2nd Trimester
Options

Sugar Intake

I’m 26 weeks pregnant and I just had my first GD screen which was slightly elevated. I have to go back for another to see if I have it or not. That had me thinking about my sugar intake for the past 15-20 weeks. I switched to a chai tea latte which is much higher in added sugars than my regular coffee which started tearing up my stomach. I didn’t realize the sugar content until now.. I had a crazy sweet tooth and would eat cereal, chocolate/candy when I wanted it and frozen yogurt. I also make sure I drink fruit smoothies with spinach, eat my greens/legumes/proteins and take my prenatals religiously. I could probably up my intake of veggies but I still have food aversions from the first trimester. Anyway, I started reading up on sugars and now I am an inconsolable mess. I read that they are directly linked to cognitive deficiencies in babies and children. It’s been 48 hours of pure anxiety/crying/guilt for what I could have potentially done to my baby. Did anyone else eat too much sugar in pregnancy? Please tell me your babies came out healthy and smart. I just can’t take the what-if’s and anxiousness this has caused me.

Thanks!

Re: Sugar Intake

• Options
    I did. I had a 3 hr glucose test  and passed with flying colors. Stop going down the rabbit hole. For every good article, there are like 10 bad ones. Just stop. Do you. As long as your healthy and baby is healthy that's all the matters. Put Google down and walk away. Maybe even just go on a walk. 
  • Options
    If you do end up having GD, please know that nothing you did caused it. It’s a matter of how your placenta affects how well your insulin works. Some people can control it with just diet and others need medication. And the important part of controlling it is that the majority of your meals are properly balanced, a few stray spikes won’t hurt your baby. I hope you don’t end up having it, but I wanted to add that to this conversation since you are already beating yourself up.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::