PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
PG #3: EDD 12/15/23

Re: Weekly Check-in 1/2

• Options
    Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: 7w6d/aug 15

FTM/STM/STM+: stm

Upcoming appointments: tomorrow ultrasound, 1/6 pcp, 1/20 ob

How are you feeling: woke up hella bloated today. generally tired no matter how I sleep. But mostly ok other than that. 

Rants / Raves: I finally got to enjoy my meatballs I made for New Year's Eve!! Lol. They didn't make me nauseous last night. 

Rant: ugh my neighbor can be such a busy body. We don't plan on telling anyone else until our scan/first ob appointment. And she's all like "omg your skin is glowing it looks fantastic, are you....???" Waggles eyebrows 🙄 I played it off as a good skincare routine. But like come on. 

Questions: nope

GTKY: What's your favorite season? Summer and fall! I love our garden and being out there and enjoying the changing leaves. 
  • Options
    @stashattack major eye roll in your neighbour’s direction.

Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: Aug 26, 6 weeks. 

FTM/STM/STM+: STM+

Upcoming appointments: I have an initial telehealth appointment with my family doc on Friday. 

How are you feeling: Queasy, exhausted and anxious. 

Rants / Raves: the healthcare system in my province is broken. I have spent the last three days on an odyssey for an ultrasound. 

Questions: has anyone taken the opportunity to transition careers after a pregnancy? 

GTKY: What's your favorite season? Definitely the fall. I love the cool, crisp air. Crunchy colourful leaves. It’s such a cosy season.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: I’m going with august 28th because that lines up better with my ovulation. Which would make me 6 weeks I think. 

FTM/STM/STM+: STM+ 

Upcoming appointments: I have an ultrasound Tuesday. I won’t make it if the kids are sick though. 

How are you feeling: I have a nagging nauseous feeling but at this point I’m playing the, is it the virus or morning sickness game. I hope it’s morning sickness. I can push through morning sickness. Stomach viruses not so much. I’m the one with the man colds in this house. 

Rants / Raves: I’m missing out on playing in my friend’s igloo that she made from ice. I’m the one who mentioned coming over and we ended up making it an event with all our friends and since the baby is sick we can’t go. I’m hoping we can go Thursday night. It will be fun at night because we will have lanterns and it will light up the ice. FX no one else gets sick. 

Questions: none 

GTKY: What's your favorite season? I love summer. Our days are so long and when the sun goes down it’s still twilight outside. We even go on midnight hikes, tidepool, spend hours at the lake. It’s amazing. It’s so dark in the winter that everyone is eager to get as much of the sun as they can. 
  • Options

@stashattack I had a neighbor ask me if I know how to prevent pregnancy when they found I was pregnant with our third. I thought it was so rude. So at least she wasn’t rude. 

@pickle-chips I used to love fall when I lived in the south. It means sweaters and warm drinks. We only get a week or so of fall and then winter hits. So it’s not really a season. 
  • Options
    Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: 8/16, 7w5d

FTM/STM/STM+: STM

Upcoming appointments: One at the end of January but I’m not sure if I’ll keep that. I think I’m switching to midwives at a birth center

How are you feeling: nauseous all the time, throwing up usually once a day at least. Living off fruit and hot dogs.

Rants / Raves: my SO has been the best picking up my slack! Very thankful for him!

GTKY: What's your favorite season? Fall! Fall is just calmer. I’m usually just finishing up a busy canning/gardening season and I can finally relax before winter rolls around and holidays start up. 
  • Options
    @stashattack glad you finally got to enjoy your meatballs! 

@pickle-chips your cluster f*ck ultrasound situation sounds exhausting and frustrating. I’m sorry you’ve had to deal with all that.

@emeraldcity603 ugh sorry you’re dealing with stomach viruses. The igloo get together sounds really fun. FX you can go on Thursday!

@justyouraveragemama ooof I hope your nausea improves soon. Glad YH is picking up slack.

Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: 8/29, 5w6d

Upcoming appointments: 2nd US on 1/13

How are you feeling: SO tired! Sore boobs and intermittent mild nausea

Rants / Raves: DH absolutely has sleep apnea but getting him to call and do something about it is driving me insane. He snores SO loudly and I hear him stop breathing frequently while he’s sleeping so I’m confident he has it. Ughh 

GTKY: What's your favorite season? Definitely fall! Football, cool temperatures, beautiful leaves, soup, apple cider! I am here for all of it. I also love winter though. Give me all of the snow!
  • Options
    @gingermama29 you can have some of my snow. We have been dumped on numerous times. We got 4 feet in one week early December. My deck was piled to the top with snow. I had to pay my kids to shovel it off because I was sick with the flu and couldn’t tolerate being in the cold temperatures. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 that's BS! What shitty neighbors. And you are making miss Alaska. I've only been once, but I have some (dwindling) family members. I definitely want to visit again someday.

@pickle-chips I'm sorry your healthcare is being difficult

@gingermama29 what is it with me and getting them to schedule anything with DRs! Drives me nuts.
  • Options
    @stashattack That neighbor was crazy. He got super mad at me over my dog because my dog would run the fence and his dog would run the fence with him. He told me it was my responsibility to keep his dog from running the fence by keeping my dog from running the fence. How crazy is that. I considered that my dog’s daily exercise. We even put up a chicken wire fence about 6 feet away from his fence to keep our dog away from his dog. His dog still ran the fence. Apparently his dog had just had knee surgery. Still, not my problem. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 ugh. He sounds absolutely nuts. I really hate bad neighbors. We have a couple them in our court and I just try to avoid them like the plague. 
  • Options
    @stashattack Luckily where we live now we have wonderful neighbors. 
  • Options
    Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: 8/5, 9w4d

Upcoming appointments: 1/12- u/s and meet with midwife

How are you feeling: This baby was not planned and I think I’m starting to get over the shock and feel more excited. 

Rants / Raves: I told my boss yesterday. I’m the only employee with a young child, which is odd. Every other child care center I’ve worked at usually has a few parents(mothers) of young kids. And here I go again 😅 But it was nice to get it off my chest and not worry about her hearing it from my son, who I think is catching on. And it’s weird to me to not tell my immediate coworkers- who I spend most of my time with- so now I feel able to share with them too. 

Questions:

GTKY: What's your favorite season? My default answer is fall, but I’ve really been working at enjoying all of the seasons as I’ve gotten older. By the end of each one I’m so ready for what’s next- rain, sun, warmth, etc. 
  • Options
    Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: August 27th 2023 6 weeks +3

FTM/STM/STM+: STM (my first will be 8 in March) 

Upcoming appointments: ultrasound January 13th and family dr the 19th

How are you feeling: hungover 24/7- nauseous, tired, head ache, achy. 

Rants / Raves: I was 23 the last time I was pregnant and don’t remember feeling this crappy. My SO raves how well I handled pregnancy that time, but this time it’s kicking my butt and I feel bad complaining for someone reason

Questions: how do you act fine at work all day? It’s exhausting in its own way (I only started this job 1st of November so want to make it past my probation before I tell anyone at work) 

GTKY: What's your favourite season? Summer but we will see how much I like it being pregnant this year
  • Options
    I've been a bit MIA because of the holidays! Back to the normal routine now. 

Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: Aug 11 / 8+4

Upcoming appointments: This Friday, finally!! I cannot wait for my first ultrasound. 

How are you feeling: Nervous and excited at the same time. I've been less nauseous these days and I try not to let it get in my head since I know symptoms come and go. 

Rants / Raves: I managed to keep my toddler entertained and alive for the whole week we were off. I love him to bits, but I'm glad he's back at daycare today! 

Questions: How early do you find out the baby's gender? In Canada, it's between 18-21 weeks and that seems so far away.

