3rd Trimester
Options

Uncontrolled diabetes

So I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes two weeks ago and after trying (unsuccessfully) to control my blood sugar with diet alone, I was prescribed insulin yesterday. Apparently no pharmacy in town has the insulin that I need so it looks like I will have to wait til Monday (3 days later) to start taking it, meanwhile my blood sugar is getting higher! 

I'm just looking for some reassurance that several days of poorly controlled gestational diabetes aren't going to harm this baby, because at this point I'm stressing so hard about everything I eat and how it will affect my blood sugar - it's exhausting! 

Has anyone dealt with anything like this before?

Re: Uncontrolled diabetes

• Options
    This is a question for your doctor. They may be able to Rx an insulin that is more readily available. As to your question, a handful of spikes is usually considered ok, but idk about a few full days uncontrolled.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    How do you feel now? Update please
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lilikrililikri member
    edited November 2022
    My sister takes ozempic injections. It's not exactly insulin, however, somehow related. The instruction here states that if she misses a shot, the dose could be administered within 5 days of the missed one. It's also known that high blood sugar while pregnant increases babies' risk of birth defects, stillbirth, and preterm birth. But of course, it's definitely a question to your doctor, about the timing especially. 
  • Options
    I have type2. Try to drink a lot of water and take a 20-30 min walk after every meal. Don’t do fruit or many carbs till you can get your hands on that insulin. 
  • Options
    In the mornings instead of having a coffee have a  tea or water with lemon it helps control it. Also don't be eating alot of carbs or pasta, bread , cereal all that will spike your sugar. You need to balance out with certain foods. Look up gestational diabetes diet!
  • Options
    Keep your carbs at or below 90 per day and you should see improvement.