February 2023 Moms

Gestational diabetes

I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Very scary. Anyone else?

Re: Gestational diabetes

• Hi! I have been managing GD since the beginning of my second trimester. I find that if you integrate and practice regularly healthy eating habits, exercise, and control your blood sugars within healthy ranges, you can have a perfectly healthy pregnancy and labor delivery. I highly recommend reading Lily Nichol’s “Real Food for Gestational Diabetes” to give you a solid foundation of knowledge on how to manage your blood sugars moving forward. Happy to answer any other questions you might have about it and what my journey has been like. You are definitely not alone dealing with GD and also, it’s not as scary as you think it is ❤️
  • I was diagnosed with gd at 28 weeks. It definitely has been very hard for me. I've been so stressed out worrying if baby will be ok when born 😞 
  • Loading the player...
  • @knottie as long as you’re working with your provider, GD is totally manageable and can be safe for you and your baby. The biggest worries for the baby are that they grow too big and you end up with a C-section, and that after they’re born they need help regulating their blood sugar. Neither of those are ideal, of course, but they’re totally manageable if you work with your care providers: it may mean that you need to supplement with formula or donor milk at first, for example, to keep their blood sugar high enough, or they might need a little extra glucose through a different route.  They may have you do a little extra monitoring (like a growth ultrasound or non-stress tests) to check on the baby, but there’s no reason to be afraid. That’s all to ensure a healthy outcome for you and your baby, not to scare you. You can do your own monitoring, too, with kick counts, which can be incredibly reassuring.

If your GD isn’t well-controlled, there are some scarier outcomes, but those are very uncommon if you’re keeping open communication with your providers about your blood sugar levels and making sure to keep up with your diet, exercise, and medication.
  • elmich3elmich3 member
    edited January 2023
    I'm on baby #4 and first time diagnosed with GD. It FREAKED me out to say the least haha I was obsessed and have never been so stressed lol I didn't want to be high risk and have more appointments or intervention. And I was mad because I failed my 3 hour by 1 point lol I was diagnosed at 28 weeks and am now 34 weeks and in a much better place lol I've found what works for me and it's not so bad now. I'm diet controlled and my doctor said as long as I can do that I can have a normal labor. 

When I first started testing, my numbers were all over the place which made me sick with stress. I felt hopeless. Fasting was always 93-97 so always almost not good and after meal was fine but not consistent. Now I've been sticking with a routine for weeks and I get almost the same great numbers every day. It's boring lol but works! I'm sure it won't work for everyone, but if anyone is desperate like I was lol here's what I do: 

-Set alarm for 8 hours after night snack, wake up and immediately test

-Eat breakfast within the next hour, usually whole wheat toast with peanut butter a Greek yogurt

-Wait 45 minutes, go on elliptical for 15 minutes then test.

-Quest bar for snack

-Eat lunch..Lean Cuisine cauliflower pizza with broccoli on the side

-Wait 45 minutes, go on elliptical for 15 then test

-Quest bar for snack

-Eat dinner..sweet potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts and chicken with chik fil a sauce. 

-Wait 30 minutes, go on elliptical for 30 minutes and test. 

-Drink Premiere Protein shake right before I lay down to sleep. 

And that's what I do every day lol All my numbers have slowly come down so my fasting is usually always 87 and one hour after meals is always 75-100.