July 2023 Moms

Heart burn

Anyone else getting extreme heart burn? I’ve had to cut out a lot of items. I still find myself getting heart burn which eventually causes me to puke from all the acid. It’s been non stop since the beginning of pregnancy. 

Anyone else experiencing this? 

Re: Heart burn

• Yes! I’m 12 weeks and mine started getting really bad last week especially when I go to bed. Taking 40mg of famotadine but isn’t helping fully! 
  • I feel like mine got really bad pretty early on, I’ve always had a hard time with heartburn when it came to lemon and lemonade. This one is just awful though, had to cut out my main fruits I used to eat - grapes, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries. Everything was causing heart burn. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I’ve had it the entire time. I’m 16 weeks and 5 days. 
  • I've had it my whole pregnancy. I'm 25 weeks and fed up of it. 
  • 26 weeks and this just hit me... it's so bad in the evenings. I prop myself up with 3 pillows at night to help.
  • I’ve hard heart burn pretty much the entire time too. Oddly, water seems to be one of the things that triggers my heartburn which obviously I can’t go without, so my doctor has me taking Pepcid. It’s helps a lot!
  • Mine was bad first trimester, then went away and has been back for 2 weeks now. Seems like everything triggers it. I've been eating smaller meals.... sometimes helps. I've also taken to exercising or just walking after a particularly bad episode and that seems to work the best
  • Friends! Heartburn is/was killing me. Doc gave me a prescription for nausea I think by mistake which didn’t help. I was vomiting up acid (which smells so bad and HURTTTTTSSSSS). Then a friend (male) suggested I try like half a teaspoon of baking soda and water. 

FAM. IT WORKS. I have it generally after a meal but also whenever I need it. I sit and have this big ol’ burps for like an hour and boom I’m good. No more gaviscon! I still watch what I eat (nothing spicy, fatty, etc) cause I don’t trust this baking soda 100% (probably just in my mind). But I was getting indigestion from EVERYTHING and I was just so hungry. I promise it helps. Let me know if you try it! 
  • I also get it from drinking water and just about everything else I eat drink. 13 weeks to go and definitely counting! 😅
  • My midwife recommended this to me. I didn't wanna try because it sounds gross but I'm so fed up of it. She also gave me other remedies I'll share below. 

Thoroughly chew about six raw almonds, cashews, or hazelnuts and swallow them down at once
    Drink about 30 mL of apple cider vinegar like a shot or diluted with water a couple times a day
    Drink 1 tsp baking soda and quarter lemon in water each day
    Drink hot water with grated ginger added to it (or drink gingerale)
    Maintain good posture
    Go for a walk after meals          
    Avoid laying down / leaning over right after eating
    Wear loose fitting clothing
    Elevate the head of your bed 2 to 4 inches (keep you head and chest elevated)
  • I've had beartburn early on and it just keeps getting worse. I was on 1 pepcid a day, then 2, now on some prescription  med twice a day and nothing seems to help. I've changed my diet, sleep propped up and no relief. It sounds like the baking soda may help and I'll try anything at this point!
  • For the last few weeks mine has weirdly gotta better. I'm 29 weeks. If I sit after eating thats when it's the worst so I have so eat tiny meals and keep moving. That way it doesn't sit and actually digests. 

One thing that I think has really helped is I'm taking prebiotics. My midwife told me to only buy the ones that are refridgerated. I take one in the morning and that seems to be working wonders for me. That and not sitting still. My poor swollen ankles haha 
  • I've never had heartburn until 30 weeks. Now I sometimes get it at night. A walk after dinner helps but tums typically keep it manageable.  
  • This just started for me, too. Just occasionally so I haven't figured out a trigger yet.