Weekly check-in 1/23

EDD/Weeks + days:

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: 

Baby is the size of a(n):

Upcoming appointments:

How are you feeling? 

Raves/Rants: 

Questions: 

GTKY:  aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without?

Re: Weekly check-in 1/23

• Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: 13 weeks tomorrow, can’t believe it! 

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: green!

Baby is the size of a(n): scoop of ice cream 🍨

Upcoming appointments: 2/18 but I’m switching doctors bc I’m switching insurance to be closer to my regular dr that is walking distance from my apt (nyc in case you’re wondering how places are walking distance) 

How are you feeling? Morning sickness really went down. Sometimes I still wake up a little nauseous but nothing compared to a few weeks ago which was hell. I’m more energetic and happy bc it’s really happening and we passed that 12 week mark. 

Raves/Rants: told my parents and sister this weekend. Their reactions were priceless. My mom was confused (didn’t have her glasses on) and she’s like what is this weird black and white photo here that looks like alien eyes? My sister screamed it’s a baby! My mom was like who’s baby? Lol so confused but then she was so excited. She hasn’t seen a sonogram in a few years so she was confused without her glasses. 

Questions: none I can think of now 

GTKY:  aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? Probably coffee! I don’t drink that much but I can’t start a morning without having a few sips of it to start my day. 
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: 9wks + 1day 
    Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: finding out!

Baby is the size of a(n): cherry 🍒 

Upcoming appointments: feb 16th with family dr. Feb 21st ultrasound. Feb 23rd 1st appointment with midwives 

How are you feeling? Exhausted! And really diverse cravings. I read somewhere about just feeling hungover 24/7 and never related to something so much. 

Raves/Rants: raves: I actually want to eat this pregnancy last time I had terrible food aversion and couldn’t eat without getting sick. 
    Rants: I really just want to hear my babies heart beat. At my ultrasound they didn’t play it just showed it on the screen and they haven’t tried at any of my appointments yet. We plan to tell our 7 year old at 12 weeks as that’s supposed to be the safe period but I would just feel better hearing it before we tell her

Questions: na

soda water, I don’t need it but other wise I wouldn’t consume enough water
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: 8/16, 10w5d

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: finding out

Baby is the size of a(n): top of a tea candle?

Upcoming appointments: January 30th for now, we’ll be switching to a birth center if possible

How are you feeling? I was feeling much better week 9 but week 10 everything spiked back up. Morning sickness, throwing up, exhausted, headaches, emotional…I’ve been kind of a mess lately lol

Raves/Rants: raving on my SO, he’s been so helpful and wonderful. 

GTKY:  aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? I feel like I don’t even have one anymore😅 I used to have to start every day with a coffee/tea/matcha but I haven’t wanted it (or anything else really) for this pregnancy. Maybe my water bottle?
  • Options
    @lmn823 what a nice surprise for your mom, once she realized what she was looking at!

EDD/Weeks + days: 7/31? 13 weeks based on crl (haven’t confirmed if we are changing my edd with midwife or not yet)

Baby is the size of a(n): lemon

Upcoming appointments: not until February 

How are you feeling? Tired, still. That’s my main complaint. It’s time for a pregnancy pillow I think. I keep crashing hard the first part of the night then ending up wide awake for a couple hours around 2am. 

Raves/Rants: ranttttt: I just got over a long weekend “vacation” with MIL, her husband, his daughters and their families. It was ok overall, and I did have some fun, but I’m so tired now that I’m jumping back into work. And my MIL makes me want to pull my hair out most of the time. Our relationship devolved when I gave birth to her grandson- I mean, MY son. 

Questions: not currently 

GTKY:  aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? I guess maybe also coffee? Or any form of caffeine. Or some medicine for the caffeine withdrawals. I drank a little more caffeine than I probably should have the last couple days on this trip, so I’m adjusting back to one cup today. 
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: 8/23, 9w, 5d

Baby is the size of a(n): no idea 

Upcoming appointments: 2/10

How are you feeling? Better than last week. I still don’t have much of an appetite and nothing sounds good to eat. I’m nauseous if I wait too long to eat. Other than that just tired. 

