1st Trimester
Options

Limbo!

Hello.

My partner and I recently discovered we’re expecting. A few days later, my partner had some light bleeding (a pinkish colour). We went to a weekly diabetic clinic at the local hospital’s antenatal ward as my partner is type 1 diabetic. She discussed the bleeding with the nurses and they said it seemed fairly standard but to keep an eye on it. Following this appointment, my partner discovered slightly more blood after using the toilet but nothing too alarming.

This of course settled in some doubt and upset around whether the pregnancy was ending in a miscarriage or whether this was a normal thing to happen.

We monitored any blood my partner had over the next day while also taking another pregnancy test. The pregnancy test (taken in the morning) came back with a solid blue line and the blood dwindled to nothing as the day progressed. I must add at no point did the blood worsen from the original light bleeding.

This morning my partner did another test, the same as the previous day, but today the line is very faint and without looking hard you would be forgiven for not seeing it.

Has anybody experienced anything like this before or does anybody have any advice?

Cheers

Re: Limbo!

• Options
    Home pregnancy tests are not qualitative. By that I mean, it's yes/no if there's a line or no line, but how dark the line isn't a reliable way to tell anything. Call the OB/midwife. They may order a blood test that is qualitative to see if her HCG numbers are rising appropriately, or they may just say to wait. Bleeding is common in the first trimester in healthy pregnancies, but miscarriages are also common. I've had both outcomes after a situation like yours. Unfortunately there's no way to know unless there's a lot more bleeding (in which case you still want to call the OB) or you go to an OB 
  • Options
    This happened with my CP. I took a test at 9DPO and it was negative. I usually have a line by then. Then I took another test on CD10. There was a decent but faint line. The line stayed the same for a few days and then I started cramping and bleeding and within 2 days my tests were negative again. I bled very light after that. Definitely wasn’t what I would call a normal period. It was way lighter and lasted 3 days. We tried again immediately and got pregnant that cycle. 

Try using a pink dye test. I stay far away from blue dye. They have never been super reliable for me.