August 2023 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 4/6

What unpopular opinion(s) are you harbouring? 

Re: UO Thursday 4/6

• Options
    Not sure how unpopular this is or isn't, but I wish I had set more boundaries when it comes to the bathroom. It was all "model what you want them to do!" so it was always open-door with my daughter, but GOOD GOD now that she's pushing 4 and into EVERYTHING it drives me crazy that I can't have 45 seconds alone on the can without her trying to put lipstick on me, asking me 8,915 questions, opening and closing the shower door to see how it works, getting into my supply of pads... I finally just closed the door today and she's sitting outside it going "Mama, are you done now?" and crying. So I know a lot of parents model bathroom activity for their kids and she was supremely easy to potty train (pooping *into* the potty aside, we finally did master that, thank God, but the rest was a breeze) but I sort of wish I had closed more doors there.
  • Options
    @ki1244 I was a door closer starting around 2/3, best choice ever. It’s important to model things like using the bathroom but it’s also important to model and practice respecting privacy. I started with giving DS privacy while he was going potty, only going in to wipe, and talked about how I was giving him privacy. Then it translated better into giving mommy privacy too. It took lots of repetition but I’ve been able to use the bathroom alone for years! The dogs on another hand are a totally different story and I can’t keep them out😂
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am also a door closer and I lock the door. I realized one day that my husband never fought kids off of everything while he was using the bathroom and it was because he always shut the door. So I shut it and to make sure no one comes in, I lock it. It was life changing. 
  • Options
    Just closed the door again and she didn't even knock on it. What is this witchcraft?!?!