March 2023 Moms

Product Spotlight: Nursing/maternity clothes, bras, and accessories

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... nursing/maternity clothes, bras, and accessories! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed. 

For S+TMs: 

Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice:
Favorite [nursing clothes/bras]:
Link/picture:
Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
What you like about it:
What you don't like about it, if anything:
Is there a [nursing clothes/bras] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
Is there a [nursing clothes/bras] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
Additional thoughts on [nursing clothes/bras]?:

For FTMs

[nursing clothes/bras] you're interested in:
Link/picture:
Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Next up: Hospital bag and home birth essentials

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

Re: Product Spotlight: Nursing/maternity clothes, bras, and accessories

• I probably need more advice than I can give since it’s been 4+ years for me. 

I do have some pajama sets and sleep bras from kindred bravely that I thankfully didn’t toss. I didn’t find them to hold up to washing well. The pants shrunk too short and the sleep bras pilled. I’m only 5’6” and found it pretty unacceptable that the pants were floods on me after one washing. 

I also used Rumina brand pump and nurse bras. They still exist but I’m interested in the momcozy bras on Amazon. Plus I got pumping cups so I may be able to get away with more regular nursing bras from target. 

Anyone with experience with the mom cozy? Or where I can get some nursing pajamas/gowns that won’t break the bank that hold up ok? I hate that this industry overinflates pricing on nursing wear. 
  • For S+TMs: 

Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice: I’m a tall gal (5’10”) and am pretty casual dresser. My boobs are a small B pre-pregnancy and pregnant and nursing im a full B. 

Favorite [nursing clothes/bras]: Especially in early days, I loved wearing a nursing tank and a robe. So comfy, so easy. Going out morphs into nursing tank + zip up or a button up. I’m an Old Navy stan so that’s where I get most! If not a nursing tank, a nursing bra + 1st layer type cami. 
    As I’ve migrated to bralettes/ non-underwire, I’m genuinely curious if I’ll need to buy nursing bras. Any thoughts?

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Sub $20 for sure. I’m not trying to spend a lot of money.  

What you like about it: easy access! 
    What you don't like about it, if anything: Nursing bras aren’t exactly the most flattering or supportive, at least on my body I just look dumpy in them, so I try to move back to my normal bras as quickly as possible. 

Is there a [nursing clothes/bras] you don't have but are considering? Why?: A friend recommended almost a sports bra type that instead of the kinds of bras that clip up, you slide it over almost like a wrap dress. Gonna buy a set of those to see how I like them!

Is there a [nursing clothes/bras] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: I mean in general nursing clothes and bras kinda suck, but are a helpful tool 😅
    Additional thoughts on [nursing clothes/bras]?:
  • Loading the player...
  • @heytallmama I have some bralettes that worked ok for nursing, but a classic nursing bra still worked better for me (unfortunately). 

Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice: I am very small chested, and a SAHM so I don’t need to dress for work/pump at work. 

Favorite [nursing clothes/bras]: I much prefer nursing tops that allow access without buttons or zippers, since they were quicker and easier to manage one-handed. 

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): cheaper is better for me - I can’t justify paying a ton for something that I don’t get a lot of wear out of (my nursing periods were pretty short) 

What you like about it: ease of access is key for me. If a top was too complicated I’d rather just wear a regular shirt and lift it. 

What you don't like about it, if anything: they aren’t the most flattering. Nursing bras never fit me well since I have zero chest. 

Is there a [nursing clothes/bras] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I’ll need to invest in some warmer options… our winter lasts until April/may so I can’t survive in t shirts like the last few times!