September 2023 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms w/o 2/27

For all of the other random chit-chat! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Weekly Randoms w/o 2/27

• Options
    We had a (random for February!) thunderstorm last night, and lost power and internet overnight, and our internet still isn’t up this morning. And my husband and I both work from home. 😑

Happy Monday! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We had so much rain Sunday night into Monday. Today is at least sunny out and the last day of February!!! I am in such a funk right now with this winter weather and I so need sunshine, warm weather, longer days…..I blame feeling like crap to this. Hopefully the nausea and everything passes soon also…..
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @runningyogimama I hope your power came back quickly!

@dogmom5 I’m so ready for sunshine and warm weather too. 

My DS1 had a dairy allergy challenge today but didn’t pass. Boo. I was really hoping he would! But he made it all the way to step 5! Last time he failed like 15 seconds after step 1. So that’s a huge win. And he passed baked dairy in October. I’m going to try to incorporate more baked dairy into his diet so that he can develop a tolerance to it. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Options
    @wanderlustsoul Our power came back, but our satellite (for internet, we live rural) was damaged, so we’ve had to mobile hot spot for work all week (and poor kids with no TV do stream 😅). 

Baked dairy is still awesome, and that’s great he’s made progress!! We can cook eggs without my son breaking out in hives now, so I’m REALLY hoping he can at least do a baked egg challenge by the time he goes for his next follow up this fall. He’s so picky, though, so no idea how we would get him to keep eating it. How old is your son?

@dogmom5 I could also use some sun that stays - our weather here all last month was back and forth and back and forth, and I’m definitely ready for it to stay spring weather!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    dogmom5 yes to all of this. i randomly feel like i'm gonna cry, like i can't take it all anymore. i remember when we have the first nice, sunny day in MN i feel like a huge weight has lifted!

@runningyogimama ugh so annoying. i have that fear when i work from home. if my kids lost internet/ amazon video at night it would mean me suffering more than them, lol

@wanderlustsoul the allergies are such a pain! passing baked is a huge deal. my third has an egg allergy. we have known for a year and still haven't gotten around to the allergist. we typically eat vegan so i figure we can save some time and money and test when she's closer to preschool. We've been trying tiny bits of baked egg intermittently and it seems to no longer give her problems, so fingers crossed. 

has anyone done easy family vacations for a reasonable price lately? to a warm climate that isn't by water (because i have a serious fear of my kids drowning and i don't think i'll ever get over it, i had a near drowning experience and it was so horrible). the flights are crazy expensive as it, we have to keep the costs down. but i have to get out of this state...

• Options
    @runningyogimama nooo that’s the worst. I hope you can get it fixed soon! 

He did a baked egg challenge last November (November 2021) and it was a biscotti type cookie so he was thrilled. He did fail though. My son is 3.5 now. We do challenges every 6 ish months and he’s usually excited about it. 

I never thought he’d even pass baked dairy. He’s been allergic to dairy from birth. So that was huge for us! 

@litzi-2 they really are a pain. I’m so nervous about this baby having allergies. It’s just been so easy with my 2nd and him having no allergies. 

I hope you can find a place for a vacation! I’m also counting down to ours. We are going to Greece in April and then Canada in June. I need sun and comfort food. 

• Options
    A vacation sounds lovely right now!

Sorry to hear about all of the food allergies (but glad many seem to be improving a bit!) I don’t have any personal experience, but I can only imagine how difficult they can be to navigate especially in babies. 

I just have a mini rant… I’m typically work from home on Thursdays and Fridays. Went to plug in my laptop this morning and realized I left my charger at the office. I really don’t want to drive all the way to the office and back today, wahhh. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    @litzi-2 It’s definitely worse for us than the kids. 😅😅 And OF COURSE they’re off for conferences today, and the new satellite isn’t being installed until 1-5 pm, and I’m way too busy this week to take off work completely.

We are going to CO this summer for vacation - we went to SD last summer and the kids loved hiking in the badlands, so we are doing CO this year! For us, biggest cost is having to stay in an AirBnB because food allergies mean we need access to a full kitchen/can’t eat out at all. 

@cammie0526 That’s the worst! When our internet went out, my first thought was that there’s just no way I’m actually getting dressed and ready and driving into work when I’m used to working from home. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Oh man, the food allergies do not sound fun! So far we haven’t had any, how did you all find out yours had allergies? 

I work from home and I would not be happy about having to get dressed/join the real world for internet or cords, I feel your rants! 

Vacation sounds SO nice! We’re trying to plan one for us and the girls this year. We did one last year to Seattle and the Washington coast and our girls had a blast! We got to see a ton of beach wildlife up close, drove on the beach and ate delicious foods. Then in Seattle we did the zoo, where my husband had the most fun bc he’s never been outside of boise and there were a ton of animals he hadn’t seen lol (only caveat is we went mid June and it was still pretty cold 😬)

I actually have a question - has anyone here been tested for/has the MTHFR gene mutation? 
  • Options
    Update: my husband’s old laptop charger works with my computer, thank god! 
  • Options
    @sdunstan my niece has an egg allergy. When she was about 6-7 months old and tried eggs she got a rash and had super labored breathing to the point the ped said they needed to take her to the ER. 