GTKY: What's your favorite season? Summer, definitely summer. I have dry skin and hair so the humidity does wonders for me haha I way prefer to be warm than cold. I might regret saying this though come July/Aug and we're full term...
  • Options
    @gingermama29 my DH has sleep apnea too! It got so bad I made him do a sleep study and they confirmed it. Hoping to get a CPAP machine soon so we can all rest. Thank god for spare bedrooms.
  • Options
    @wendy838 we don’t have AC in our house and we get a good solid week of really high temps and it’s so hot I sleep with a bag of ice directly on my skin. 
  • Options
    Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: 8/10 now I think? / Almost 9w (apparently it won't matter, my OB already told me she wants to do a scheduled CS at least a week early)

Upcoming appointments: 12-week appt on 1/26

How are you feeling: more like normal. Some nausea at night (like mild MS but before bed, not in the morning) and some fatigue but it hasn't been as bad

Rants / Raves: Long rant, so skip if you want: I'm...a little on the fence with my OB. The one I saw for my DD was AMAZING but is now about an hour away, since we moved. I loved her so much and am kind-of-not-really-but-maybe weighing if it's worth it to drive down to see her this pregnancy. The OB I saw last week is who my sister + another good friend see, and I really liked her, except two things that keep bugging me. First, she kind of second-guessed my OB in my first delivery, since my daughter was huge (9lb 12oz) and still delivered vaginally, after 3 hours of pushing. To be fair, I questioned that at the time too (especially since I did have a 3rd degree tear) BUT my recovery was an absolute breeze and frankly the woman has been delivering babies longer than I've been alive so I totally trusted her. If she believes it was the right call (and it turns out it was), I get a little defensive with the armchair quarterbacking. Second, and I don't mean this to get all political so PLEASE don't read it this way, I haven't gotten a covid vaccine. I'm not antivax or anything, we're all up to date in everything else, but with that one and the (documented) issues some women had with periods after it, we chose to not have me get it since we were toying with the idea of Baby #2 and at my age I didn't want to dink up my cycles and make it even harder to conceive, if I was affected by that. Anyway, my OB launched into this "my job is just to educate BUT just so you know" story about some woman who apparently is a patient of *someone* in the practice who was hospitalized with simultaneous flu+RSV+covid and had to have an emergency C-section "and I haven't heard if the baby made it". Ok, sad story, but clearly a manipulative ploy -- anyone pregnant and getting all those simultaneously (is that even possible?) would obviously be in the hospital regardless of whether they got a vaccine. But I don't like the thought that she'd call it "education" to tell me about the most extreme possible anecdote -- it just sort of undermines my trust in her. She comes really highly recommended, and like I said, outside of those two things I actually really liked her, but that just didn't sit well with me and now I'm debating finding a different OB. Problem is, I'm kind of old-school and would prefer an older OB, and I don't know what the deal is but in my city of nearly one million people, I think like 90% of the OBs here are my age or younger. GAH! I want an OB who's seen some shit, and if you yourself are not advanced maternal age, I don't want you advising my AMA pregnancy. Where are all the old people???

Questions: on that note, anyone have a C-section before? Tell me about your recovery from that. (Bonus points if you had a kid already at home.) Since my DD had a macrosomia diagnosis and was right about 10 pounds when we induced at 39 weeks, I wasn't anywhere near having GD, and I did tear pretty far, my OB said we can see how this one goes but for now expect a scheduled C-section at 38-39 weeks. If that's what's best, cool, but I'm a little leery of how recovery would go with a 4-year-old at home plus a (probably) big baby. Thank God my husband's job has awesome paternity leave (SIX WEEKS PAID HALLELUJAH THERES MY RAVE).

GTKY: What's your favorite season? Summer. Always summer. We get pretty extreme versions of all four seasons here and I hate, hate, hate cold weather and will never complain about the heat because the flip side is the weeks where we don't break 0° and those are miserable. I went to a super crowded baseball game, complete with tailgating, two days before I delivered my DD in mid-June, and would do that every single day of this pregnancy before I would welcome the frigid cold. (I do like spring, too, but mostly because it means it's almost summer.)
  • Options

Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: 8/23 7weeks-ish? Third time and I’m already losing track 😂

FTM/STM/STM+: STM + third 

Upcoming appointments: 1/16 u/s!!!!! And 2/13 first visit. 

