March 2023 Moms

New Years Randoms

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
, 💙💙💙💙💙💙

Re: New Years Randoms

• Today was a rough day. Huge, miserable, and I think Baby boy was putting a ton of pressure of those main arteries or something because I kept getting out of breath, get hot flashes, then really dizzy. Not fun.

Also anyone struggling with what you are physically capable of doing now that we are getting so far along and what people think you can't do? It's getting so frustrating. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Sorry you had such a rough day physically! 

I’m torn on the what I can do vs what people think I can do. On one hand I’m all “strong woman who can do it herself” and on the other I’m all “help get my water bottle, I’m like a turtle stuck on its back.” I screamed “fuck” and then started to cry earlier today when I had trouble with a drill bit. So, it comes and goes 🙃

Already 2023…dang. I stopped being a resolution person a few years ago when I kept letting myself down and tend to use this time of year to reset my intentions of doing things that serve me, and not someone else. That sounds selfish written like that- but I’m a huge people pleaser and have often lost myself in my 20s and early 30s trying to be or do things that are more aligned to others. Everything from fashion and what I’m reading, to what I do in my spare time, even to my own career goals. Letting go of trying to be what I think others want and focusing on what it is *I* want has been huge for me, so I’m recommitting go this focus again. 

I’ve let go of relationships I felt I “had” to say connected to and while painful, I ultimately feel better. I buy clothes that bring me joy and not a style a friend pulls off beautifully but isn’t for me. I stopped trying to be a runner and just enjoy my hot girl walks. I’m leaning into what works and recognizing that the things that feel hard are maybe hard because they aren’t right for *me* versus a challenge and learning to tell the difference. 

Not sure why I chose this space to let that out- guess that’s what happens when I don’t have therapy in a given week 😅 But I hope you all have had a peaceful start to the new year! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @nopegoat sorry you had a rough day. I'm feeling you on the what I can do vs what other people think I can do. I try to.push myself but just give up sometimes and let people think I'm incapable of doing things like walk up and down the stairs haha

@heytallmama I don't think that sounds selfish at all. I'm also a people pleaser and once I learned to do what serves me and stop thinking about how i think others want me to show up, I'm so much happier. One thing I read that really struck me is to always show up as yourself. People want you, not multiple versions of someone ekse. If you're doing something in a way that others do it because they're successful at it, you may fail or be unhappy if it's not aligned with you and your values. I probably butcherd that but I hope I got the point across. 😅

My husband asked me while I was walking to bed last night what my goals are for 2023. He insisted that I make them before the day ends. I told him my goal is to survive.

I HATE the pressure that's put on people to make goals for the year. I think people are in many different stages of their lives and just because it's a new year, doesn't mean you need to reinvent yourself. I do think it's important to set goals, but I do it as I need, not when I'm told I "should". 
  • @nopegoat yes 1000%. We’ve been doing nursery setup and by “we” I mean my husband and parents. I’ve pretty much been sitting in a chair doing nothing. I can barely even pick things off the floor anymore. But my husband will always think I can’t like do the dishes but what I really can’t do is refill the cats’ bowls or get the laundry from the floor into the basket. 

We went to a show at the theater tonight and I couldn’t even get in and out of the chairs myself. Everyone did a standing ovation at the end and I looked like the only jerk not standing because I literally couldn’t turtle out of it. Then I came home to find out that my cat did the absolute most watery and disgusting barf she’s ever done in her life all down the front of the rocking chair and ottoman we just got delivered a few days ago for the nursery. And I can’t get down to clean it and I love my husband to death and I love that he immediately jumped into help but he totally wrecked the fabric trying to do it “his way” and I’m so upset now. Happy bleeping new year I guess! 

@heytallmama totally not selfish. People pleasing can really suck the life out of you. My husband and I both have oldest child syndrome where we’ll do anything to make our parents happy and it’s really hard to step back from those types of behaviors and be like “hi this is the real me behind all of that.”
  • @miss_lynn9 I love setting goals. I feel like without goals I just sort of drift without ever doing anything until one day I have a breakdown because the house is a mess and full of clutter, I have 17 unfinished crafting projects, I haven't read a book or exercised or gone outside in months because I spend all my time watching reality TV, the budget is in shambles, etc. Goals are how I masquerade as a functioning adult. But I also don't buy into all of the "new year, new me" hype. I have enough self-awareness to know that I'm never going to be the sort of person who does yoga, runs every morning, or enjoys modern "self care" (long baths with bath bombs). I did 6 month goals for 2023. Jan-June is all about baby prep, setting up systems/routines to make the newborn phase easier, and post-partum recovery. July-December is all about a smooth return to work and figuring out what life looks like as a family of 4. With some sanity-maintaining goals sprinkled in throughout. 
  • heytallmamaheytallmama member
    edited January 2023
    @noxacanthus I love that idea of 6 month goals/ areas of focus. That seems like it’d be so much more manageable.  
  • @nopegoat sorry you’ve been having a hard time! I get similar symptoms due to low iron levels and it sucks. I hope you’re gets better soon!! 

