Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Baby Blues

lejazzlejazz member
edited April 2023 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
does anyone else have tiny outbursts of high emotions states that small triggers can make you cry? It’s been 6 days since giving birth (23 hour labor, 2 hours pushing, and then a c section).

My baby and myself are both actually doing very well in terms of health and the baby is a great pooper, pretty decent sleeper, and generally a good eater. But I think my milk supply is really strong that she often falls asleep at the boob or spits up after only a short time. we are trying methods to prevent so much spit up and even shortening the time on the breast because it seems like she’s full.

But there are times when she fall asleep on the breast after only a short time and then I burp and rouse her and then she won’t latch again or gets upset in general while breastfeeding and I logically know she’s clearly full and is getting upset or not relatching because of this but emotionally it really hurts to see. Also I know logically she’s fine but then if she cries or doesn’t sleep well, I feel like I’ve failed her. It makes me super emotional even though logically I know she’s ok. 

Is anyone else experiencing this or something similar? Also is this baby blues? And does anyone have any tips? 

Re: Baby Blues

• Options
    karbaudkarbaud member
    edited April 2023
    I don’t know how to help, but know that you are not alone. I cried every single day for at least 15 minutes for 40 days straight after giving birth in February. I finally broke that streak, but I still cry multiple times a week. 80-90% of the time, my baby is pretty chill. He eats well and sleeps well most of the time. He is pretty gassy, which causes some pain. But that 10-20% causes so much anxiety. When he’s screaming and crying, and I’ve tried everything, I totally break down, and my husband usually steps in to give me time. I also feel like I’m failing at times. It’s normal to be sad at times and to feel strong emotions. But also, don’t be afraid to get help if needed. I’m doing a lot better, but I plan to speak with a counselor that my doctor recommended in the next couple of weeks. It’s still very early for you. My only tips are to give yourself grace and, if possible, let someone else take the baby for 15 minutes or so when you are feeling anxious in order to focus on yourself.
  • Options
    I feel you. My LO will nurse for maybe 5 minutes before falling asleep and won't be roused no matter how many mommy tips I try. So then I put her down to nap and she immediately wakes up rooting and crying, only to fall asleep again once I put her back on the breast. It's an exhausting, hour long cycle and makes me feel like I can't provide for her, but also I'm so sleep deprived that I don't feel like myself and I start even feeling a little resentful that she won't "try harder", which is absurd because she's not even a month old and has no idea what's going on... so then I feel guilty for thinking all of that, and then I start crying again and it's been a really fun cycle of this for three weeks!

Yes I would say this is just baby blues, and what helps me is to remember that this is only a temporary stage and we're inching our way to better days. It's hard for me because I'm a single mom and have no one to pass her off to at night, so I also take up every single offer friends and family give to watch her while I nap.

I also started bottle feeding at night. I know there's a huge group who would say that's "wrong", but it buys me a little extra sleep and keeps the edge off my resentment at the breastfeeding issues, so to me it's worth it, especially because she's now gaining weight at the appropriate pace so I know everything is working.

It's easy to project grownup emotions into the situation because that's what we are, and even though I also feel sometimes like I've failed my baby, she doesn't think so and neither does your LO! This is a super emotional time, so know that what you feel is normal. It's a hard stage so really focus on what makes this stage GOOD (nothing like skin to skin snuggles to make you remember why this is worth it!) and know that billions of women have gotten through this and you will too!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey momma!

You are very much not alive. I was induced on the 29th of March ending up getting cytotec to help soften cervix then moved to pitocin and labored for over 24 hours with an epidural. I made it to 8cm dilated and ended up doing a c section. This was my first c section so I was terrified. Dr did a great job baby was out quick and the incision looks good. Here I am two weeks later and I feel like the sky is falling. Every second of everyday I feel like I could cry. I’m overwhelmed and overstimulated. My baby doesn’t sleep well at night at all and I’m up with him because my husband gets up for work at 3 am. Then in the mornings I have to get my other children up and ready for school and I feel like there isn’t enough time in the day. I’m wondering when I will feel like me again.