Raves/Rants: haven’t been into work yet this week so not too much to rant about yet. I did finish rhinestoning my oldest daughter’s dance solo costume this weekend and she loves it. Glad it’s done, just in time for a competition next week. 

Questions: n/a 

GTKY:  aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? I used to say coffee but I stopped drinking caffeine over the summer. So maybe my water bottle 🤷🏻‍♀️
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: 8+5

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: Finding out

Baby is the size of a(n): wild strawberry/gummy bear? My apps disagree…

Upcoming appointments: 1/24! First OB appt

How are you feeling? TIRED. Hungry. Anxious.

Raves/Rants: living on fruit right now, cannot get enough. 

Questions: nah

My emotional support beverage. Can’t go anywhere without a drink, preferably a warm drink, but at the very least my emotional support water bottle.
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: Aug 13, 11+1 (I keep switching around but this is from the latest dating US!)

Baby is the size of a(n): a lime or a Lego man but I feel like those 2 are wildly different 

Upcoming appointments: first call with my midwife tomorrow on Jan 24

How are you feeling? Tired, same with tumbleweed and ccmrc I can't sleep through the night anymore. Drives me crazy.

Raves/Rants: Rave - I managed to get through my corporate kickoff event without showing signs of pregnancy. they knew I had a stomach flu last week (thats what actually caused my bouts of nausea) so they were understanding that I wasn't dribking. Rant - I can't get over how expensive groceries are, like how can they justify doubling the price of shelf items?? Sure it's an extra $1-2 but it adds up! 

Questions: none 

GTKY: aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? My phone! At least the calendar on it, I cannot live without my google calendar, I wouldn't show up to anything. I've trained my husband to use it too for appointments and important days.
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: Aug 26/9w

Baby is the size of a(n): green olive

Upcoming appointments: blood work tomorrow and first in person prenatal next Monday.

How are you feeling? Better with Diclectin! Even if it’s all just in my head. But still so tired. Getting through the workday is a real slog. My last pregnancy was during peak pandemic and I was WFH. I forgot how draining going into the office is whilst pregnant and feeling like shite, but pretending like nothing is up. I wish I was at least partially WFH. 

Raves/Rants: MH did all of the laundry and put it away today. I know this is a basic household task that any adult should do, but laundry is usually my thing and he does all dishes/kitchen clean up and lunch making (because I despise these tasks). I didn’t do any laundry this weekend since we were busy with a few activities and I felt crappy and it had become a giant laundry mountain. He works from home so he just chipped away at it through his day, bless him.

Questions: natm.

GTKY:  aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? Spotify. I listen to music and podcasts all day. 

Fwiw @ccmrc143 I did not think your rant sounded obnoxious. I completely agree. Childcare costs are outrageous. And it’s why so many people (typically women) are pushed from the workforce after having children because they simply don’t earn enough to make the money make sense. We are very fortunate to live somewhere that is working towards $10/day care. Our daycare costs have dropped significantly in the last year. But there was one point when two of our kids were in daycare and the cost was almost two times our mortgage payment. Like, yes, we all accept and understand that having children is going to have a financial impact and we will have to make different choices with our money, but being completely kneecapped by child care expenses just sucks.
  • Options
    Speaking about pregnancy pillows- my SO bought me one for Christmas from Amazon. It has a cooling cover which is wonderful bc I get so hot blooded especially at night and it cools me down. Also one of the arms unzips and you can just use one long side or zip it back up. I would recommend. $50 

• Options
    @lnm823 a cooling cover is such a good idea because August 🥵
  • Options
    @lmn823 ooh I think I'm going to invest in a pregnancy pillow this time. I didn't use one last time and my poor DH had to share the bed with me and 8 pillows.
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: Aug 26/ 9+3 

Baby is the size of a(n): Date 

Upcoming appointments: Ultrasound this morning and my first prenatal with the NIPT blood draw next Monday.  

