1st Trimester
Options

Measuring a week behind

So this is my first pregnancy from IVF. DH and I transferred 2 embryos on 10/18 and then 5 days later we got our BFP. We had our 2nd U/S at 7wk4d yesterday and we saw our baby and the yolk sac.  Well, the doctor was concerned because the baby measured 6wk1d putting me a week behind in growth. I'm a very petite person and I would think hey.. maybe it's because I'm little. Of course, the concern for possible mc came up because I was behind. My fertility dr called later to give me her doom and gloom opinion which was, "I'm sorry but this isn't a viable pregnancy because there is no heartbeat." 

No heartbeat?? Umm.. that's weird because the dr here didn't measure for a heartbeat or even mention to my DH and me that she didn't see one. My fertility dr ended up going back into the dr notes to see that she hadn't even put anything in that section let alone state that she didn't see nor hear a heartbeat. 😑 So I plan on going back next week at 8wk4d to see if my baby miraculously grew more than expected and has a heartbeat before I believe my pregnancy is unviable.  

Have anyone had any success stories where you were a week behind early but ended up having a beautiful baby? 

Re: Measuring a week behind

• Options
    edited November 2022
    With my daughter who is now 3, I measured about a week behind what we expected based on my LMP. She wasn't conceived via IVF, so I don't know if it's different, but my situation turned out completely fine. I think my cycle was a bit irregular. Wishing you the best of luck!
  • Options
    I don't think you being petite would have an impact at this stage. You didn't mention whether it was a fresh or frozen transfer. That does make a difference- frozen embryos can take longer to develop, so measuring behind at first is less cause for concern. Also, are your RE and sonographer in the same office? Or are you using separate offices? If your fertility doctor is in one location, and your ultrasounds are happening at another location that maybe isn't always associated with your RE, that can also explain some discrepancies and the lack of documentation regarding a heartbeat (my RE was out of state, but monitoring and ultrasounds were done locally, for example). You also said your second ultrasound was measuring behind, what about your first? Was there growth between the two, and was the growth on track?

Personally, I had a FET, and originally measured 4 days behind. I'm 34 weeks now, and baby is in the 90th percentile and seems healthy overall, so he has more than caught up. But I can't tell you if your pregnancy is viable; your doctor has a lot more experience in this than I do. With the information we have, at this point it seems like it's a wait and see. If you're the type who feels better being cautiously optimistic, then hold onto hope and enjoy being pregnant (because, at the moment at least, you are!). If you're the type who really needs to not get your hopes up, then you can stay guarded until you find out more. For myself, I went through 7 years of infertility, including one loss, before this pregnancy, so I was determined to celebrate and enjoy every moment of this pregnancy, no matter how long it lasted (or how anxious or disbelieving I was that it would last). We told my husband's family right away, the same day as the BFP, so I would be choosing to believe it's viable until proven otherwise. That said, with 7 years of infertility, I was on the opposite end every month while waiting for my period- I couldn't take the hope then disappointment each month, so I chose to believe I wasn't pregnant and stopped taking pregnancy tests unless I was really late. So you figure out what your heart needs right now, as you wait for your next ultrasound. Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks. Unfortunately, my pregnancy journey has come to an end. They found no heartbeat and the baby stopped growing. This is pretty heartbreaking for us given that we have been trying for 3 years and I'm over 40 so there's a lot of concern about whether or not we'll be able to start our family and have a biological child. My fertility dr was already pushing donor eggs last year.  
  • Options
    Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. How devastating!  :'(

I have known women who have had success with donor eggs, donor embryos, adoption, or have ended their journey "complete as two" with their husband. We did foster care for a while, and as I mentioned in my last post I'm currently pregnant from IVF (at age 41 with my own eggs, btw, so it is possible over 40). There are many paths forward from here when you're ready, but it's okay to take some time now to grieve. ((hugs))
  • Options
    @tlew79 I’m so sorry for your loss. ❤️❤️
  • Options
    I’m very sorry for your loss. It’s devestating to hear that there’s no heartbeat. I pray things work out for you. 
  • Options
    @tlew79 I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs ❤️