2nd Trimester

Heartburn - soooo painful!

Hi mamas! First time preggers here and experiencing so much heartburn pain EVERY DAY. I’m 14 weeks, and it’s only getting worse… any advice on foods that are yummy but also won’t trigger acid reflux? I’ve been trying different foods but never feel satisfied because the only way I can have them without pain is super bland 😩 

Re: Heartburn - soooo painful!

• I feel you!! I don’t have a ton of advice, but my doctor mentioned a culprit I didn’t expect - chocolate! I knew about tomato sauce and greasy foods, but never thought of chocolate. It also helps me to sleep at a little bit of an angle. 
    I finally bought some Tums and use those on the daily, I’m mostly also just trying to get through (ftm here too!)
  •  I dealt with GERD before pregnancy and my heartburn has been horrible too! Things that have worked for me include:
    1) Smaller meals, more frequent- when you stomach is ultra full it pushes acid back up your esophagus 
    2) Avoid eating 1-2 hours before bed and make sure you drink plenty of water after meals to push acid down and dilute it (make sure you sleep on your left side too)
    3) Avoid acidic foods which include coffee, citrus, chocolate, spicy foods, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, onions, anything high fat, carbonated beverages, and foods that induce gas like broccoli or cauliflower
    4) Some good food ideas include oatmeal, low fat yogurt, whole grains, lentils, apples, and sweet potatoes, beets, bananas, cous cous and melon
    5) Try experimenting with other herbs to add flavor like fresh basil, sage, or thyme  

Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I always thought those grown men complaining of heartburn on those commercials were such wimps. UNTIL I got pregnant. I had it early like that with all my boys. This time I haven't soo maybe a girl. 

But the tums chews I found to be the easiest to swallow. Mine always got worse at night. 
    I drink mainly water and eat small feedings more often and choose boring foods haha. It's real fun. I tell everyone that was the worst symptom of pregnancy for me every time, not sure if that is helpful or not. 

Hang in there. This too shall pass. 
  • Mine is so bad as well! Foods that help reduce it once it’s starting to ramp up are almond milk (unsweetened) and avocados! I always keep those on hand now. I also take medication for it, but the heartburn is so bad that I still need to do more for it. The other thing that helps are Papaya Enzymes! You can get them on Amazon, they taste like the Banana Runts candies! Ask your doc about them, mine gave me (literally!) two thumbs up for papaya enzymes. I take three after every meal! It’s helped a lot. Especially when I’m out and about, I keep some in my purse because if my acid reflux gets TOO bad, I get nauseous and can throw up sometimes from it! My doc also said a shot glass of Apple Cider Vinegar (pasteurized), is helpful as well! I keep forgetting to buy that but for sure the avocado, almond milk and papaya enzymes have been so helpful to keep it at a minimum. 
  • babyrusche said:
    Mine is so bad as well! Foods that help reduce it once it’s starting to ramp up are almond milk (unsweetened) and avocados! I always keep those on hand now. I also take medication for it, but the heartburn is so bad that I still need to do more for it. The other thing that helps are Papaya Enzymes! You can get them on Amazon, they taste like the Banana Runts candies! Ask your doc about them, mine gave me (literally!) two thumbs up for papaya enzymes. I take three after every meal! It’s helped a lot. Especially when I’m out and about, I keep some in my purse because if my acid reflux gets TOO bad, I get nauseous and can throw up sometimes from it! My doc also said a shot glass of Apple Cider Vinegar (pasteurized), is helpful as well! I keep forgetting to buy that but for sure the avocado, almond milk and papaya enzymes have been so helpful to keep it at a minimum. 

Thank you!!! Papaya enzymes sound like something I need to try. Much appreciated