3rd Trimester

Death of a parent while pregnant

I am currently 36 weeks pregnant. My mother was sick for almost 2 years with a terminal illness and in the last week she declined rapidly. Yesterday morning she passed, albeit peacefully. I knew this day was coming and the wait while also watching her suffer was sometimes debilitating. I feel a sense of relief she is no longer suffering but my heart is broken she will never get to meet my first born. Has anyone here dealt with this? I guess I’m just looking for some advice on navigating feelings of happiness waiting for my little one and grieving at the same time. 

Re: Death of a parent while pregnant

• I'm so sorry that you have lost your mother, especially so close to your baby being born. I have not experienced this loss, but I wanted to express my condolences.
  • So very sorry for your loss. There are no words to really make you feel better. Only time can take that kind of hurt away. I hope that the birth of your baby can help you to focus on your own life's journey and happiness. May you find strength and peace in the days ahead, and eventually you'll find that the sad moments come less, and the sweet memories remain <3 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am sorry for your loss. I have no experience with a parent passing but my great grandmother passed away while I was pregnant. She and I were very close, my first name is her last name. It helps that my whole family is very close. I’d suggest keeping in close touch with your remaining family and talk to your child about your mom as they grow. Don’t let your mom’s memory become a taboo around your family. Grieve and mourn in your way, but let yourself enjoy your mom’s memory with you child in the future. 
  • I lost my mom at 36wks pregnant with my 5th baby and lost my dad around 25wks pregnant with this baby. It's very hard to navigate. Do you have anything special that belongs to her? I have a ring that she always wore and I made sure to have it with me during labor and recovery and it made a difference. Kind of felt like a piece of her was there. And it's totally valid to feel both grief and joy at the same time. I think the distraction and being able to focus on pregnancy and baby actually helped get me through those tough few months.

Sending you lots of hugs and prayers. ❤️
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Wow, you a strong one. I am sorry about your losses. That is actually a really good idea about a ring. Thank you for that ❤️