2nd Trimester

Anatomy scan- soft markers question!!

Recently had my anatomy scan at 19+4 and they saw 2 small placenta lakes which weren’t concerning to them. They also said the bowel was brighter which they said could be from the baby swallowing blood from the placenta lakes leaking into the amniotic fluid. They also saw EFI which was the left ventricle and said is common. Both the EFI and FEB (lighter bowel) are soft markers for Down syndrome. I did the NIPT at 10 weeks and it was negative so they said not to worry about the soft markers. Has anything like this happened to anyone? And if so did you end up having an otherwise healthy baby?

Re: Anatomy scan- soft markers question!!

• Sorry I meant EIF not EFI. It’s a bright spot on the heart.
  • My daughter had a “bright spot” on heart too, and my doctor said it’s very rarely a cause for concern and is considered a normal variation. I definitely wouldn’t worry, especially since you did the NIPT screening at 10 weeks. My daughter is now a perfectly healthy 5YO!
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter had two soft markers (EIF and another one in the brain) and a VSD (hole between the ventricles in the heart). Because we hadn't done an NIPT, they recommend an amniocentesis. I didn't want to wait for an NIPT and then possibly need to wait for an amnio afterwards. The amniocentesis came back normal, and I have a totally healthy 3-year-old.  I heard it's normal now not to do an amnio if you've had the NIPT done.