How are you feeling: just really tired, lazy, nauseous on and off

Rants / Raves: work called me today (I’m on a staycation). My office manager was out sick so my admin lost her mind. I wasted my day working remotely to help out with our new years required paperwork. I hate to think what happens when I go on leave. 

Questions: n/a

GTKY: What's your favorite season? It’s between Spring and Fall. We usually have decent weather in both seasons. Summer tends to be really humid but this past summer wasn’t too bad. I got a lot of things planted! 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    @ki1244 I can’t believe the OB tried using scare tactics on you! How horrible!! I grew up constantly in the hospital and some of the things they gave me had horrible side effects that I wouldn’t have taken had I known the risks. Since then I’ve become very outspoken for informed consent for all medical treatments so the patient can decide if the risks outweigh the benefits/possible side effects, etc. the fact that she didn’t give you information on why she thinks you should and instead went straight to try and scare you into changing your mind is a huge red flag. I’d say drive to your old OB.
  • Options
    @ki1244 like @justyouraveragemama said, giving you a worst case scenario is not the same as giving you the information. Information is statistics and risks and weighing pros and cons. I don’t know if those two things are worth the trouble of switching. An hour drive will be even less convenient when you get to every other week and weekly appointments. I’m glad to hear your recovery went well the first time. I also had a 3rd degree tear after 3 hours of pushing. A little different because mine was an episiotomy and additional tearing. Recovery was rough. 

My sister has 3 kids, all c-sections. I came and stayed with her for a week with the middle baby (then watched her oldest at my place for almost another week). Our mom lived near her and helped too with both siblings. I wasn’t able to help in that way with her 3rd. If you have a support network, hopefully you can get the rest you’ll need. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    @ki1244 I don’t like doctors being pushy with the COVID vaccine either. Especially fear mongering. I would be concerned about what will happen when it comes close to your due date. A lot of doctors want to induce for no reason simply because you are AMA. Once you open that door to early intervention it doesn’t stop because early interventions can cause a chain reaction that requires more intervention. 

Edit to add: if she is using scare tactics now with a vaccine, what will she say to scare you down the road to convince you to get an early induction, etc. 
  • Options
    @ki1244 maybe it’s time to shop for a new OB, you have time. That would run me
    the wrong way. Especially telling you about other patient’s high risk situation. You want to feel comfortable. They could have form about that in a much better way. 

Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    @justyouraveragemama @tumbleweed-1 @emeraldcity603 thanks for validating my irritation. I guess to be fair she told me that getting COVID can give me high blood pressure, so I guess that's the informational side? (Counterpoint: THIS CONVERSATION is also giving me high blood pressure, and the vaccine won't stop me from getting COVID anyway.) I get that she doesn't know me yet so she wouldn't know that she can skip the tall tales and just give me numbers and I'll understand it. Tell me odds. Tell me statistics. Don't tell me about someone you heard about one time and hint that if I don't get a fairly controversial vaccine while pregnant (immediately after validating my concern that while TTC it could have caused issues with my reproductive cycle, to boot) I somehow am trying to off my own kid.

