September 2023 Moms

Unpopular Opinion/FFFC 4/21/23

It’s been SO quiet here the last two weeks! Give us your unpopular opinions and confessions (flame free Friday confessions).

They don’t have to be baby/kid/pregnancy related!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Unpopular Opinion/FFFC 4/21/23

• Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but we will use cloth diapers 🙈 Everytime I've shared this with anyone, they freak out
  • @mokamonster I can’t imagine using disposable diapers. The waste and cost alone would deter me. I find cloth diapers so easy and I’ve been able to reuse mine through 2 kids. Our garbage is collected 1 time a month. 1 months worth of diapers in there sounds gross. 😬

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Loading the player...
  • @mokamonster you do you! the only caveat to think about is what are you doing for childcare? and are they ok with cloth? i don't know any centers/preschools in my area that will do cloth b/c of contamination issues. is a dept of health thing.
  • @wanderlustsoul Oh man I can’t imagine our trash only being collected once a month, with or without diapers! 

@mokamonster If you don’t mind me asking, are cloth diapers or disposable more the norm in China?
  • @cammie0526 you get REALLY good at sorting everything. We have plastics, recycling, and organic collected 2 times a month. So we don’t have a ton of garbage unless my family visits. 😂

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• @mokamonster I don’t know how that’s a UO! I find the older generation doesn’t quite understand modern cloth diapers - I know once my mom and grandma saw them with my oldest, they were old ooohhhh, not at all what used to exist for cloth. 

We did cloth with our oldest two, including at daycare (we used a couple of in home daycares - they were fine with it! We used pockets and supplied a wet bag, so there was literally nothing extra they needed to do compared to disposables - we took the diapers with us when we interviewed daycares). I was a bit too overwhelmed with my third so didn’t use cloth long at all, but plan to use them again this time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm a huge music fan, mostly rock. Shinedown is the new Nickelback 😂😂 they sold out to mainstream and now have the repetitive poppy sound 😂 my husband absolutely loves them and I'm like nooooo. 

• Finally back on to finally respond haha

@wanderlustsoul yes! We got more than enough second-hand actually for around 50USD. They're also in great condition because the previous owners only used them for 6 months and were selling because they're moving back to South Africa. Also, I wouldn't say I'm an environmental activist, but a big reason why I'm vegetarian is because of the environment haha

@anniemarie887 hahaha childcare in China is non-existent. Most centers start at 3 and it's just expected that grandparents/mom will care for the kids before then. My husbans will probably end up being a stay-at-home parent

@cammie0526 old people and people in villages do the open butt pants (similar things to elimination communication) and then most people these days use diapers for a year. Seems like cloth isn't uncommon as our aunt knows how to make them apparently? We're planning to do a mix of elimination communication at home and then cloth diapers outside and at night

@runningyogimama for sure at least my side of the family doesn't get it. My mom literally asked if we would use safety pins and that I would poke the baby. This was AFTER I showed her the diaper with all of the snaps. My husband's side of the family is from the rural village though and they are super against us using diapers at all, cloth or disposable. But like, my baby's genitals aren't just going to be openly exposed in public, sorry.