Baby Names
Options

Leighton vs. Layton for Boy! Help :)

We love the name Leighton for a boy and I’m due in January. We are trying to decide if we should spell it Layton or Leighton. It is pronounced LAY TYNN With Leighton spelling we are afraid of people saying LEE TON With Layton spelling we are thinking more people are less likely to mess it up?. Am I overthinking this!? Which spelling do you prefer for a boy? Thanks…

Re: Leighton vs. Layton for Boy! Help :)

• Options
    It looks like you got lots of good input on your last post. I believe Leighton is more accepted as the “correct” spelling. That being said I’ve only ever seen this name for a girl if that matters to you. 
  • Options
    I've only heard it on Leighton Meester (female). Layton feels more male to me, maybe because of the similarity to Clayton. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn’t mispronounce Leighton if spelled that way—looks like “sleigh” so it makes sense.
  • Options
    I wouldn’t think Lee-ton so I think you’re good! To me Leighton seems to be the more masculine spelling for some reason. And I don’t think it’s a girl name! 
  • Options
    Layton seems more masculine to me- but I think as mentioned earlier it's because I think of "Clayton'. 🤷‍♀️ Love the name though!
  • Options
    yamjyamj member
    Which spelling did you go with?