Baby Names

Short Boy Names with Homage to India

vizmamavizmama member
edited January 2023 in Baby Names
8 weeks (or less) to go and we still don’t have a name picked out. Looking for short names for our boy. We are both Indian-American (Indian last name) and want something easy to spell (ie can appear on a keychain at Disneyworld) that won’t get mispronounced (pet peeve: “Sanjay” pronounced soonjay, “Akshay” pronounced ackshea). Open to American/Western names that are short/versatile too.

Inspo/ideas:
Kai (homage to Kailash/Kairav)
Ryan (homage to Rayaan/Rian)
Kieran (homage to Kiran)
Devin (homage to Deven/Devan)
Evan/Ethan (no Indian connection but short and sweet)

Please help!!! Any votes on the above or additional suggestions are welcome! 

Re: Short Boy Names with Homage to India

• I think I'd choose Ryan or Devin. However most of your names strike me as Irish and do not give an impression that they pay homage to India (unless you explain it). 
  • My first impression with Kai is Asian, not Indian, but I’m not familiar with Indian names. 

Ryan is very popular but has been for years so I think it would be a good option. It shouldn’t end up dated, as I don’t think it’s “trendy,” it’s just popular. 

I like Kieran. I have a cousin named Kieran and it was cute as a baby name but “grows up” with the kid. 

Devin is another great option, although I don’t associate it with India. 

Evan and Ethan are both very good names. If you like these a lot, weigh that against the importance of keeping an Indian connection in the first name. He already has a last name with his heritage engrained and, unlike women, he will likely never lose that name. 

My vote: Kieran for the Indian connection, but if you love Evan or Ethan, take stock of why you love them and how important it is to pay homage to your heritage with a first name. 
  • Loading the player...
  • vizmamavizmama member
    edited January 2023
    mb0112 said:
    I think I'd choose Ryan or Devin. However most of your names strike me as Irish and do not give an impression that they pay homage to India (unless you explain it).

Good thing I might have a St. Patty’s Day baby on my hands :smile: My family will know those names have a connection to India so I’m less worried about having to explain (and happy that they will be happy that we’ve considered that). Thank you for your votes! 
  • My first impression with Kai is Asian, not Indian, but I’m not familiar with Indian names. 

Ryan is very popular but has been for years so I think it would be a good option. It shouldn’t end up dated, as I don’t think it’s “trendy,” it’s just popular. 

I like Kieran. I have a cousin named Kieran and it was cute as a baby name but “grows up” with the kid. 

Devin is another great option, although I don’t associate it with India. 

Evan and Ethan are both very good names. If you like these a lot, weigh that against the importance of keeping an Indian connection in the first name. He already has a last name with his heritage engrained and, unlike women, he will likely never lose that name. 

My vote: Kieran for the Indian connection, but if you love Evan or Ethan, take stock of why you love them and how important it is to pay homage to your heritage with a first name. 
    Appreciate ALL of this. I agree that Kai reads East Asian. I’m glad Kieran (is that how your cousin spells it too?) reads adult-ish also—we had Kodi on our list but thought that may not age as well.
  • That's so funny, my husband REALLY wanted to name our son Kailash! We're not Indian, though, and ended up choosing a name that reflects our own heritage. Your names do read very Irish to me, and I like all the original Indian names you have. I have known some people named Rian, Deven, and Devan, so they're not super uncommon. Personally, I would vote for any of the Indian inspiro names you have. However, given the "find on a keychain" and don't want to mispronounce, and has some connection to an inspiro name, I would say Ryan and Devin are the ones most likely to fit those parameters. Kieran and Kai are less likely to be spelled correctly and pronounced correctly, and are just less common in the US. Evan and Ethan are common and will be easily spelled, pronounced, and found on a keychain, but don't fit your criteria of matching an inspiro name. 
  • 00kim00 said:
    That's so funny, my husband REALLY wanted to name our son Kailash! We're not Indian, though, and ended up choosing a name that reflects our own heritage. Your names do read very Irish to me, and I like all the original Indian names you have. I have known some people named Rian, Deven, and Devan, so they're not super uncommon. Personally, I would vote for any of the Indian inspiro names you have. However, given the "find on a keychain" and don't want to mispronounce, and has some connection to an inspiro name, I would say Ryan and Devin are the ones most likely to fit those parameters. Kieran and Kai are less likely to be spelled correctly and pronounced correctly, and are just less common in the US. Evan and Ethan are common and will be easily spelled, pronounced, and found on a keychain, but don't fit your criteria of matching an inspiro name. 
    Very logical  (clearly my mama brain has not been lately). Ryan and Devin fit the mark well. Do you think Kai sounds trendy? 
  • vizmama said:. 
    Very logical  (clearly my mama brain has not been lately). Ryan and Devin fit the mark well. Do you think Kai sounds trendy? 
    Yes, Kai is pretty trendy. I work with babies and I've had a few Kais in the past 3 years. So it'll be common enough, but I still don't think I've seen it on a keychain!
  • I agree Kai feels trendy. I associate it with parents who are going for a Hawaiian/surfer vibe