Stay at Home Moms
Options

New SAHM & Completely Overwhelmed

oo0starla0oooo0starla0oo member
edited October 2018 in Stay at Home Moms
Hi all. It’s been a long time since I posted on any Internet forum, but I am feeling totally overwhelmed by motherhood. My little 5 week old treasure is sleeping on my chest and I’m in complete awe of him, but also terrified. I have always worked and am transitioning to being a sahm with my first child. I always assumed that it would come easily to me because my mom was a sahm and she was so good at it, but I’m realizing this is HARD. harder and more thankless than anything else I’ve ever done. I can’t get anything done around the house and I’m so sleep deprived I don’t even want to sleep anymore because when I wake up I’m still exhausted. When does this get better? How Do I create some sort of order out of this chaos? 
Thanks in advance for any reassurance or advice you can provide ☺️

Re: New SAHM & Completely Overwhelmed

• Options
    You are still in the really tough times. I've once heard it called the 100 days of darkness, but it's also known as the fourth trimester. Your baby is higher needs because they are still becoming accustomed to life outside the womb. Get the help you need, let perfection go and prioritize taking care of yourself and baby. At 5 weeks you're still healing, so give yourself some grace and do what you can. It will get better. Having a newborn is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it's worth it (worth it enough that I'm doing it again, haha!)
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Its still a little early for more sleep. What you can do is begin a routine. I did routine from when my daughter was born she is 4 months now and sleeps throught the night. The more stimulate with play the longer yoir baby will sleep. Good luck
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Being a parent can kinda suck sometimes and it’s totally okay to acknowledge that! No one ever talks about it, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Let your house be a mess. You just gave your partner the gift of life- they can do the dishes while you take a nap. 

This is a rough period of time and because it’s your first it can be a little hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but like they say, this too shall pass. 
  • Options
    I am in the same exact boat right now. I have a 5 week old, I’m FTM and SAHM, and have always worked and had a purpose..
    Just know you are not alone in this. Ask for help, share and communicate with your partner, and take 20-30 minutes to yourself everyday. I know it’s so hard to do all of those things but that is what has been helping me.
    Good to see someone else is going through it too.. You reaching out on this forum is a great first step!
  • Options
    Just take it one day at a time 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes routines definitely help me but also just trying very hard to live in the moment and not have expectations of how it’s going to be! I’m pregnant with baby number 4 now and I remember after my first… it’s just a lot to wrap your head around. The fact that now another human depends on you totally and that your whole life is different. Not in a bad way but it’s overwhelming sometimes and hard. Hard doesn’t equal bad!