2nd Trimester

Depression

I’m about 16 weeks now. This is my first. In the last few weeks I’ve been dealing with a lot of depression. It seems to be getting a little worse every day. My husband keeps telling me I can’t feel this way because it affects the baby. I don’t find that to be helpful. Hearing that just makes me more depressed. I feel helpless. My body feels like a prison. Is anyone else dealing with similar feelings? I don’t know how to bring this up with anyone else in my life.

Re: Depression

• There are so many hormones stewing during pregnancy. Depression is a completely normal side effect of pregnancy. I high suggest seeing a therapist. They can help and even get you on meds if need be. 
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Going on 20 weeks here. Also my first and have been depressed from day one. Things are finally somewhat getting better but I did have to start in an antidepressant
  • Loading the player...
  • Talk to those closest to you, especially other women who have been pregnant. Chances are they experienced something similar. I was feeling down for almost two months and also feeling guilty about having all the negative emotions. It’s not you, it’s the hormones. Do things that make you feel good, activities you enjoy and try to stay active. It started to lift around week 20 for me and it’s like a dark cloud has lifted from my life. Stay strong and speak to those around you. You’re not alone and it will get better
  • There are also antidepressants that are safe for pregnancy. Don’t be afraid to talk to your doctor about this. Hormones are wild but you don’t have to suffer your whole pregnancy. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Thank you everyone!  Hearing all this really helps 
  • I'd also suggest bringing this up at your next OB appointment. My OB referred me to a therapist and offered to prescribe me medication. 

If you're in the US, Seven Starling is a telehealth company that specializes in maternal wellness and they work with most insurance providers.