1st Trimester
Options

Can you find out at 1 week pregnant??

samann1991samann1991 member
edited January 2023 in 1st Trimester
I tested positive on a home pregnancy test yesterday. I went to the hospital today to get a blood test to confirm. 
They wanted to do an ultrasound because I said that I spotted 2 days ago and I have light cramping. 
It was very light and only once. After I found out I was pregnant, I chalked the bleeding up to implantation. 
The doctor said they couldn’t see anything on the ultrasound and that I’m probabaly about 1 week pregnant.!!?? 
Like, can you even know at 1 week?
I read somewhere that that really means 4 weeks. 
What do y’all think? I mean, I figured the doctor would say 4 weeks if that’s what he meant. 

Answers

• Options
    That's very strange that a doctor would say that. You're right that it doesn't make sense- 1 week pregnant means 1 week after your last period, which is a week before you even ovulate, so you can't really be pregnant at that point. So you may be 4 weeks (when was your last period?), in which case you might not see anything on an ultrasound yet
  • Options
    I would say the doctor meant 3 weeks. One week pregnant would be 1 week after the sperm and egg meet and right after implantation which is counted as week 3 because they go off of LMP. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry, but you test positive and go to the HOSPITAL for blood work - and we wonder why our ERs are backed up for people who truly need it :( 

That would be a great thing to call your doctor and get an appt. if you don't have a doctor the the public health center and they would help get you situated.  

Yeah 1 week pregnant probably meant 4 weeks. 

I tested positive on a home pregnancy test yesterday. I went to the hospital today to get a blood test to confirm. 
    They wanted to do an ultrasound because I said that I spotted 2 days ago and I have light cramping. 
    It was very light and only once. After I found out I was pregnant, I chalked the bleeding up to implantation. 
    The doctor said they couldn’t see anything on the ultrasound and that I’m probabaly about 1 week pregnant.!!?? 
    What do y’all think? I mean, I figured the doctor would say 4 weeks if that’s what he meant. 

• Options
    @harpseal135 is it really necessary for someone to have to say” No negative comments” on their post? I kind of thought that that would come with the territory of announcing that I’m pregnant. I went to the hospital because I was worried about the mild cramping and the spotting. I wanted to be sure that everything was fine and then I was indeed pregnant and didn’t have a tubal pregnancy. 

• Options
    samann1991samann1991 member
    edited January 2023
    @00kim00 thank you for your reply. 
    Yes, very strange. 
    My last period was in September, so we could not really go off that. 
  • Options
    @samann1991

You are quoted as saying "I went to the hospital today to get a blood test to confirm."  

Sorry, but even if you knew you were pregnant slight cramping and spotting doesn't mean running to the ER.  It is a reason to give your doctors office a call and talk to the nurses line.  Sorry, but not sorry - this is one reason why ERs are overwhelmed.
    It was very light and only once. 
  • Options
    @harpseal135 don’t say sorry if you’re not. And you are the reason that a lot of people don’t want to post about anything of their personal business.
  • Options
    @harpseal135 is it really necessary for someone to have to say” No negative comments” on their post? I kind of thought that that would come with the territory of announcing that I’m pregnant. I went to the hospital because I was worried about the mild cramping and the spotting. I wanted to be sure that everything was fine and then I was indeed pregnant and didn’t have a tubal pregnancy. 

You posted on a public forum. You don’t get to dictate how anyone responds to your post. Just so you know, it is absolutely ridiculous to go to the hospital to confirm your pregnancy. 

@harpseal135 my husband works at the ER and he has told me people come in just to take a pregnancy test. What a waste of resources. Not to mention the most expensive pregnancy test anyone will ever take. 
  • Options
    @samann1991, unfortunately, there are at least a few people who consistently comment on these posts who are also consistently negative or sound like they are above others. I hope that most learn to ignore their snide remarks and you do not take it too personally. The same information could be communicated in a polite and educational manner without making others feel bad.

Best of luck in your pregnancy! I do find the birth month boards to be much more helpful and friendly.
  • Options
    @karbaud thank you! I’ll check it out! ❤️