Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Postpartum Anxiety

I am struggling with anxiety so bad I don’t want to leave the house and I feel depressed. My baby is almost 8 months old already. Will this get better? I was never like this before I became a mom and I get so upset that I can’t just fix it and stop feeling like this. Any advice or just someone who relates would be appreciated...

Re: Postpartum Anxiety

• I am struggling with anxiety so bad I don’t want to leave the house and I feel depressed. My baby is almost 8 months old already. Will this get better? I was never like this before I became a mom and I get so upset that I can’t just fix it and stop feeling like this. Any advice or just someone who relates would be appreciated...
    I’m sorry you’re feeling this way. It’s pretty common so you’re not alone. It sounds like you need to see your doctor though. They can help. 
  • You are definitely not alone! I promise there will be better days ahead. I had a horrible dark postpartum with my first and with my second has now been so vastly different. My anxiety was out of control and I would have panicked attacks when people would even ask to hold him. Basically jumping to a fight or flight mode in public settings or even just when my in laws were around. I got some help through a therapist who specializes in postpartum anxiety and cognitive therapy. She worked with me on simple things to rewrite my brain and use skills to work through each situation. It took some work and lots of learning, but I am in a much much better place now. Definitely ask your OB for some recs. Lots of them do online sessions now too which is great when you are juggling an infant etc. at home. Hang in there Mama <3
  • Loading the player...
  • I had the same struggle when my son was born. Within the first week postpartum, I would have anxiety attacks and start shaking uncontrollably, especially after I pumped. I felt sick to my stomach and didn’t want to eat and I was so afraid of leaving the house or that something would happen to my baby or myself to where I couldn’t take care of him.

I went to my doctor that week and they immediately started me on a medication and it helped me tremendously. It’s okay to get help and talk about it. Do what is best for you and your baby! Be happy and healthy. It’s not easy adjusting to this new life of motherhood.
  • Hi mama you are not alone. It’s a hard time we’re going through transition from our old life to this new suppose to be wonderful one. Some days feel so alone and like you’re a hostage to yourself. Everyone says it will get better and I’m sure it does eventually, but for now you need to be gentle with yourself. Talking to a therapist and taking medication can certainly help, but I know for me at least the thought of having to find a therapist and schedule the time is such a large task. 

What’s one small thing that use to be a part of your daily routine that made you happy, just for you not the baby? For me it was watching the birds at the bird feeder, my anxiety was so bad I couldn’t leave the baby (even ask my husband to watch him for five minutes) to fill the feeder in the garage. The day I finally did that, I felt so good. Yesterday I went to Target, my first time in a store with the baby by myself. It may have taken a few months of practicing driving and planning the exact route and time, but it was so helpful for my mind. 

It sucks, but I hope this helps and I hope it gets better for you.