3rd Trimester
Options

Unhealed Nipple Piercing and Breastfeeding

Hi everyone, 
mom totally aware there are several forums about this on TheBump and I’ve read them all but they don’t quite answer my question. I wanted to know if anyone else has has a similar situation. 

I got my nipple pierced at around 18 years old. Took it out two years later. I am now 30 and it’s still open. Before being pregnant, when I would get my period or wear a bra for too long the site at where my nipple was pierced would act up and sometimes fill with a puss. It’s usually white and smells a little. Once I put salt water and let the puss out it heals and becomes normal again. 

I heard you can breastfeed even if you have had a nipple piercing but I’m not sure that I can breastfeed given this situation because wouldn’t my baby be ingesting whatever this puss is?

I really want to breastfeed. Is there a way around this or a way to fully heal it before she comes (which is in two months)? 

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!!!

Re: Unhealed Nipple Piercing and Breastfeeding

• Options
    I would think you can, but I'm not an expert. The person to ask would he a lactation consultant. You can ask your doctor/midwife for a referral or find one yourself. I like https://lactationnetwork.com/ because you can put in your insurance info, they'll match you with an IBCLC (the highest level of lactation experts) which can come to your home, and they'll deal with the insurance so it should be free to you.
  • Options
    Are you sure that aren't actually all the way healed? Old piercings can produce sebum which is like dead skin cells/body oils. I had my nipples pierced in my twenties and I think they've been out for like 4 or 5 years now (im 31). I still have the scar/holes from where they used to be and i know they're fully healed, and sometimes theres a white substance but dedinitely not like pus. I know if you were pierced and breastfeed milk will come out of the piercing holes, but you should still be able to do it. Id ask your doc about it, but i would think if its sebum its probably fine and you can just wipe your nipples before feeding. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is sebum. I didn’t realize what the actual term for it was so I just called it puss but it’s not infected by any means. Just doesn’t feel healed all the way because the holes are not closed. Thank you for your response. My situation is similar 
  • Options
    I have a similar issue! Healed/closed piercing produces sebum. But I’m also leaking colostrum so I think it should be fine. Should have listened to my mom and never got the piercings 🤪