March 2023 Moms

Product Spotlight: Health and Safety

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Health & Safety!
FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

STMs....

What was essential for you for health and safety products (ex: medication, thermometer, nasal aspirator, etc)?
Products you could have done without?
Any tips?
FTMs...

Any products you're looking at or have questions about?

To view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rQbG7NW_gG7e0zPEbfsTtC0BVCpGPKdi-Ss1XgrKYW8/edit?usp=drivesdk

Next up: Nursing Clothes, bras

Re: Product Spotlight: Health and Safety

• Rectal thermometer. I bought a fancy, expensive forehead/ear one and my ped said they aren't as accurate as that age and to use the cheap ones. She said I can just put it under her arm. 

Medicine: Infant Tylenol, which we actually didn't use until after she was one and fell biting her lip really bad. Teething I used a homeopathic from my naturopath and punkin butt teething oil. They work really well and still use them for my 2yr old. We also give her a cloth with a cold wet corner for her to chew on. Suppository for constipation. I used gripe water and it worked ok but this time around, I'm using Earthley's tummy relief herbal tincture. Earthley's feel better fast tincture for colds. 

Nosefrida nasal aspirator. It's a two person job though 😅 I also used a saline spray to help. 

Humidifier is a must IMO! I have the Frida one. Pro is it has a night light built in. Con. It's small but that's not a huge issue. And it's also a pro since it's easier to fit anywhere.

Nail file. I bought clippers but they were useless. Someone recommended this electic file and I love it! 

Colds: Baby safe cheat rub. I don't remember which one I used. I was trying to get zarbees but it was so hard to find at the time. I make my own now using plant therapys cough essential oil. Make sure you do your research on things like Vick's and cold rubs. Some eucalyptus oils aren't safe for babies. Their coughs are productive at that age so I never used a cough suppressant. 

• We have a nice thermometer with different attachments for oral, rectal, and axillary for the baby stage. I have a tympanic thermometer for the older kids when we used to have to do temp checks for school during Covid. Rectal is honestly best as a baby so we will use that. 

I had a nose frida and hated it. It didn’t sit nicely in my baby’s nostrils. I just swiped a ton of bulb suction things from the hospital and used saline spray. You just have to watch because they get moldy. The hospital once’s have way better suction than ones you can buy at the store. 

For baby days, I swore by gas drops and would often give them before a feed and found they worked better that way. Tylenol is good to have on hand because Motrin isn’t allowed until after 6 months. We tried gripe water and it was ok. Mostly gas drops worked to settle upset bellies. After six months we used Motrin or Tylenol for after shots or teething. We used lots of teething rings, too. 

Obviously baby gates are needed once you get to a mobile stage. It more depends on your house setup. We used a giant hexagonal gate (stretched out) to block off the TV and stuff in our family room. 

I also recommend somewhere safe to set a mobile baby if you need to walk away for any moment. Obviously that can be a crib or sleep area, but I had a completely baby proofed room downstairs as well. This time around I’ve been looking at those pop up baby play yards that are all over Amazon. 
  • Loading the player...
  • edited December 2022
    Wrong thread!
  • Nose Frida is a must. I used Tylenol until Motrin was safe. Gas drops for those nights when nothing seems to settle them. At one point I had about 5 thermometers. I found this one was the only that worked accurately. 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida which thermometer do you have? 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida which thermometer do you have? 
    I think I just got it at a CVS drugstore. It wasn’t anything special but I like that it specifically has a piece for mouths and butts so nobody gets mixed up! 🤣