How are you feeling? Every day is different. One day I’m feeling really sick the days following that I’m fine. 

Raves/Rants: the temps are rising to the low 40’s today. I hate when we get these warm temps in winter. Everything melts and turns to ice. Then I’m stuck wearing cleats the rest of the winter. 

Questions: 

GTKY:  aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? I have really come to love my podcasts and audiobooks. So probably Audible. 
  • Options
    Whoops, I’ve had this in drafts for 2 days. Got so busy and forgot to come back.

EDD/Weeks + days: 8/30, 9w

Baby is the size of a(n): cherry

Upcoming appointments: first appt with regular OB next week

How are you feeling? Boobs are SO sore! I’m also tired af and craving all the cheese. Otherwise, not a ton of physical symptoms. I’ve felt some stretching internally and am so
    bloated.

Raves/Rants: I busted out my maternity clothes this weekend. My pants are so uncomfortable and I’m just embracing it early. It’s mostly fat and bloat but whatever. I am thrilled to finally be done with taking Endometrin (progesterone suppositories). I’ve been doing those twice a day since right after my IUI and will not miss them!

Questions: Any plus size mamas here? Most of my old maternity pants don’t fit from last pregnancy any I am having a hard time finding much selection in plus size maternity. So frustrating!

GTKY:  aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? Some sort of interaction with someone, whether human or pet. Either that or singing. 
  • Options
    @lmn823 oooh i had my eye on that one. I have one from my first pregnancy but it it’s C shaped and not super comfortable.

@ccmrc143 the cost of daycare is insane! I can’t imagine having more than one in daycare at a time.
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: 13w 8/2

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: Team Green

Baby is the size of a(n): Lemon

Upcoming appointments: I have my NT scan tomorrow. I had a surprise u/s last Monday so it's nice to be able to see baby so close together.

How are you feeling? I feel good! Still bloated, but overall not bad. 

Raves/Rants: Rave: Two of my really good friends and I are all due within 6-8 weeks from each other and I love having pregnancy buddies. I was pregnant right in the middle of COVID the first time and felt so isolated, so it's been such a different pregnancy this time around and I'm excited to have a more 'normal' pregnancy and to have friends to go through it with.

Questions: N/A

GTKY:  aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? Probably phone or coffee haha.
  • Options
    @gingermama29 I got a few good pieces on Amazon. I also broke out the maternity clothes. Not the tops yet but the pants for sure. My bloat thanked me because after sitting with my pants digging into me it hurt really bad. 
  • Options
    @gingermama29 I forgot to mention this in my last tag..sorry. Im on progesterone suppositories and they are killing me. Im not sure how you survived twice a day. I’m wearing a pad so it doesn’t ruin my clothes like it did last pregnancy and I’m so over it. I was told I could stop around 9 weeks but I’m scared to stop until closer to 12 weeks. My midwife also thinks it is good to be taking with my hematoma. I’m looking forward to the day when I can just be done. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 FWIW my RE told me to stop at 9 weeks because it can be harmful to a pregnancy beyond that, especially if you’re pregnant with a boy. It could just be caution but something I thought I’d share.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    @gingermama29 I’m on progesterone injections for likely my whole pregnancy per my doc! I think the evidence is mixed on benefits but typically it’s more of a “might not do anything” as opposed to harmful.

