Baby Names
Options

Opinions on the name Magdalen

I am especially interested to hear from those who live in the US because, while I believe this name is quite common in many countries, here in the states it is not common at all. I met one girl with this name years ago and have loved it ever since (she actually spelled it Magdalyn, which I do like but would most likely go with the traditional spelling). As a Christian it is very meaningful to me and I also think super cute. But the few people I’ve told it to haven’t had the best reactions. They asked if I would call her Maggie, which to me seems like they don’t like the full name and are hoping I’ll call her something else. I don’t think I would use Maggie as a nickname since it was my dog’s name growing up and I’m not sure I could get past that. I would maybe use Mag or Mags but I really just like the full name. If anyone has ideas of other nicknames I’m open to hearing them. But I mostly want to just see what people think in general. Thanks!

Re: Opinions on the name Magdalen

• Options
    00kim0000kim00 member
    edited January 2023
    I like it! It's a real name, but uncommon, and has some old world charm. It does have an association with prostitution, though, so some unkind person will probably tell her she's named after a prostitute at some point in her life. Just be sure to build her up with stories of how/why the name is meaningful to you. I've known some Magdelanas in the US (of Hispanic descent), but I haven't met a Magdalen.

Maggie is the obvious nickname, but I could see Dolly or Lena as great contenders if you like them and start calling her that before Maggie sticks.
  • Options
    Yes, I do anticipate that will be brought up at some point, which is unfortunate since it’s a total myth that she was a prostitute. A chance to educate people I guess! Thanks for the nickname suggestions, I hadn’t thought of Dolly
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like the name a lot! I don’t think I’ve ever met a Magdalen. It’s still a name and as Kim said it’s got a very charming air about it. 
  • Options
    Sorry to say I am not a fan. To me it has a clumsy sound to it, hard to say. I also think it will be confused with Madeline/Madelyn with are super common.