Far too many medications alter the brain in ways not fully understood. More children every year are put on meds or given more meds. And the incidents of violence and suicide by the youth is increasing. The mental health crisis (medication induced or otherwise) is being ignored, it seems, across the board. 

Why are schools only implementing measures to hopefully prevent access to someone with ill intent? Or mitigate the harm they are capable of committing once access has been gained? Why are they not trying to help that person before the negative action occurs?

Instead of attacking the means by which someone commits a crime, we need to address what is leading them to commit the crime in the first place. Instead of just trying to treat the symptoms, we need to be trying to treat the cause.

This is not to say they should ignore prevention and mitigation measures. But those measures mean little if the cause is never addressed. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited March 6
    > @cscrzldbg said:
    > Just a kindly FYI, your question will likely result in highly, and politically, charged responses. 
    >
    > There are a few different safety concerns in schools today and everyone rates the level of risk differently or if they even view it as a concern.
    >
    > There are the physical ones: bullying, sexual assault, violence. And the non physical ones: ideology, cyber, mental/emotional. Just to name a few.
    >
    > It may be a good idea to specify in what area you have a concern. While I think you may be referring to physical safety, you're questions could apply to any of the topics.

Thank you for bringing up some valid points about the potential for politically charged responses to my question. I definitely see how specifying my concerns more clearly would help in getting more relevant responses.
    Thank you.