With my daughter we made sure when we introduced food to do the common allergens one at a time, and early as some people believe that earlier the better. 
  • Options
    @sdunstan my son was born with his dairy allergy. He had symptoms from the beginning but not the super obvious ones. So it was hard to get doctors to listen to me when I said something was wrong with me baby. It took until he was 5.5 months old to finally find a doctor who listened. By then, his body was already in attack mode and anything it came into contact with, he developed an allergy to (peanuts, cashews, eggs). By the end of it, he had 12 allergies. Now he’s down to 10.5. As you can tell, I’m still angry about it. He also now is being diagnosed with EoE. All probably prevented if someone listened to me when he was 2 months old. 

• Options
    @sdunstan My son (4) is allergic to egg and peanuts, also from birth. We were CONSTANTLY in the pediatrician’s office for awful eczema and hives his first few weeks of life (I think his first hives were around a week old?), and he was diagnosed with silent reflux at 2 months as he hasn’t gained any weight. They didn’t think it was milk or soy (MSPI), which it wasn’t, and once he was gaining weight, they weren’t as concerned…

But then one night when he was 6 months old, his sister had had peanut butter toast for a bedtime snack, then was playing with him/telling him goodnight, and touched his hands. But the time I came back out from putting her to bed (my husband was in the living room with him), he was sneezing and rubbing his eyes, then a little while later, broke out in hives. I immediately realized she had peanut butter, which he hasn’t had yet, before touching him, and gave him a dose of Benadryl, threw him in the baby bath to wash him off, and by that point his lips were purple, so I made the decision to drive him to children’s (we were about 5 mins away and it was close to 10 pm by then - it was a bit of a delayed reaction) vs call 911 because I thought it would be faster. When we went for allergy testing, we asked him to test for eggs, as that was the only other major allergen he hadn’t had yet (and he was breaking out from something when the dogs would kiss him), and sure enough, it was eggs - we then noticed he would even break out in hives if we cooked eggs with him in the house. He was also intolerant of dairy and corn when he was a baby - when we cut those out and I switched to a hypoallergenic formula, his eczema seemingly magically finally cleared up (but he can eat both of those now, thankfully).

Neither of my older two have food allergies. 🤷🏼‍♀️

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @sdunstan ours got rashes around her mouth and vomited, it was pretty obvious when it happened the second time. she also has eczema and her skin reacts easily. Our first had a dairy allergy, dropped to the 4% for weight from the 70%, super colicky. Improved when dairy was cut out.  This was a big reason why I went vegan when I BF for my second and we have been vegan since. it was such a terrible experience.
  • Options
    @litzi-2 similar experience with mine - he was 80% and dropped to 1.4%. 😮‍💨 I cut dairy once my 2nd was born and only started eating it again after he started eating it. It was really an awful experience with my first. I’ll do the same for this one. 

• Options
    anyone interested in the spotlight series? I can do a version of it if people are?

• Options
    @wanderlustsoul I think that’s a great idea!
  • Options
    @wanderlustsoul I also think that’s a great idea! 

And anyone feel free to start any other types of threads - I like the weekly chit chat ones, but am still triggered by a bunch of different baby stuff, so won’t be the one to start any other types of threads. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @wanderlustsoul by the end of the day (aka after eating) I look as big as I did with my daughter at 20 weeks. It’s 🤯
  • Options
    @wanderlustsoul @anniemarie887 I feel ya, I look huge for 12 weeks! My third as well. But I just had a baby 4 months ago so I didn’t get a chance to lose any baby weight… but yeah it’s just crazy how big the bump is! 

• Options
    +1 for being huge immediately. 😅 Between it being my 5th baby, and even though my last pregnancy ended at 17 weeks, that was just last September, so everything is already all nice and stretched out (plus I’m short, and have a short torso, so even with my first, I remember buying maternity pants for work by about 10 or so weeks/as soon as we had our ultrasound and announced to everyone). I’ve been wearing baggy hoodies - thankful it’s winter! And hiding out at home. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Left was Friday, after stuffing my face in Vegas. And right is 20 weeks with my daughter in 2019 🤯
  • Options
    @anniemarie887 you’re adorable! I can’t wait until my 10-week flab looks more like an actual baby bump, like yours does! 💛 
  • Options
    @anniemarie887 pretty much the same haha. 

I guess it is my 5th pregnancy in 4 years so. The body remembers. 

Ugh I have a stomach bug. I thought DS being sick was after effects of the dairy but I guess it wasn’t. And now I have it. I can’t keep anything in and I’m just throwing up. The doctor has prescribed some meds so my H will pick it up once kids go to nap since I’m not moving from bed. And I have on and off cramps that worry me. 😭

• Options
    @wanderlustsoul I’m so sorry to hear that you’re so sick and cramping! I’m praying that you get well super soon, and that the bug has no effect on Baby! 💛
  • Options
    @wanderlustsoul feel better soon, I hope the meds help
  • Options
    @wanderlustsoul hope you get better soon!
  • Options
    @wanderlustsoul Ugh, stomach bugs are the worst!! I hope you feel better soon!

BabyFruit Ticker