High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Large Fibroids while Pregnant

How are you dealing with having large fibroids (5cm+) while being pregnant? I’m 9 weeks and I had no idea I had fibroids until a week ago at my first ultrasound. I have 1 in the front of my uterus at 8cm and I can see it protrude when I’m lying down and 2 others in the back uterus wall (5cm and 2cm). The doctor kept saying “that’s big…” I’m scared and can’t wait until I can see the next ultrasound at 12 weeks to see if it’s growing. I’m hoping it hasn’t grown.

Re: Large Fibroids while Pregnant

• Options
    Hi, my last pregnant, on my scan I discovered I had 4 of them! Others were 3 cm one was 8! I never knew about it before. I ended up w bad pain worse than anything I felt, went to ED where I got IVFs and pain meds. 
    I’m not pregnant again at 15 weeks- I’m not an expert bht what I can say is , don’t exert yourself, I had that pain before bc I walked a lot on a hot summer day - keep hydrated. As long is it is not inside uterine cavity your baby should be fine- only thing it can really cause is pain but like I said the things above. I’m hoping I don’t get any pain this time I am also scared. 
  • Options
    mybimbamybimba member
    I had a huge one my first baby pressed on and my doc removed it during my csection.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Fibroids, also known as uterine leiomyomas, are noncancerous growths that can develop in the uterus. It's not uncommon for women to have fibroids, and many are unaware of them until they are discovered during pregnancy or routine medical exams.

Here are some key points to consider when dealing with fibroids during pregnancy:

1. Monitoring: Your healthcare provider will closely monitor the size and location of the fibroids throughout your pregnancy. They will likely recommend regular ultrasounds to track any changes.

2. Fibroid location: The location of the fibroids in your uterus can affect how they impact your pregnancy. Fibroids near the uterine cavity (submucosal fibroids) may pose a higher risk than those located in the uterine wall (intramural fibroids) or on the outer surface (subserosal fibroids).

3. Potential complications: Large fibroids can potentially lead to complications during pregnancy, such as increased risk of miscarriage, preterm birth, breech birth, or the need for a cesarean section (C-section). Your healthcare provider will assess these risks and plan your care accordingly.

4. Symptoms: The presence of large fibroids can cause discomfort, pain, or pressure on the bladder or other pelvic organs. Your healthcare provider can provide guidance on managing any symptoms you may experience.

5. Treatment options: In some cases, if fibroids are causing severe issues during pregnancy or if they grow rapidly, your healthcare provider may recommend treatments or interventions. However, treatment options during pregnancy are generally limited due to potential risks to the developing fetus. Your healthcare provider will weigh the risks and benefits before making any recommendations.

6. Postpartum considerations: After giving birth, the fibroids may shrink or remain the same size. Your healthcare provider will discuss any necessary follow-up care and treatment options, which can include surgery or other interventions, depending on your specific circumstances.

Remember that many women with fibroids have successful pregnancies, but the key is careful monitoring and management in collaboration with your medical team or in case of any emergency visit best fertility center.