For me specifically, without it my progesterone levels are less than half of the average pregnant woman. I think it’s pretty case dependent on if it’s beneficial or not :) but I’m thankful for it even tho my butt is tired of them already lol
  • Options
    @gingermama29 That’s interesting. I took it until 12 weeks last time and I had a boy. The MFM doctor wanted me to take injections until 37 weeks. Which I declined because the only preterm pregnancy I had was my first and I have gone on to have full term babies since then. I will definitely bring this up at my appointment on Monday. 
  • Options
    @cherrystorming and @emeraldcity603 I’m by no means educated enough to be doling out advice on the subject. My guess is it’s more out of an abundance of caution than anything. I don’t know if maybe it’s different between injections and suppositories? Haha my degree is in music so my knowledge is limited at best. I’m trusting my doctors know what they’re talking about, as I’m sure yours do too. 
  • Options
    I’m also on progesterone suppositories just once a day before bed and that’s made it tolerable. My OB hasn’t said anything about when to stop but the pharmacy slapped on a “do not take after” label dated for April so definitely not after that lol
  • Options
    @justyouraveragemama how far along will you be in April? Maybe they slapped that label there because it spoils by then? 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 between 20 & 24 weeks, I don’t remember the exact date. It does have a normal expiration date as usual on the label so maybe that’s it but idk for sure. I’ll have to ask about it at my appointment on Monday, I’ll be almost 12 weeks then
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: August 9th/12 weeks today

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: Green, for now. Am going to make a game time decision when they call with the NIPT results 😂

Baby is the size of a(n): plum

Upcoming appointments: next Tuesday ultrasound + blood work, and I just had my first physical appointment today! 

How are you feeling? Pretty good! Today was my first in person appointment. I was a little annoyed because we'd requested a specific kind of prenatal test that required an ultrasound and they failed to schedule that or a lab tech for today's appointment... They did book me to do both next Tuesday, though, so I don't have to wait too long. Symptoms are still thankfully pretty mild; I did need to order new bras and pants, though...

Raves/Rants: 
    We got to hear the baby's heartbeat today!!! I cried! It came through on the doppler right away, loud and clear. It was such a relief that it made me realize I'd been so nervous all day that I wouldn't hear it. I'm excited to tell people at work.

They did do a little internal swabbing and prodding at the exam, which made my cervix bleed, annnnd then I almost fainted. And I'm not ever bothered by the sight of blood, or pain really! it was just something about the whole situation and my nerves that almost took me out, lol. Blood work should be fun next week.

Day job stuff has been alright, but I wound up getting a bunch of side gig assignments this week that are exciting, but also big and on a time crunch. I'm trying not to stress out about them, but I am. I'm putting pressure on myself to make the most of the next few months before I put a pause on writing work -- that part of my life has been going really well the past year, and I'm worried about pumping the brakes.

Questions: Tips for not fainting/feeling like garbage from blood draws beyond drinking a lot of water? It's a vasovagal response and very annoying.

GTKY: aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? Coffee! I count my cats and husband as necessities. 
  • Options
    @rhp1189 Why we’re they swabbing you? Did they do a pap? I would not have allowed that while pregnant. They really shouldn’t be doing anything so rough with the cervix. 
  • Options
    How we have gotten most of our school done this week is a mystery. My MIL was here until Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday we had geography club until 1. Today I have a weight check for my 15 month old and we are doing a pj movie party with some friends because we are meeting for book club. I hate when we end up with multiple things scheduled in one week. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity1214 It was a pelvic exam and a pap, yes -- apparently it's routine at first pre-natal physicals at the clinic. I checked in with some friends and family and they said they'd had it too. It didn't hurt any more than a regular pap, but I think the surprise of the blood, increased sensitivity down there, and the doctor going "oh, uh! You're bleeding! It's okay, but here's a pad to wear home!" was what made me feel woozy. I thankfully haven't had any spotting or pain between shortly after leaving the office and now. But yeah, I'll definitely decline any future pokes that don't seem 100% necessary! I was going with what they recommended as the normal work up, since this is my first rodeo.
  • Options
    @rhp1189 I highly recommend looking up “routine” tests and procedures and going over the pros and cons, decide if you feel it’s necessary, and decide if you’d like them to do it or if you want to decline it. You can also say not today if they bring something up that you’re not sure about yet. Not everything is necessary for every single person and this is the best way for you to get individualized care
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: 11+6

