August 2023 Moms
Options

Product Highlight #1: cribs, bassinets and other sleep spaces

STM/STM+ feel free to drop your your recommendations for sleep spaces. 

FTMs drop your questions or what you are thinking about getting!
PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
PG #3: EDD 12/15/23

Re: Product Highlight #1: cribs, bassinets and other sleep spaces

• Options
    I’m going to break the rules here and be a STM with a question. Has anyone used a bedside co-sleeper? Any recommendations? 
  • Options
    @tumbleweed-1 I have never used one of those. I usually just cosleep in the bed. My babies always need to be touching me. 

I have used a cradle with all of my kids. It’s kinda sentimental now and I love the fact they have all used it. I have never gotten anything with all the bells and whistles because I’m scared to death of adding sleep crutches. Anything that puts them at an angle or vibrations etc, are all things that will have to be phased out later. I have other sleep crutches that I add like nursing to sleep and cosleeping from day 1. So basically, I just try to limit what I can. It’s all a personal preference though. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had one of those Soothing Motions bassinets a friend loaned us, but my daughter HATED IT. No one slept while she used it. After a week we swapped it out with a pack n play in our room and lordy it was a 180. We will absolutely be doing that this time around and skipping getting cute with a bassinet or whatever.

We also were gifted (from my FIL, hope he does it for #2 too) a 4-in-1 convertible crib, and I love it (as does my daughter). We moved her to that at 8 weeks, in her own room, because that was about when she was getting unnecessarily noisy and just wanted a paci every 45 minutes and I was tired of it. We have a DaVinci brand (Nolan model) and it's been great for us -- really well-made, even during her beaver phase it didn't scratch up too bad, and it's a darling toddler bed now, but will also be really cute as a day bed (if we use it like that) and a headboard. One thing we discovered I love about it but had no idea when we chose it -- having a solid back, rather than bars all around it, is great for pacifiers since they don't fall out the back of it. We taught her to get her own pacis and always put them at the back of the crib, and she always had a supply there (she got 6 in the crib every night). For this one, I don't know if I'll do the same model, but if it isn't it'll at least be similar.
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 so do you have more than one kid in the bed or how do you add additional babies? 😂 My 3 yr old slept in our bed with us. Now that he’s older he starts the night in his room, but halfway through the night usually returns right between me and SO. I only have a queen size, and I’m wondering where do I put the newborn? I tried a bassinet next to me with DS, but it didn’t work for us and he went straight into the bed. 
  • Options
    @tumbleweed-1 my girls share a room and my boys share a room. I let them come to my room when they need me and sometimes I let them climb into bed but I usually take them back to their room after awhile. I have never really had an issue with any of them not wanting to leave my bed. 
  • Options
    @tumbleweed-1 this is why I could never bedshare 🙈 my bed is a protected space 😅 I go get my 3yo in the morning to cuddle but that's the extent of it. I could not sleep with her. She's too hot and to restless. 

I liked our pack n play with a bassinet feature I'll be using that again. Though I'm debating getting a smaller bassinet so the packnplay can stay on the first floor. But idk. I also have to rest the crib and graduate DD to a big girl bed. 
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Options
    We did the 4moms pack n play with bassinet feature in our room until we moved him to his crib. I’m also big on avoiding sleep crutches — surely that’s why I now have a thumb sucker! I think we’ll do the same this time around or try to find a cradle or something every so slightly smaller because our new bedroom is small. We moved to a crib, a babyletto, around 10 weeks. We love it! He’s been in it ever since and he’s now 19 months. It’ll convert to a toddler bed when it’s time which is nice. 
  • Options
    My first coslept for a long time but still used her crib on occasion. My second never used her crib and initially we had her in the pack and play with the sleeper attachment until she began to roll. She has coslept since. I like my sleep lol and they always slept better with me. I will probably look into a cosleeper this time because at times we still get both girls in the bed and our three cats. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    I coslept with DS for the first month and then he went in the crib. Once he was in a toddler bed though he would start in bed and end in mine. For this baby we’re in a new house with kids rooms upstairs so I think we’ll do a pack n play in our room at night, naps in crib during the day just so baby is used to the crib when it’s time to move out of our room. I wouldn’t mind cosleeping but our bed is just a queen and SO is over 6ft but our room also isn’t big enough for a king so🤷🏽‍♀️
  • Options
    Bumping this up. 

For my DS we started with a bassinet next to my side of the bed, but my postpartum recovery was rough and it was too much for me to lift him out over the little wall (reason I’m interested in an attachable co-sleeper). He ended up in our bed entirely by 2 weeks. We moved all the pillows and blankets away from the center and he used a sleep sack. He’s 4 now and in his own room most of the night. 

