S+TMs:
What high chairs have you used?:
Likes/dislikes?:
What other feeding gear would you recommend?:

FTMs:
What high chair or feeding gear are you interested in?:
Any questions?:

Re: Product Spotlight: High chairs/feeding gear

• I had a graco one that you could put on a chair for DS, I got an ikea one for daycare kids  and I like that one. It’s cheap, works well, and cleans well! Plus it’s easy and quick to take apart and put back together if needed!
  • edited April 2023

Ooh help me lol!! So kiddo is going to be eating in several different houses… we alternate Sunday lunch between our families every other week, amongst other things. So I’ve been looking at options that are a little more portable. I found this which has mostly good reviews - anybody use something like this and love or hate it? 

Or have different options for something that works well but doesn’t take up a ton of space? I don’t love how bulky some high chairs are.
  • Loading the player...
  • @cherrystorming we had a portable high chair that stayed right on to our kitchen chairs. It was super lightweight and traveled great wherever we needed it. It looks like there’s a newer version out but this is what I had:

The fabric came off easily and is machine washable, as are the straps. This worked wonderfully for DD for years.
  • I have a wooden high chair and it’s been used for the last decade with all my kids. I also have a booster type seat that attaches to a seat at our table for the toddler. It’s a good transition seat for teaching them to stay seated at the table because it has a seat belt. 

For bibs, I really like the smocks that covers the arms and torso. It makes the messiest meals super easy to clean up afterwards. 
  • Oh the one I had for DS was the one @gingermama29 posted a pic of, I thought it was graco, my bad!
  • The chair I use for transitioning from the high chair to the table is that chair. I just push the chair straight up to the table. 
  • I was looking at getting on of the clip to the table style chairs with DS, then we got handed down an old stokke tripp trapp. I never bought the baby attachments or tray. We kept DS secured with one of my elastic waist belts and watched him closely. The chair has adjustable height to push up to the table. 

Once DS was close to 1.5, we stopped with the belt and watched him closer. Once he could climb onto the regular dining chair, he just sat on those. Sometimes with a pillow under him for a boost. We also kept a small cut square of that grippy shelf liner stuff under him when he was young, to help prevent any sliding. A trick I learned at work. 
  • ccmrc143ccmrc143 member
    edited April 2023
    @cherrystorming we have that exact hook on the bar/table seat and loved it. It gets FILTHY though so be prepared to take it apart and run it thru the washer. We also have the Tripp Trapp and love it. We’ve used it with and without the tray. If DS is still using the Tripp trapp when baby is in a high chair (God willing this child will sit in a high chair one day) I’d Be interested in getting the ikea chair because I’ve heard such great things and am not interested in spending the trip trap money again lol 
  • @cherrystorming we have the Inglesina and I agree w/ @ccmrc143, it does get dirty very easily. We didn't use it quite as much as I thought. Granted, we just didn't go out as much in my daughter's first year. We mainly use it now if we have a spare toddler running around our house. It does work well and it doesn't take up a lot of space in the trunk if you want something to tote around with you. I don't have any other complaints other than the cleaning part, but I think that's the case for most of the fabric, hook-on type of chairs.

We have the Lalo for our main chair. I was between that and the Tripp Trapp. Things I love are that it's super easy to clean. Everything goes in the dishwasher and it's all plastic w/ no nooks or crannies to clean out. The tray is pretty easy to clean and aesthetically, it looks nice. It also turns into a little chair when we're done with it (it comes with little legs to attach), so we'll get long-term use out of it. Things I don't like are that the tray can be a little hard to unhook, the foot tray isn't adjustable and the footprint is kind of big. I don't know that any of that bothers me enough to get a new chair though. The easy to clean part is high on my list.

Our booster is the OXO tot nest and I have no complaints. I just can't get her to sit in it right now, so I'm not pushing it lol. She asks for her high chair when we're eating. We have awhile before I would need to kick her out of the high chair for this baby, so I'm not pushing it.
  • @cherrystorming we had the guzzie and Gus perch which looks essentially the same. We loved it for travelling/holidays. I wouldn’t want as my main high chair because of cleaning as mentioned above. But it is great as a portable option. And I would just chuck the seat in the wash when we got home. 

We have a Tripp Trapp and I love. We did have an IKEA high chair that I bought one of the wooden foot supports from Yeah Yeah Baby Goods to help keep kiddo trunks solid while they’re eating. The one thing I hated about the IKEA chair is that I snapped three of the clips that hold the trays! They are inexpensive to replace, but kind of wasteful. We eventually got a new dining table that was easier to pull kiddos right up to so I didn’t bother with the tray anymore.

I’m going to ask my Dad if he’ll get the Tripp Trapp for this baby. He always offers to get something big, and since we don’t need anything else I figured I’d suggest that or at least money towards it.
  • We have the Graco SimpleSwitch as a high chair and it worked fine. We lived in a much smaller house when my daughter was a baby, so our table was in the actual kitchen and kind of smooshed up to a wall, so it worked fine to just pull the high chair up next to the table but let her use the tray, and then slide it back against the wall by the table when meals were over. It's nice that it has a few configurations to use (standalone chair, with or without a tray, or the legs come off and it can attach to a regular chair, again with or without the tray) but it for sure is kind of bulky. It has a cover pad that can be tossed in the washer, but after a couple months we got annoyed with how many crumbs it was collecting and just took it off entirely. It also *has* a foot rest but it isn't adjustable so I taped a Kleenex box to it when my daughter was itty bitty for a little more trunk support. I do like that it has an adjustable recline in high chair mode, and the straps were sturdy and easy to clip/unclip. We did finally get to graduate to a real dining table when we bought our house now, though, and there's a bottom lip on the table that makes it so you can't push the high chair (in standalone OR booster mode) up flush to the table, so we may have to do some monkeying there (or get a different chair to attach it to...?).

We actually got a used booster seat at a consignment store for this table that my daughter used for a while, but then my parents found a restaurant-style wooden one she prefers so that's what she uses now, since the high chair booster didn't work so well. So I'm considering just consigning this chair and getting a different seat altogether for this baby, that would actually work with our table. I would kill for a Tripp Trapp but am not sure I want to drop *that* much on it, so might just play with other options for a while first.
  • Oh, I completely forgot, but we used an Upseat as well! I think I blocked out our interim stint of apartment living. We couldn't get to the Inglesina (packed up in storage) and the Lalo would've been way too big. She liked sitting up in the Upseat in general and it came with a really easy to clean tray and it has straps you can secure to a chair. It was perfect if you're tight on space. It's very similar to a bumbo, but PT approved so that they sit up straighter and a healthier positioning for their hips. She wasn't in it for long, but I'll probably use that in the beginning with this baby. Forgot all about that thing. Why do I have so many damn chairs?