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: green 

Baby is the size of a(n): macaron 

Upcoming appointments: repeat ultrasound on Friday, they didn’t get a good view on my first 

How are you feeling? Better, I think? Cautiously optimistic, the morning sickness has gotten better, it’s only really bad now when I am sleep deprived. I’m still exhausted all the time but I’m hoping that will go away. I can at least eat some real food now so I’m counting that as an absolute win. 

Raves/Rants: struggling to agree on baby names with my SO, thankfully we have lots of time. I honestly didn’t expect this as we are generally so on the same page. Stressed about money as I’m sure lots of people are, we got hit with a series of three fairly significant and unexpected expenses the past month or so which has cut pretty drastically into our funds for buying baby things. Again thankful we still have a fair bit of time. 

Questions: none 

GTKY:  aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? Avocado toast and BLTs I’d say, they’re the foods I’ve been consistently able to keep down 
  • Options
    @rhp1189 I feel like that is really old medical practices. Like stuff they did years ago. Were you even due for a pap? Unless you have had an abnormal pap they aren’t necessary every year but every 3 years (I think that’s the new recommendation. It’s something like that.) I agree with @justyouraveragemama. Look up the recommended procedures and decide if it’s truly necessary for you. The fact that she was so rough she made you bleed is crazy to me. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    EDD: 8/8
    Weeks + days: 12+3

Team Pink (found out via Maternit21 week 11)

Baby is the size of a(n): Plum 

Upcoming appointments: 13.5 week ultrasound on 2/5 (will post on social, etc. after this appt) 

How are you feeling? No nausea anymore, but fatigue is pretty severe still. Waiting for that burst of energy. 

Raves/Rants: Some days, I'm super alert and ready to take it all on (shopping, errands). Others, I feel like I've been kicked. I wish I had a bit more stability. 

Questions: Are folks storing their non-maternity clothes? It's stressing me out to look at so many items I no longer can fit into. 

GTKY:  aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? Eight Sleep. It's not cheap but the individual temperature control has been gamechanging. 
  • Options
    @rhp1189 I am sorry you were bleeding! With my first I remember STMs and my doula being shocked about cervical checks and the like, and reminding me I didn’t have to consent. I didn’t understand why that mattered until leading up to birth and I had tough experiences. The cervical checks at the end were traumatic for me, and then I was induced using a balloon which was more painful than actual delivery. For this pregnancy I have said outright that I will not do non-emergency pre-labor cervical checks or swabs or smears or anything because I respond with extreme anxiety now. So as @justyouraveragemama said it’s all up to you, and if it hurts you can always have them stop ❤️ You’re also probably like why does everyone care so much?! Just don’t want anyone to experience anything difficult unnecessarily!

@forzaebellezza you’re way ahead of me! I’m procrastinating maternity clothes purchases big time and getting away with leggings while staring longingly at my other clothes. I think I should consider putting them away, at least some of them. That seems like a good weekend task. 
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: Edd 8/28, 9 weeks 4 days

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: green

Baby is the size of a(n): a tater tot (how cute!)

Upcoming appointments: Yesterday, got to see babe, due date changed to 8/28, hr 159!

How are you feeling? nausea has calmed down a little, but idk if i just dont notice because I have a bad URI right now. Cant breath out of my nose at all, coughed so much I threw up and had to sleep in the recliner last night.

Raves/Rants: I hate not being able to take cold medicine in the first trimester!

Questions: None, just moved over from Sept group, was thinking of doing so anyway as I knew I would be induced in August (original edd 9/1, but this was a surprise so dates not exact) 

Used to be coffee, hot only please. But ive barely been able to take more than a few sips this entire pregnancy. Now its my water, the thirst is constant!
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + days: 8/10, 12+2 (finally remembered!)

