1st Trimester
Options

Is red wine ok to drink while pregnant?

I am 11 weeks and it's been a controversial topic about wine being ok while others may say it's not.I want to make sure which one is best choice to make . 

Answers

• Options
    I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that it's controversial. The evidence is clear and any professional body that deals with prenatal health (such as the American council of midwives, The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, American academy of pediatrics, world health organization, etc.) ALL agree that alcohol is harmful to the fetus and be there is no safe amount of alcohol or safe time during pregnancy to drink. That includes wine. The best choice is to avoid alcohol entirely until after your child is born.
  • Options
    Why would you choose to drink?  Seriously, is it worth the risk? I say nope. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know it’s controversial, but I have an OB who has been practicing for like 50 years and is highly respected and well researched and he told me that once I’m 13 weeks he would say a glass of wine every once in a while shouldn’t hurt the baby. He still said to be careful and limit alcohol consumption to a minimum (like a glass a month) but that ultimately it wouldn’t hurt the baby in small and infrequent amounts once I’m at 13 weeks. I still am going to stay on the safe side and not drink at all, but I’d ask your OB and see what they say.. they may say something similar or may have a different opinion.
  • Options
    The research, which is fact, not opinion, says that they do not know the amount of alcohol that causes harm so it's best to avoid all. I really don't understand wanting to take the risk in harming your developing baby over a glass of wine.
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Options
    i love how everyone is so aggressive about you “taking the risk” when all you did was ask a question. the mom communities are honestly some of the most hostile and toxic ive ever f$cking seen. the only good response here is from knottie and my midwife said the same at the end of the day its your call, the most minimal about infrequently or none at all is always safest. I dont condone but i was also under the impression that once glass a month late second or third trimester was safe and my baby was born healthy and happy, but thete is always a risk! best of luck to you and ur baby
  • Options
    @rounddose because all the evidence says no drinking is safe. I knew that as a child... it's an easy thing to google and see. It seems ridiculous to ask this question when the evidence is so clear. No alcohol is safe. Nor is it essential to living. It's not hard to abstain from for 9 months. And if it is, it indicates an addiction problem that should be addressed 
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Options
    Like some of the PPs, I too was also told from my OBGYN that a glass of wine every once in awhile is fine and won't harm the baby. She told me that being overly stressed is more harmful and if a glass of wine helps me relax/unwind, just have a glass