October 2023 Moms

Dealing with Weight Gain

I’m almost 16 weeks and have already gained nearly 40 pounds. To be fair, I think I had put on some weight before I found out I was pregnant. Even so, this is the most I’ve ever weighed in my entire life and I am struggling to deal. My doctor has assured me they aren’t worried about my weight, but it’s still really getting to me. 

just wondering how everyone else has dealt with weight gain and the feelings surrounding it?

Re: Dealing with Weight Gain

• chani84chani84 member
    I’m 16 weeks and I’ve gained over twenty pounds up to now. I’ve been really thin my whole life and gaining weight isn’t emotionally easy for me…i was so hungry throughout most of my first trimester, just constantly hungry, waking up in the middle of the night so hungry that I was nauseous. I ate all of the time because otherwise I was so hungry I’d start throwing up. Thankfully, that’s calmed down over the past month. Seeing my appetite change and calm down has helped me feel better about the weight gain, and I feel now that my body knows what it’s doing and is smarter than I am in terms of what the baby needs and what my pregnant body needs. It doesn’t mean I don’t still freak out about it 😂 but I manage to also calm myself down about it.  
  • Been the hardest thing for me to get over, I just have to keep telling myself it's for a beautiful baby that'll change my life. I just have always been small and accepting that is still my daily challenge. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, try not to stress too much about it, just remember that you can focus on losing the weight after the baby is born. Most of the weight is important stuff, like extra blood volume, the placenta, amniotic fluid, extra breast tissue, the baby itself, etc. Only a portion of it is actually fat. It’s all serving a purpose and you’re doing a great job!
  • I started to freak out because at at the end of my first trimester I had already gained 17lbs. I had a similar experience as @chani84 because I kept eating to not puke. I also hated the smell of eggs, meat, fish and the only way I really got protein was through smoothies. I used to workout consistently 5-6 days/week and probably exercised 3 times the whole first trimester. I am an exercise physiologist and health and fitness is my bread and butter and this pregnancy FLOORED me on how impossible it was to not gain above the recommended weight. I know that it’s not all baby/fluid/etc and it’s fat too. I’m now 24 weeks and I’m 34 pounds above my starting weight. My doc hasn’t mentioned weight to me and my numbers are great and baby is HEALTHY! I now only workout maybe 2-3 times a week and it’s about 50% of what I was doing but I have to remind myself that my body is doing something miraculous! I now do not step on the scale unless at my OB and I don’t look at the weight. If it’s concerning my doc will tell me… otherwise I focus on getting good nutrients, hitting my protein goal, and not worrying one bit about portions, calories, etc. Im lifting heavy still and consider the extra calories part of my “pregnancy bulking plan” haha.

Another thing that helped my mental health was getting rid of Instagram and throwing the scale in the trash. If I saw one more reel of a 7-months pregnant woman with ripped abs telling me to eat this thing and do this workout and I’ll have a healthy pregnant body I was going to lose my mind. Everyone’s body is different. Everyone’s pregnancy is different. I love what was said about the fact that our bodies are smarter and know what the baby needs… I believe we should be trusting our instincts and caring for our mental health which also plays a big impact on baby’s development as well.
  • With my first I gained 55 pounds and my doc wasn't concerned. This one I'm 27 weeks and only gained 16 pounds but to be fair I barely lost the weight from my first so I chose a healthier eating path. I also quit drinking way before I knew I was pregnant. Drinking was why I kept on the weight and I was actually losing weight my first trimester. 
  • I gained 40 pounds during my first pregnancy. I should say, that I gained the biggest part of it in the first trimester due to my cravings (sweets, ice cream, cakes, etc.). After the birth of my son, I had to work on my weight and body. But everything can be done if you have patience. If you worry that much, try changing your diet. Eat more healthy food and avoid fast food.