As far as early intervention...I mean, I was induced early with my DD, and my OB had actually tried to get me in a little earlier to deliver but the hospital was full, go figure. And it very well could be that an early C-section is the right call this time, if this baby winds up as big as my first. ( @tumbleweed-1 I actually had an episiotomy too, after my epidural had worn off, and good god that was horrifying -- but I swear this woman was a wizard and within 18 hours I was on an occasional ibuprofen and forgot I even had stitches.) My OB also sees my sister, who had a SUPER traumatic delivery of my niece (under a different OB's care, so not her fault but she's had to manage the fallout, which was so bad that my sister was no longer able to have biological children, there was so much physical damage), so that's probably at play a little here too, since I'm so spooked of having a delivery like that. But when she says "I wouldn't have had you even try vaginally if she was measuring that big", that irrationally bugged me. If we're still living here, having support is no big deal -- my parents are 5 minutes away, my sister is a 15 minute drive up the road, I have a few friends who live here who won't let me so much as fold my own laundry, and my husband will be off work for six full weeks (or more, if need be). I just...hope it's the right call and not the easy call.
  • Options
    I plan to! I currently work as a csr for body shop dealing with a lot of insurance claims, I have decided to make the change to an insurance agent and going to use my mat leave to do this course and test
  • Options
    @pickle-chips not neccessarily a full career change, but DH and I started a microgreens farm back in 2021 almost two years after DD. We hope to eventually be able to buy land and run the micros/farm business full time. One day. When real estate prices go back down. LOL
  • Options
    @ki1244 I got COVID when I was pregnant with my last baby. We actually thought we had a mild cold. It wasn’t until people around us started testing positive that we even knew. My blood pressure was fine. I think she is telling you worst case scenarios. I personally have opted out of the vaccine while pregnant and breastfeeding. Mainly because there wasn’t enough evidence that it couldn’t harm my baby. So…you have to weigh the pros and cons and make the right decision for you. 
  • Options
    Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: 8/9 / 9 weeks today!

FTM/STM/STM+: FTM

Upcoming appointments: first in-person on January 25th

How are you feeling: Pretty good overall. Still no morning sickness, still hungry, still tired. In the past week I've been having very vivid dreams and waking up about 4 am out of nowhere, which is basically unheard of for me, so that's not nice.

Rants / Raves: I really hope that insomnia goes awaaaay! I thought I'd have a few more months of sleeping like a rock before my sleep schedule changed forever :')

We told our parents and some of our extended family over the holidays, and it was so lovely. Everyone was excited and it was comforting hearing all the pregnancy experiences/wisdom from my mom and cousins and aunts. 

My mom really wants to throw a shower, and I'd love that, but I now live across the country, so it'll be a negotiation as to where...

Also, no one in my family found out whether they were having a boy or a girl beforehand! I thought I was weird for that, but apples and trees. My mom had her first and only ultrasound at 8 months because they couldn't hear my heartbeat in the doppler and that was it. And here I thought I was late having an ultrasound at 12 weeks! Different times.

Questions: 
    - Any tips for insomnia? I used to occasionally take 1 mg of melatonin and see Unisom has 5 mg, so I'm worried it'll lay me out.
    - Anyone do prenatal yoga classes? Were they worth it? I used to do regular yoga and don't know if I want to commit to an in-person class or find videos online and try that way... If I don't do that class I'd get a pool membership.

GTKY: What's your favorite season?
    Autumn! Early autumn, when there's just a little edge of chill to the air and the leaves are starting to turn. I also like spring for similar reasons (getting a little warmer, new buds), so maybe I actually like transition-seasons?
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 I'm not actually planning to get it while pregnant. My dad is a retired doctor/medical school professor and he and I have talked pretty extensively about risks/benefits (both pregnant and not) and the unknowns, for me, outweigh any possible benefits. Totally recognize others may not reach that conclusion and I completely respect that -- I just don't come to that conclusion for myself. I've personally had it twice (most recently in August) and it was fairly mild, and while it may not be as easy while pregnant, it just isn't a risk/benefit profile that adds up for me. 

@pickle-chips I sort of did? I'd been working full-time as the advertising/PR director for a mid-size company in town prior to my daughter, but now stay home with her. But I did have my little side hustle then (being a Disney travel agent) that's become more of a job now, although still not full time. The more my DD was in school, the more time I could devote to it, and it's been steadily growing for me, although this baby might sort of pull me back in it for a while. But the idea had been that, if I could keep growing it, when the kid(s?) go to school full time, this would also be more full time, or at least half time and also pick up a part time job (at home, or retail or Instacart or something). I'm not really planning to get back into full-time advertising/PR so it's sort of a career change, but really gradually.