Los Angeles Babies

UCLA - SaMo

Hey there - 

Anyone slotted for birth at the Birth Place at UCLA (16th and Wilshire/Arizona) in SaMo?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: UCLA - SaMo

• I hardly ever check this board, but thought I'd chime in that I'm delivering at the UCLA birth place, but the Westwood campus. Just in case it's of any help to you, since both facilities run similarly. :)
  • I'm currently deciding between here and St John's
  • Loading the player...
  • @emgee27  - I heard that they are very similar. When are you due? I'm due in May, and I am going to do a tour at UCLA SaMo in a couple of weeks. 

@hecubus330 - Hey! I live right next to St Johns - it's a beautiful place! When are you due?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @AmmyBelle I am due March 26th
  • @AmmyBelle  I'm due mid-April, getting close! I'm doing the March birthing classes at the SM location since that's where they hold them, how about you? I spoke to the lady who runs the class schedule and she suggested March so I "don't forget everything" I've learned, hahaha! Seemed late to me but I took her advice. Hopefully no early baby for me!
  • @emgee27 - Which days? Im doing the March classes on the 16th, 23rd, 30 and then April13.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • AmmyBelle said:
    @emgee27 - Which days? Im doing the March classes on the 16th, 23rd, 30 and then April13.
    I'm doing the Monday classes, 7 -14-21-28th.  What a small world that would've been!
  • Hi ladies, I delivered at the SaMo UCLA Birth Place in October. I loved it. Let me know if I can answer any questions or anything for you! 
  • Hi @ktlany - I'm delivering there in May! Right now, the only question I have is how everyone there was re. slow labor? Did they push you towards C-section really quickly, did it depend on your doctor, etc? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I can definitely answer that! My labor was 56 hours long before I asked for a c-section. Even when I asked, the doctor told me I could keep pushing for another hour if I wanted to try. The nurses were all super supportive of me trying for so long to avoid a c-section. They were really helpful with suggestions for positions and helping me change positions often, and when I was pushing they offered me a birthing bar without having to ask for it. I loved my nurses (Kate and Heather) and everyone I came into contact with before and after delivery. Hope that's helpful! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions, too! 
  • @ktlany
    Thanks so much! I actually will probably message you - this already put a lot of the worry in my mind at ease! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi there! I just posted a discussion about UCLA being a public group. My first reaction was that I want the same doctor to deliver my baby, not someone new. Hence why I’m trying to look for a private practice doctor.

I’m seeing Dr. Rana now but she’s also going on mat leave in March so I’ll end up switching anyway.

Sounds like you had a good experience overall? Should I not worry so much about UCLA being a public group?
  • UCLA Westwood is where I am currently planning to go. I was thinking of touring Santa Monica as well because I may want to switch to a midwife. Anyone know if that gives you a greater chance of actually knowing the person who delivers your baby? Any other info on either program I’d love! I wanted a midwife birth at home but they want to induce me early so now I want to be somewhere with more pain management options.