He had a generic ikea crib that we sometimes used for naps. By the time he was 6 months old we took apart the frame and used the mattress as a floor bed. He would also at times nap in a rock and play- right before those were recalled. 
  • Options
    I’ve been looking at bassinets this time. My DS is old enough that we used the rock ‘n play beside the bed for a few months but they’re all recalled now so I’m definitely not using it again. With DS we had a pack n play in my room next to my bed but it wasn’t close enough. I realized after he was born that I needed him right next to the bed where I could reach over and touch him, so I’ll want something with this babe as well. Anyone have a bassinet they love?
  • Options
    We used a Snoo with my first and it was magical. We just rented it but I'm wishing we would've bought it. We used it right up until she was 6 months old. No issues transferring out. She moved straight out to a PNP and then to her crib.
  • Options
    Bumping this up if anyone has more questions or products to recommend 
  • Options
    My first two were in cribs from the start. Our third we bought a fisher price soothing motions second hand and then sold it again when we were done. It was fine, but would clatter if baby moved. So I’m thinking of trying something else, maybe the Halo bassinet? I don’t really want to spend a tonne of money on something that we’ll use for ~4months. There are a lot of Halos on FB marketplace, so might try it? Has anyone had one? Did you hate it?
  • Options
    I live in a one bedroom and we’re not planning to move until the baby is a bit older, so we’re just squeezing in one room for now. The room is small and can’t fit a crib so we’re thinking of a bassinet side bed sleeper but there’s so many options out there. I saw a few online that also rock? Thought that was interesting but might be more than I need. 
  • Options
    @pickle-chips my friend has one and while she likes it, she said it's useful for only a short time before baby grows out of it (she also had a bigger baby). If you see a good deal on marketplace, I'd say go for it
  • Options
    anything you guys found useful in a crib that I should look for? There’s so many extra features and it’s hard to know what’s actually useful and what’s just a marketing gimmick.
  • Options
    @cherrystorming at this point it’s all aesthetic. Does it fit a crib mattress and is it sturdy? Perfect. Most cribs these days will turn into frames for other sized beds and that’s nice but since they mostly all do that I basically see them all as functionally the same. We ended up just buying one from someone in our town for $35 lol
  • Options
    that’s kind of what I’ve been thinking too! I was wondering tho if there’s other things like somebody said above about having a solid back instead of bars all around to keep pacis out the back. 
  • Options
    We used the Halo bassinet for DD for the first few weeks before transitioning her to crib. It is super convenient and we loved it, but it is pricey. The base is also super heavy which makes it so stable - but not looking forward to lugging that back up to our room from the basement   :s
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    @cherrystorming I used those mesh “bumpers” for DS and that kept pacis in really well also kept him from sticking his feet through the bars. That pretty much was the only purpose of it lol we’ll use the same one with this baby too

ETA: they no longer call them mesh bumpers, they call them mesh crib liners
  • Options
    @cherrystorming I do wish our crib was convertible so we could take the one side off because our toddler tries to climb into it by himself. But it was a hand-me-down and we took what we could get! 
  • Options
    @cherrystorming that was me! We have the DaVinci Nolan style and I love it. It's a convertible one so we could transition her to a toddler bed on it, and it'll be a headboard/footboard for a full bed too.

If you do get a convertible one, get the conversion kits right off the bat, in case the model gets discontinued -- you'll want to make sure you can still convert it!
  • Options
    We had a bassinet with our first for a little while and then it became a laundry hamper and we co-slept. This time I’m ordering a bedside co sleeper thing and going to try to keep both girls out of my bed. Mama needs some space 😂 below is the one I picked. Came highly recommended by a mom of 8  
  • Options
    @bumbly_b23 thanks for the review! I wanted to get a bedside cosleeper with my son, but went the cheaper bassinet route. It did not work out well and he was in my bed by 2 weeks old. He’s 4 now and still in my bed half the night 3/4 of the time 😅 There isn’t room to put a newborn between me, DS, and SO. We need a cosleeper this time! 
  • Options
    We do a bassinet for the newborn stage. It fits small spaces easily. Plus, all of my babies have used that cradle so it’s kinda sentimental now. Then I just use a pack n play with a memory foam mattress in my room until I’m ready for them to move to their own room. 

I also use the mesh liners/bumpers for the crib to keep their little legs from getting stuck in the bars. Once they start standing I take them out so they don’t use them to launch themselves from the crib. 
  • Options
    I’m pretty strict about keeping it simple. Baby starts in a bassinet insert in the pack n play and moves to a crib with no frills. One tip with the crib: get natural wood so that when baby starts gnawing on it like mine did, you won’t have to worry about them eating paint chips!
    The Snoo and all that sounds amazing but you always have to get rid of those things and I’d hate to go through that. We haven’t had a newborn in this house yet and so I’m not 100% sure our current pack n play will fit close enough to my bed for me to feel like baby is close. I need to measure. 
  • Options
    For DS’s crib I went with a cheap one that was cute. I didn’t worry about the conversion kits or anything. When it was time to move him to a big boy bed he went straight into a Full and it was honestly the best decision for us. All 3 of us (plus the dog) lie down together at night and cuddle before he falls asleep. We just kept the mattress on the floor until he was old enough to not fall out of bed. 
  • Options
    There are so many options online when my SO and I were doing our amazon registry. We were so torn with bassinets because what do we go for? Practical? Brand name? I saw a few that rocked the baby and some that didn’t. Some were steady bases but didn’t have storage underneath. Some can connect to the bed and some don’t. I would like something on wheels so we can move it around.  So many options!! 
  • Options
    @lmn823 fwiw, bassinets that rock the baby might work out well for some folks, but keep in mind that either a, the baby hates it and no one sleeps, or b, the baby likes it and then you have to teach them to sleep in something that doesn't rock. Kind of feels like lose/lose. (In our case, it was VEHEMENTLY the first -- she hated her bassinet, but slept just fine in a pack n play set at the bassinet level, which worked out great because we really needed a laundry receptacle in the living room so that's what the bassinet became. Thank God we had only borrowed it from a friend and didn't have to pay for it.)