1st Trimester
Options

TW: Recurrent Miscarriage

What are the odds of having 3 recurrent miscarriages due to chromosomal abnormalities? I have a two year old boy, then went on to miscarry twice. The first I did not test but the second we tested the tissue and it was due to an uninheritable chromosomal abnormality. Ultimately it would just be really really bad luck for it to happen with that cause 3 times? I would guess usually if you have 3 in a row it’s due to other causes?

I’m currently 7w pregnant and baby is on track with a strong heartbeat but I’m just curious on the odds of it happening again.

Re: TW: Recurrent Miscarriage

• Options
    @mdrl_1 I'm sorry for your losses.  However, the odds really depend on a huge variety of things from your specific medical situation.  So, we cannot tell you that.  I can personally tell you, as someone who has had 5 MCs and no living children and who has been on these boards (primarily the MC/loss boards) since 2015, that I have seen many MANY women come in with a MC and go on to have healthy babies.  I've seen a LOT of women have 2 MCs in a row (especially after 1 living baby), and then go on to have more living babies.  Oftentimes with 2 MCs in a row, they have early losses, sometimes one is even a CP. 

The number of women whom I have seen have 3 MCs in a row is very low, especially after having already had a living birth. The RPL section of the world is it's own hellish place to live, and the scarcity of this problem also makes it lonely and isolating.  If you were to lose your current PG, I would highly recommend RPL panel of testing with an RE on you and your partner, which after 3 losses insurance usually covers.
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• Options
    @stormageddon-darklordofall thank you so much for replying and I’m so incredibly sorry for your losses. You are so strong for getting through them. My doctor doesn’t think there is reason to believe I won’t go on to have a healthy pregnancy but I haven’t done the full panel of testing solely because she thinks the past two were just bad luck. I would definitely do more testing if I lose this one. But it’s so hard not to worry. Have they been able to give you any answers? I’m sorry you have to see so many people on here experience loss and go on to have healthy pregnancies. I know that can be really difficult. I wish nothing but good things for you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mdrl_1 No, unfortunately I'm in the % of people who've done a lot of testing and still ended up with Unexplained RPL for a diagnosis.  Definitely sucks.  But am grateful I did the testing and that I didn't keep losing babies for some preventable/fixable reason.  2 is definitely common, so the odds really are on your side.  Although I know how scary it can be to be PG when you feel as though the odds are against you.  It also hurts to keep losing babies and have doctors brush it off as "common. Just try again."  :(  I hope this one works out for you!

*TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• Options
    @stormageddon-darklordofall thank you for saying that. I’ve posted this question on a few different forums and I’m finding most people responding have had many miscarriages which makes it feel like it’s inevitable I have another. But I’m sure those people are just drawn to these posts since they’ve experienced recurrent loss. 

I’m so sorry for everything you’ve been through. Your attitude is really so inspiring. I know it’s not at all easy, but it’s so helpful to others to be able to talk about it. I really appreciate your encouraging words and I hope one day you’ll get your miracle baby!!