I am also not a goals person, mostly because I forget all about it and then feel guilty in a month when I remember. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

I’m currently nap trapped by my son, who has been throwing up everything he eats/drinks over the past 12 hours. Poor boy is so sad 🥺 By some miracle we got into the doctors schedule for today (thanks Ontario healthcare for making this noteworthy!) so hopefully we will be able to get some fluids in him somehow. 
    The silver lining is I’m sitting in his new “big boy” room that I painted last weekend. The colour is way more blue than I intended but it is so
    happy and fits his personality so well ❤️ I love it. 

• @noxacanthus I love the idea of 6 month goals. I have some goals for the next 2 months but I didn't think to do PP ones, that's a good idea. I also have some goals for my mat leave but it's more of a wait and see how things go to see if I can actually manage it. 
  • @muggsd my iron was great with the first tri bloodwork and they checked it again with my glucose tolerance test and I'll be getting those results back soon hopefully.

I stopped doing actual resolutions a few years ago and instead choose a word that I want to focus on for the year. Growth is the word for this year. It may just be giving birth and growing our family but I'm hoping to also include our homesteading and my faith. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Midwife actually posted my lab results tonight. No GD and slightly anemic.

Also I'm all of a sudden so incredibly antsy and mentally wanting to do all the nesting and prepping things. Physically I'm like, nope.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @nopegoat I'm with you there. I said I would wait until January to start prepping and my brain wants to get it all done now but I just want to sit on the couch I'm so exhausted. 
  • I tried to be productive and made a list of the stuff my husband has to do before this baby arrives especially since we are having a homebirth and our main bathroom is still in shambles from almost a year ago. It just made me feel like a crazy person. 😅 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Finally back in the office after a looong Christmas break. We got a lot of projects done after a week long trip to Gatlinburg. Painted DS's room, and got most of his stuff moved in. Also worked on potty training DD2, but that's not going great. Finished up the last of the little stuff for the new baby (shampoo, gas drops, etc.). The only thing I still would like to do is get a new diaper pail. I hate the one I bought a few months ago, and if I happen to have 3 in diapers (please no!), Ima need a good pail.
  • Definitely with the exhaustion but also frustration about people not letting me do the things. We got a ton of things done last week though so I’m feeling like I can let myself rest a little bit more. At the same time there is still so much left to do and I am running out of brain power and energy. What do babies need again? 
  • I’m having good days and bad days now in terms of energy and discomfort. Christmas and New Years plans all got cancelled because literally everyone got Covid and/or a stomach bug or bad cold. I was so upset about it because we live 2 hours away from friends and family so planned events are the only time I get to see anyone. It’s been isolating and depressing but I’m counting my blessings that I’m still healthy! 

All that aside, having a week of unplanned stay-cation turned out to be much needed for nesting and resting. We did a bunch of organizing and I also have almost finished painting a mural in the nursery! But I could only do half days of work. I’d get so exhausted and standing and painting for hours at a time gave me such back pain! Worth it though! When I wasn’t nesting, I was napping, working on jigsaw puzzles, and playing board games with my husband. 

Today is my first day back to work and I’m on my second cup of tea for energy lol. But luckily it’s all sit down work so my back is okay and I get sit comfortably with my heating pad. 
  • It looks amazing. Changes directly to the face)

• @muggsd I swear they look SOO much older every time. 😭 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Random non scientific curiosity poll here…does anyone know your number for your one glucose reading, especially if it was below 100? Mine was only 85 and I have had on and off issues with low sugar in my life. There’s not much medical/scientific data on low readings in pregnancy other than less than 88 may be considered low at one hour, but doesn’t end up correlating with poor pregnancy outcomes. And it was an older study 🙁

I felt like absolute garbage right at and after the blood draw and knew something wasn’t right. I’m obviously so thankful I don’t have GD but this is also concerning me. 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida mine was 71! I was one number above the lowest “normal” reading but my OB office didn’t seem concerned at all. Which is completely opposite from my first pregnancy when I was one number above the highest and I had to take the 3 hour. 
  • I had two coworkers yesterday tell me that from the way I’m walking down the hall they don’t think I’ll make it 8 more weeks 🙃🫠
  • @mamahosch Same. 😅 Our school counselor asked if I’m having twins. 🤦🏼‍♀️  Nope, just short. 😅
  • @mamahosch Same. 😅 Our school counselor asked if I’m having twins. 🤦🏼‍♀️  Nope, just short. 😅
    Whyyyyy do people say this?!?!

@mamahosch Wow that’s definitely low! I looked back and my last one was 89 with my daughter. We must have really efficient sugar transport! I’ve definitely had some episodes of low sugar/need to eat NOW this pregnancy more than others at really random non meal times and I get this way during breastfeeding too. 

There’s also a category of people whose livers may not release sugar stores efficiently when your body needs them and I wonder if that’s me. There’s no real fix besides small frequent meals and following your hunger cues/not fasting long. 
  • @mamahosch @Wishilivedinflorida - I'm also in that low number for glucose. I eat a regular breakfast ahead of time (eggs, toast with jelly, OJ, coffee with creamer), and I have always been in the 80s. I get low blood sugar episodes usually on the weekends when I forget to eat a snack. I eat about every 2-3 hours usually.