Baby is the size of a(n): lime or plum 

Upcoming appointments: just had it Thursday so now not for another month

How are you feeling? Still generally normal 

Raves/Rants: We did all the routine lab stuff this time, plus the NIPT draw and some extra for clotting stuff since my cousin was diagnosed with Factor V Leiden (someone here has that, right?). I actually had a pap this time too, which is standard for this OB practice at 12 weeks regardless of your last pap date, and actually it was that way at my last OB too. So rave - everything was normal, I'm negative on any clotting issues, and the phlebotomist was awesome. Rant, which is more funny to me than anything - my OB just is so dead set that I'm going to have GD. My mom has diabetes, but I didn't have it last time around (not did my sister, who also sees this OB), and my lab work (both at my last wellwoman exam and this week) came back with textbook results for glucose, A1Cs, the whole nine. But the nurse giving me the results said "I do have a note here from the doctor that, given the size of your last baby, she encourages you to eat a low-carb diet, and really watch portion sizes and be exercising daily." She mentioned that during my appointment too, and twice at my one before that. Insert my gigantic eye roll here. I'm not skinny by any stretch, but I'm also not morbidly obese. Chill with the diabetes doom! (I did stick with the same OB -- I wanted to go one more time and see if the COVID shot discussion was a one-off during a weird day for her or if that was just a harbinger of what this would be like, and for this appointment she was great and I really liked my rapport with her this time, so I'm just writing that conversation off as "doctors are people too" and letting it go.)

Questions: am I nuts for considering going on our annual trip to the beach? My husband's family is all out east, but his grandparents have a beach house on the Outer Banks so every 4th of July that whole side gets together for the week out there. Since he's remote for work, we usually go out that way 3-4 days early (they live in Virginia Beach, and his mom and sisters come in then too) and stay 2-3 days after, so we're gone for about two weeks. I would abbreviate that a bit, even if he and my daughter go the whole time, such that I'd be there for about a week total (3-4 days in Virginia, 3-4 days in North Carolina). So the timing would work out that I fly home at exactly 35 weeks. My OB wasn't against it, just said to have an exit strategy even if that means with a preemie, and to know what the hospital facilities are like (I looked and there's a hospital with L/D no more than 15 minutes from us no matter where we are in the trip, and a really good children's hospital 20 minutes from his grandparents' house if anything did go sideways, even at the beach, where we would be transported, according to DH's cousin who is an ER nurse in the area). I would do basically nothing while out there -- we take turns with dinner so I'd only have to cook once the whole time, the laundry fairy lives there so I don't generally have to so much as fold a shirt, we have a tent with fans if I do decide to go down to the water but I can also park my happy ass on the shaded patio in the swing and take a nap watching the ocean, or hang out in the AC inside in peace. But...it is kind of late in the game, especially if my OB is basically planning on a CS no later than 39 weeks. Am I nuts or is this a no-brainer to go?

GTKY: aside from necessities, what is one thing you couldn’t go a day without? These days, carbonation. My dentist is going to hate me but the only things I actively WANT to drink are sparkling. I'm thinking about getting a Soda stream because going through two cans of Coke zero or sparkling water every day is getting pricey, and that's because I'm limiting myself to 2 because if I had my way it'd be like 6.
  • Options
    @ki1244 yes I have FVL! Also I’m considering flying to Montana at 33 weeks for a friend’s wedding with everyone’s families/kids. I want to go so badly. I also looked up the local hospital and it’s fine but no NICU so would need to medi-copter. I’m not sure yet if we’ll do it but I hope so. There will be so many people there who can hang out with DS and do things for me haha. It’s just the trip itself — a long flight with a layover and then a shorter one. With factor v plus pregnancy I basically would need to walk the aisle every 20 minutes. With a toddler. So I’m in the same boat wondering how realistic this is.